Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #541
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
This is an extreme example of how to keep the weight of your bike down.

On a semi-serious note, some of the perennial problems that Noobs have on this ride:

1. The bike is too heavy, as the Noob packs the bike with everything that Touratech sells.

2. The bike is too heavy, as the Noob thinks the huge desert tank needs to be completely full of gas for the 100 mile ride.

3. The bike is so heavy when fueled and loaded with luggage that the Noob needs an army to pick up the bike when dropped.

4. The bike spontaneously lightens itself by shaking the things lashed to it with a bungee cord/bungee net/piece of twine/(insert-other-half-assed-method-of-attaching-things-to-a-bike-here) as you ride the bumpy, rocky, and washboarded trails of Death Valley.

5. The bike continues to spontaneously lighten itself by randomly ejecting fasteners.

6. The Noob's tank bag is big enough to fit the contents from the trunk of a mob-driven 1973 Cadillac will not allow the Noob to stand up in the correct position for riding off-road.

7. The bike is in fine shape and can handle the trail conditions and long hours, but the Noob behind the handlebars is physically spent and mentally spent before lunchtime.

8. Those of us leading and sweeping rides understand that Noobs are excited to go see cool stuff and get off of the pavement, but we aren't a concierge service on the trail.

A few solutions:
1. Bring what you need to keep you and your bike going. Tools should be limited to tire tools and tools for general fasteners that can be used in a quick roadside repair, not every tool that you would need to completely disassemble your bike and demagnetize the rain gutters. I recommend that Noobs leave the hard bags back at the campground.

2. Fuel range and capacity is normally what limits riders in Death Valley. The GPS tracks will give you a pretty good idea of how long each ride is. If your bike gets 50mpg, you're inexperienced and only going 100 miles at just over an idle, don't bring 300 miles worth of full-throttle gas with you, it will just wear you out faster.

3. Fuel up, load up, then tip your bike over in a nice flat location. Try to pick it up by yourself. Watch a Youtube video on how to pick up a bike properly. Try again. Start unloading the bike until you can pick it up. Note this, and don't pack any more than this.

4. Load your bike up like you're headed out on the ride you've signed up for. Then walk around and shake the living shit out of every part of your load. Do not be nice about it. If it moves at all, figure out how to lash it down to your bike better. Invest in some cam lock webbing straps and good quality luggage.

5. Check all of the fasteners that you can reach on your bike. Loctite is your friend. Apply it liberally to every fastener that you can reach and retighten to the correct torque.

6. With your bike loaded, go get on it and check your riding positions from sitting to standing. If you can't stand up because things are in the way, move them so you can or remove it from your bike. You may think you're going to miss what's in the tank bag, but you're better off not crashing and injuring yourself because you had bad body position.

7. Start the most important exercise, the Dinner Table Press. Start doing some physical activity, as dual sport riding is a physical activity. It also requires you to be dialed in mentally for long periods of time. We purposely have lots of stops on the Noob rides at the best picture locations and cool stuff, so when its time to ride, please concentrate on your riding.

8. Learn about your bike and make sure it is in good working order. Know how to fix a flat tire. Have a good set of tires on your bike when you show up. Learn how to pick up your bike by yourself. Get off the couch and go do some riding before you get to Death Valley.

If any of you need help with some of the things on this list, please ask for help now! It will ensure you have a great weekend riding in Death Valley!
Very good info here. Things I've seen fall off include license plates, tail bags, loose beers, chain guards, and plastic body panels. Tighten those fasteners!
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #542
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Due to a scheduling snafu on my end, I will be going to Jimmy's this weekend instead of Jan/Mar like I had planned. He tells me its a mixed class of big and small bikes, Ill be on a Husky 449.
I report back here once I recover.

1x990 + 1x449 = mixed

Moto-Treks

moto-treks screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 08:16 AM
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #543
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
This is an extreme example of how to keep the weight of your bike down.

On a semi-serious note, some of the perennial problems that Noobs have on this ride:

A few solutions:

If any of you need help with some of the things on this list, please ask for help now! It will ensure you have a great weekend riding in Death Valley!

^^^ The tips -- very good stuff!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #544
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,319
Tim, let's get that list of yours put on poster board and put it up all over PSR. One of the best and concise "how to prepare" for any extended on/off road trip I've seen in a while. All of us would be and will be better off down the road to constantly remind inexperienced and first timers of these important points on a regular basis.

Of course these comments are coming from a HUGE noob that thinks his 600lb bike is a dual sport.

EDIT: First timers; reach out to people you know on the attendee list and ask questions. Don't know anyone, reach out and make some friends ... ASKING QUESTIONS is a good thing!

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #545
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,181
Thanks Tim, good 411.

Todd hinted at it, but the fact is, many of the bikes riders choose are too big for the kind of riding they do. And like you say, when the going gets tough they are quickly worn out. I find that the process for bike purchase is backwards - most riders decide on a bike they like/want and then figure out how to ride it where their friends go. What should really happen is they gain experience with a trailbike, then choose a bike based on the kind of riding they really want to do. No one bike can do it all well.

I think the best advice there is just getting out and getting some time on before you have to do the really long treks. It will not only prepare the rider physically and mentally, but they will find out what's wrong or what can go wrong with their machine.

BTW, I always carry a tow-strap. Had to tow a blown-up bike 5 miles out a sandwash one time. It wasn't my bike, and it wasn't fun, but we made it.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #546
Buster714
instant human

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Of course these comments are coming from a HUGE noob that thinks his 600lb bike is a dual sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Thanks Tim, good 411.

Todd hinted at it, but the fact is, many of the bikes riders choose are too big for the kind of riding they do. And like you say, when the going gets tough they are quickly worn out. I find that the process for bike purchase is backwards - most riders decide on a bike they like/want and then figure out how to ride it where their friends go. What should really happen is they gain experience with a trailbike, then choose a bike based on the kind of riding they really want to do. No one bike can do it all well.

I think the best advice there is just getting out and getting some time on before you have to do the really long treks. It will not only prepare the rider physically and mentally, but they will find out what's wrong or what can go wrong with their machine.

BTW, I always carry a tow-strap. Had to tow a blown-up bike 5 miles out a sandwash one time. It wasn't my bike, and it wasn't fun, but we made it.
I have a 500lb rated paracord imitation line in my garage I figured I'd throw in my pack for a towline. It's better than nothing, but is that rating good for a real world adv bike tow?

If BigT breaks down we'll have to call a jeep.
Buster714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #547
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
I have a 500lb rated paracord imitation line in my garage I figured I'd throw in my pack for a towline. It's better than nothing, but is that rating good for a real world adv bike tow?

Yes, that will work fine. I've used a 500 lb rated webbing tie down strap to get towed and had no issues.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #548
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,732
the tow rope is good but the tow-ers are exhausted..........
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #549
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post

I think you would have a hard time holding onto a cord for towing. Maybe have to give it a try. Usually the 'tower' attaches the 'strap' to his bike and the 'towee' wraps it around the bar center and then to a grip to hold onto it so he can let go if necessary.

I carry a 18' length of 2" nylon strap with a loop sewn into one end. It would get a GSA down the road but not through a trail.

A tow-rescue is really a giant PITA.

My tow-strap is always zip-tied to my cargo rack. I hope I never need it.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #550
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
I was thinking of bringing of GS but I better practice with the XR650L before the ride!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #551
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,227
Towing is a challenge. Another approach is to attach the strap/rope to the footpegs. Keeps the pull of the line lower and is less likely to pull you over.
Rig the towing bike on the right peg and the towed bike on the left peg.
Keep the speeds safe and the throttle smooth.

JAB screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 02:07 PM
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #552
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
I was thinking of bringing of GS but I better practice with the XR650L before the ride!
Practicing with either bike is a great idea. Just make sure you are usung good form and technique.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #553
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,358
I need to get out and wear out the stock tires, no way are the Bridgestones going to cut it!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #554
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 397
let the guys with the GSs know to leave the bottled beer at home
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #555
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 397
I'm just A little confused How many camp spots am I singed up for? SLIDEWAYES 33,34,35,36
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote