Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #16
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,538
Don't think you could go wrong with any of the bikes you are looking at. I own an 05 300EXC. Bought it brand new in 05. FMF Gnarly, and had it resprung and revalved by Stillwell. It is a great all around dirt bike. I ride the desert, mtns, and even some mx stuff. Can't see how the newer bikes would make me that much better, other than riding
more. Very happy with my 05. Again I am always lusting for those new KTM's.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
So, I have been researching light weight, wide ratio 2smoke's. At first I felt the 250/300 XCW would be right up my ally but finding a 08' and up in my price bracket seems to be a pipe dream. Also I feel I don't need that much power. so I have lowered the bar a bit. It seems the 200 XCW/EXC can be picked up much cheaper then it's larger bore(and stroke) brothers. What are the thoughts on the 200? Should I settle or just keep saving my pennies for the bike I lust for?

The bike I am looking for does not need to be street plated. I ride in a mix of mostly wet terrain. Woods, single track, mud, not so open desert(Pacific north west). There is a 05' 300 EXC that is in my price range but looks rough. Given the choice between a 09' 200 XCW or a 05' 300 EXC or a 08' 250 SX/XCW mongrel, all similar in price. What bike do you think would be best(given all the bikes are mechanically sound)? Seems like I am splitting hairs.
Ive had a 2001 200MXC,then a 2004 200EXC,then a 2008 200EXC. All worked fine and once Im used to the bike they in no way hold me back,they turn quicker,make enough bottom end power to where I never rev them high in the woods.
Guys are conditioned to think they need at least a 300 just to hang with their buddies.

Ive smoked 300's on long tricky climbs just by not shutting off and letting the bike work. 200's are fun! Shane Watts once won every cross country race he entered one year on a 200,against every size of bike entered,and he dusted em,won by a long ways sometimes.

Like any KTM,the newer the better/lighter but any 200 will be a grin in the woods,top speed on a 200 is equal to a 300/250.Both being stock.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
Capt. Egregious OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Great info guys. Very helpful. I thought about reviving my old YZ250 but the cost to get it dirt ready would be 3x it's value. And it still won't be orange. I have been thinking about the trans ratio also, when riding the XR I want a lower 1st and a taller 5th. But I ride that bike on the street and very slow single track. So I compromise on sprockets to reach a happy medium. The anticipated new bike will be ridden offroad only so it can be geared just the way I like(hopefully).

I am 6ft 160 lbs(recently dropped 60 lbs, hope to level off around 170ish). I am not a fast rider, mid pack average rider. The search goes on for exc/xc/xcw. cc's to be determined.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
Jackazz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
I'm in next to you in Mountlake Terrace with a 02 200exc. You can stop by and run it up and down the street a few times if you'd like, I need to warm it up for a oil change.
You could also hook up with us for a Walker ride on Sat.
PM if interested

JA
Jackazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,149
" The search goes on for exc/xc/xcw. cc's to be determined."

A month ago, there were at least ten 200's & 300's of various years for sale on Seattle craigslist. That bunch seems to have sold off, but frequent checking might pay off.

I bought one of them, a 2003 200, so I can attest to the juice of the 200 exc, don't imagine it can't hold it's own in most cases. I'm having to learn all over again how to hang on!
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,061

what is the fuel range on the stock tank on the 300?
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
300's

Obviously buying the newest bike you can get's you the most advanced hardware, but coming off an XR650, I suspect even an early 2000's model would feel good. I've owned three 300's, a '00, an '02 and my current '06 300 XCW. The '06 feels a bit lighter and turns slightly better but it's not a huge difference. If I was on a budget and could get a pre '04 in good shape I'd have no problem riding it. I like the 300's because with their torque I can ride it a gear high in the woods, make good time and it doesn't wear me out. That helps alot on my 57 year old body. I've found that there isn't that much difference in a drag race between comperably set up 200/250/300's. It just the larger the motor the more low/mid range torque they put out. With pipes, power valve springs and FWW's you can make any of them do what you want. You really can't go wrong with any size KaTooM.

