Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #586
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Dibs on the second TKC80. Will be PMing you now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
Since NSFW has been kind enough to recognize my store in this thread I'd like to start the DV Noob giveaway madness straight out of the gate...

If you're reading this and you're local to me or willing to make the ride I have 2 used Continental TKC80 fronts and 1 used Dunlop D606 front that would be fine for a weekend in Death Valley. They're 90/90-21 which fit a number of bikes. I'll donate the tires to 3 new riders that want some traction for the event. Please keep in mind that they're a softer compound and will not last a lot of pavement riding from now until the event in March! I probably put a couple thousand miles on each tire as it is, but if you're considering running bald tires I'd much rather give you these instead.

There's a great little motorcycle shop right around the corner from me if you need an install. But again, please don't wear them down before the event since that will defeat the whole purpose of the donation.

I'm located in Fountain Valley, CA 92708.

First 3 posts of "DIBS" (with the tire you want) get the tires. I'll confirm the 3 and you can come by and pick them up.

Let's ride!
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #587
Hack

Oddometer: 3,720
Thanks for the rental info. Jimmy you have a PM.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #588
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 623
Great offer BigT!

Jimmy, awesome as always. I got some great insight from you at the rally in Idaho!! No toilet seat for this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
DIBS on 606 front.
Winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headstaller View Post
DIBS TKC80 front
Winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Dibs on the second TKC80. Will be PMing you now.
Winner!

I'll PM you tire guys with my info and we'll figure it out. Good job!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #589
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
Great offer BigT!

Wow, those 21" tires got gobbled up fast ... all this talk about first timers off road, thought for sure there would be a couple of big GS riders interested in grabbing some free nobs to try out.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #590
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Thanks for the rental info. Jimmy you have a PM.
chris, now you're good to fly and ride! vegas probably is the nearest airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Put me on the waiting list please. Chris Riding in from PAHRUMP KTM990A, all meals , all in camping unless me and a friend already on the in list can get a tent cabin sorted out. Will volunteer to cook or whatever is needed. Thanks
fixed!....

thanks to all who posted the rental info!
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #591
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Here is another opportunity to pick up some nobbie tires as donations ... Any GS riders that want to try out some front tires for their tubless 19" front wheels, I have the following available for pick up:

TKC 80 - 50% tread
Mitas E09 - 60% tread
Heidenau K60 - 70% tread (has some bead leak issues, loses 2 - 4 psi/day)

Located in Hunitngton Beach

todd, dibs on the one with the rim still on.....

hey the tkc i can use but i'll have others have them. no rush for me since the front tire on my hp2 (yes, i went 19") will last another 4 years.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #592
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
Since this thread is going nuts with anticipation, I thought I'd share a video we had made a few years back. These are the Olancha Dunes and some areas near Lone Pine. Now don't try any of this in the real world because it is all smoke and mirrors, just ask Joel.

On another note, I do have rental bikes available through my school. But, and this is a big "BUT", we only rent them during schools where they are "observed" due to the nature of how people tend to treat rental equipment and what really happens on dirt bike rides. I'd consider renting under the right conditions, so maybe a PM is in order if that someone is still looking. Plus the bikes are set up for long distance off-road (big gas tanks) so there is a plus there.

JIMMY

daym.............

looks like as long you keep the pig moving, no problem sinking in the soft sand... there got to be some black magic....

i wonder how many gs did bmw sold after you posted this vid.....
Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #593
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 498
I can stop in the sand any time I'm not pointed too steeply uphill. Keeping moving is about the fifth most important thing in our list of things you need to know about riding in sand. And number one is...?

You didn't guess it, it is STOP!

When anything starts to go wrong you stop. Not crash and certainly not gas it! Gas it leads to crashing harder.

Being balanced on the bike (NOT over the back) and controlling the bike with the throttle and steering it through the footpegs (which can't be done very well while sitting) come into play next.

Oh yes, tires are very important, as mentioned earlier and we have a post about that here: http://jimmylewisoffroad.com/2012/12/03/999/
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #594
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:

Oh yes, tires are very important, as mentioned earlier and we have a post about that here: http://jimmylewisoffroad.com/2012/12/03/999/

"And if you thing they are expensive, we say they are cheaper than a cast."

i love it..
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #595
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,612
Race Track in the news, FYI

On yahoo news today...article about Race Track dry lake in Death Valley:
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/44126/tracking+the+rolling+stones+of+racetrack+playa/

browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #596
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
SO SO TRUE... don't ask how I know. Expensive lesson learned.... the hard way.
Quote:
When anything starts to go wrong you stop. Not crash and certainly not gas it! Gas it leads to crashing harder.
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #597
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,623
J,

Just a suggestion, handful of bikes with a predetermined rate that includes you doing a DV ride/clinic specific to those renting the bikes.

Others would be excluded from the ride unless invited by you directly.

2 birds one shot, rentals and teaching at the same time.

Just a thought. I am sure some of the N00Bs would be all over something like this.

Quote:

On another note, I do have rental bikes available through my school. But, and this is a big "BUT", we only rent them during schools where they are "observed" due to the nature of how people tend to treat rental equipment and what really happens on dirt bike rides. I'd consider renting under the right conditions, so maybe a PM is in order if that someone is still looking. Plus the bikes are set up for long distance off-road (big gas tanks) so there is a plus there.

JIMMY
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #598
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,434
Well I missed the dibs, bummer.

Replacing tires is another thing I need to learn. As of right now I know how to find my way to the dealer, hand over a credit card, and spend the next month eating PB&J to pay for them!

Every once in a while the dealer near my house has clinics on this kind of stuff, maintenance, and other minor repairs. Trouble is I never seem to hear about them until they are thanking people for coming!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #599
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post

Replacing tires is another thing I need to learn. As of right now I know how to find my way to the dealer, hand over a credit card, and spend the next month eating PB&J to pay for them!

Every once in a while the dealer near my house has clinics on this kind of stuff, maintenance, and other minor repairs. Trouble is I never seem to hear about them until they are thanking people for coming!
Where do you live, there are enough people around here that getting someone to show you how to do it should be easy enough to do.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #600
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post

Where are you located? If in my neck of the woods I could be persuaded to have a beer, give you some pointers and supervise at my place. If you ride a bike in the dirt, it is a pretty important skill to learn.

Rob,
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote