Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #706
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
I know, I just signed up and I'm already talking about changing...

I was talking with Garret, Standby #221 and we can split a site if needed. Also can we go to a Truck/trailer in as plan A and MC in as plan B (if no truck spaces I'm okay with riding my 650 up while his 400 screams along!).

So...

220: Geoff (GSequoia) TR3/MC3, D3, KLR650
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #707
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,878
All list is updated, INs, Waiting List and f800gs as well.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #708
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo View Post
Congrats! Now get some crash bars, a skidplate, handguards, and knobbies and you are set!

chris and OTHERS, if you want some TOURATECH PARTS, i have a voucher 10% discount code + free shipping - GOOD FOR TODAY ONLY

send me a PM for the code
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #709
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
GSequoia, you have the front Six Days tire. I will PM you about pick up.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #710
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
Absolutely.

If anyone needs anything to prepare for the event don't hesitate to contact us.
my klim mojave came in today....

and just ordered new did chains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
SAVE UP TO $60 A PAIR ON KLIM OFF-ROAD PANTS NOW.

Baja Pant $99.99
Chinook Pant $109.99
Mojave Pant $109.99
Dakar Pant $119.99

See them all here... Klim Off-Road Pants

Stock is limited. Don't wait.

folks, you can't go wrong with the klims
Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #711
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
folks, you can't go wrong with the klims
Oooh, I really want the Dakars but I don't know what size I'll be by then!
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #712
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
Oooh, I really want the Dakars but I don't know what size I'll be by then!
You can more or less safely order a size up if you're right on an even size. I have some Baja pants in a 34 that fit me perfectly, and a 36 long Dakar that I can cinch the adjusters all the way in to fit. As an added bonus the bigger size lets me put waterproof or insulated (or both) layers underneath.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #713
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,109
Here is a small list of my general riding tips for Noobs in Death Valley:

Sand - this is the desert, there will be sand, so stop crying about it. Many of the sandy sections in Death Valley are not obvious, as the loose sand and hard packed areas look exactly the same. A couple of things happen when you enter a sandy or soft section. First, your front tire digs in, then the rest your bike starts to push it through the sand instead of over the top of it. Then your bike slows down causing your to weave around, making the sand snakes. When your bike starts weaving around, you drop your visual lead to your front tire, then you crash. To help avoid making sand snakes and crashing, you need to roll on the throttle and keep your visual lead UP. DO NOT PANIC and put a death grip on the bars or try to fight the bars. The bike will dance under you, but you will keep going where you are looking. Steer with your feet and keep breathing.

Washboard - Due to the relatively high amounts of traffic some of the roads in Death Valley see (West Side Road for example), they tend to become washboarded. Riding on washboards is made more comfortable by finding a speed that you are OK with AND allows the suspension on your bike to absorb the bumps. It may be disconcerting initially, but most noobs need to speed up a bit to get the suspension to do its job and eat the little washboard bumps for you.

Tire Pressure - For most parts of Death Valley, higher tire pressures are recommended to deal with the ever present rocks. Yes, you may sacrifice some traction, but not getting pinch flats, slashed tires, or turning your rims into tacos is a decent trade off.

Visual Lead - Maintain a good visual lead and stay tuned in to the trails and roads. Look where you want to go, not at the ground under your front wheel, or you'll go there. Depending upon weather conditions, there may be extreme amounts of dust. Please do not charge into a heavy dust cloud, as there is a good reason for the cloud, including but not limited to: terrain change, obstacles, hard braking for stopped or crashed riders, silt beds, deep ruts, sand drifts, etc...

Group Riding - Group riding is a different animal. First off, the only person responsible for your riding is YOU. You are the one behind the handlebars and the one controlling your bike. The riders in a group tend to sort themselves out by experience and comfort zone speeds, with the faster riders normally ending up in the front. When starting out in a group and getting sorted out, please be courteous when you pass, stop at intersections and make sure the rider following you sees which way you are going, and know who the sweep rider is. If you come upon a rider in distress (broken bike, broken rider, Joel under his motorcycle and off the road) stop at a place that is safe to stop and that you can get started at again, then help. Please note, that taking pictures of Joel before helping him is perfectly acceptable.

Breakdowns - If a bike is broken beyond a trailside fix, it may be towed out by experienced riders or abandoned until retrieval with another vehicle is possible.

Emergencies - At all times, please ride within your abilities, as most of Death Valley is very remote, devoid of cell phone service, and not a great place to get injured or break your bike. In the event that something bad happens, you need to be responsible for yourself and your survival. You are not in the suburbs, so even with your SPOT and riding in a group, emergency medical help is hours away depending on where you are at. Your emergency kit should include an emergency bottle of water (pack this away so you can't just grab it and drink it whenever you stop), high energy snacks, an emergency blanket, flashlight, and a first aid kit. Size these items so you could sustain yourself overnight if needed. Ride leaders may elect to split the group up and get other riders back to civilization, while asking for volunteers to stay with an injured rider until help arrives.

Medical Conditions - I'm not trying to break HIPPA laws or make people uncomfortable, but if you have a medical condition that could be an issue while riding (bad heart, diabetes, allergies, or in my case, hairy palms and vision loss), please let your ride leader know and have some ICE information accessible.

Health Insurance - Please have health insurance if you're getting on a motorcycle.

tbarstow screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 10:39 PM
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #714
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Do you guys tend to coordinate 2-meter radios? Provided I make the cut I'll be brining my 5w handheld, that'll get you pretty far on 2 meter. I'd love to say I'll have my grand plan of bike radio done by then but no way, I procrastinate too much and procrastinating proper tires is higher on my priority list.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #715
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Do you guys tend to coordinate 2-meter radios? Provided I make the cut I'll be brining my 5w handheld, that'll get you pretty far on 2 meter. I'd love to say I'll have my grand plan of bike radio done by then but no way, I procrastinate too much and procrastinating proper tires is higher on my priority list.
We have not used radios in the past. DV is huge, with plenty of mountains to block signals. Even trying to have somebody back at Panamint just monitoring SPOTs doesn't work well, as there is very little internet bandwidth. Keeping a printed copy of your SAR information with you and readily retrievable is the best bet.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #716
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
We have not used radios in the past. DV is huge, with plenty of mountains to block signals. Even trying to have somebody back at Panamint just monitoring SPOTs doesn't work well, as there is very little internet bandwidth. Keeping a printed copy of your SAR information with you and readily retrievable is the best bet.
I'll have mine with me. I'll do a bit of research about repeaters beforehand and try ot remember to do some trial and error at the event (will probably have too much fun and forget). It's a lot easier doing the comms with the Jeep club since most of us on 2m have 50 watts or greater to play with. Line of sight I've probably gotten about 75 miles out of 5 watts before, mountains and shit do tend to be annoying though!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #717
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
You can more or less safely order a size up if you're right on an even size. I have some Baja pants in a 34 that fit me perfectly, and a 36 long Dakar that I can cinch the adjusters all the way in to fit. As an added bonus the bigger size lets me put waterproof or insulated (or both) layers underneath.
Yeah, but I intend on being 25 or 30 lbs lighter than I am now. That will probably be more than a size down.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #718
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
stop at intersections and make sure the rider following you sees which way you are going, and know who the sweep rider is
The golden rule of group riding. Forgetting this rule is how shit goes sideways. Don't be that guy (or gal).

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #719
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,062
Tim - I joined your Saturday Titus Canyon Ride and will volunteer to ride sweep.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #720
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

+ 1 on what timmy said.

Quote:
The golden rule of group riding. Forgetting this rule is how shit goes sideways. Don't be that guy (or gal).
yes!

my least favorite experience - drove 12 hours to get to the rally, we're all knew to the area. the rider in front of us didn't wait, we, 6 or so of us ended up riding the pavement the whole morning.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
Tim - I joined your Saturday Titus Canyon Ride and will volunteer to ride sweep.

hey larry - thanks, i finally figured out who was donating the $150 wolfman luggage gift certificate....

another good news....

KLIM will be there at the rally, with lots of good stuff......