Good luck.
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '01 640 Lc4E
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 785
coming off a 650r a late 90's yz250 will make you much faster damhik
mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
Capt. Egregious OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackazz View Post
I'm in next to you in Mountlake Terrace with a 02 200exc. You can stop by and run it up and down the street a few times if you'd like, I need to warm it up for a oil change.
You could also hook up with us for a Walker ride on Sat.
PM if interested

JA

PM'd
Thanks

"coming off a 650r a late 90's yz250 will make you much faster damhik
mike"

yeah, can't wait to drop 100lbs.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #25
Capt. Egregious OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I thought I would update you guy's on my dream bike shopping list. I have been saving my money and got my health problems resolved. Spent afew months with poor health and a week in the hospital, now ready to plunk down the hard earned cash. My dream bike is still a 300 2smoker but with my year end bonus and tax return added to my bike fund my search has now added AWD

Things are getting exciting now. Thanks for all the info and feed back. Super helpful. If anyone has negative info or reviews on the Christini kits I would love to hear em. I have read every bit of info I can get my hands on and so far its all been very positive.

Searching for the perfect bike is soo much fun. The search will be never ending.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #26
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
I think the 09 200 has the same frame as 250/300 bikes. Test ride them and see what you like. The terrain you describe doesn't really demand a wide tranny so include the modern 2t yz250 on your list.
I just picked up an 09 200,Im 6' tall and it fits the same as my last 300 as far as I can tell.

The thing is I cant stop taking the thing out and thrashing it,I had forgotten just how much fun a 200 is. On off-camber edge of doom straight up and down trails I think its the bomb.

If your riding wide open flat out terrain the bigger/faster bike the better.

For Tight Woods and technical stuff Im thinking if I bought a new bike it would be a 2013 200XCW. On tight to medium fireroads I can still ride it like a little speedway bike as sideways as I like.

Its really too much fun!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
Well I thought I would update you guy's on my dream bike shopping list. I have been saving my money and got my health problems resolved. Spent afew months with poor health and a week in the hospital, now ready to plunk down the hard earned cash. My dream bike is still a 300 2smoker but with my year end bonus and tax return added to my bike fund my search has now added AWD

Things are getting exciting now. Thanks for all the info and feed back. Super helpful. If anyone has negative info or reviews on the Christini kits I would love to hear em. I have read every bit of info I can get my hands on and so far its all been very positive.

Searching for the perfect bike is soo much fun. The search will be never ending.
What does one of those AWD 300's weigh I wonder? Im going to a tubliss on the rear with 7psi Trials tire on my 200.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #28
Capt. Egregious OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I run the Tubliss system on my XRR, they have worked really well for me. I run Maxxis desert ITs around 8-10 psi.

The Christini system adds 15 lbs to the bike. So I would think the AWD KTM 300 will come in around 245lbs. Still 50 lbs lighter then then the BRP.

I bet a 200 would be plenty of bike for my skill level but I'm still dreamin of big bores.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #29
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Oddometer: 512
Having owned a 200, a 250 and riding a 300 numerous times....The 2hun will have a very light feel comparatively but it will keep you honest in terms of gear selection and staying on the pipe. Point being, the 2hun has to be ridden like you mean it whereas the big bore can be ridden in a somewhat more lazy manner given its tolerance to being lugged. I personally prefer the 250 size for its ability to spin up quickly and the little bit of extra low end power.
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned1 View Post
Having owned a 200, a 250 and riding a 300 numerous times....The 2hun will have a very light feel comparatively but it will keep you honest in terms of gear selection and staying on the pipe. Point being, the 2hun has to be ridden like you mean it whereas the big bore can be ridden in a somewhat more lazy manner given its tolerance to being lugged. I personally prefer the 250 size for its ability to spin up quickly and the little bit of extra low end power.
I agree with that pretty much,the 200 doesnt have limitless bottom end like a 300,Ive found putting a Gnarly pipe on one,jetting it spot on,gearing it properly for tight trails, and its able to climb anything with out revving it.
Stock gearing is just too tall,1st gear on mine is almost like a trials bike gear,second will climb anything but sometimes 1st comes into play when things get squirrly. I like that I can get sideways and backwards mostly out of control on a 200 and save it before I even know what happened.
Very forgiving light feeling bike.