Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #16
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,405
It's not made in Japan, but neither are most other Japanese bikes these days, and that doesn't seem to bother anyone. It is probably made in Taiwan or Thailand. I'm sure it is not actually made in Mainland China. If it were, it would be the first Japanese bike sold in the U.S. that was.

It's comparison to the TU250 is probably the same as comparing my local dealers prices of $3200 for the 2012 CBR, which is far more technically advanced, but not made in Japan, to the $3700 for the 2012 Rebel, which is a technological dinosaur (but I like that, if only I fit on it) but is made in Japan.

Suzuki may have also planned to price it higher, but had to drop the price in light of unforseen competition. If that is the case, it will probably not remain in the U.S. market because there would be no profit in selling it here.

In any event, I certainly intend to check it out, it looks like a great bike for short road trips, of 1000 miles or less, is freeway legal, cheap (if that price is accurate) and very different from any other 250 out there.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #17
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,952
A quick Google search...

Suzuki officially launched its new GW250 B-King inspired motorcycle as its flagship model for China.
Presented at the China International Motorcycle Trade Exhibition (CIMAMotor 2011), Suzuki GW250 will be produced in China first for the domestic market but will later be exported to Europe, Indonesia and Central and South America. The GW250 will be sold in China by Haojue, a joint venture between Suzuki and Jiangmen Dachangjiang Group and one of China’s largest motorcycle

More here.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2011/10/1...zuki-gw250-bab

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #18
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,788
It will be the flagship for China, because it looks Chinese made, even if it isn't. It looks cheap/weird. I don't like it.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #19
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Well rats. If true, and it looks like it is, this is a new low for Japanese manufacturers. Building an entire motorcycle in China. How long will it be before all Japanese motorcycles are built in China? Most already use Chinese parts.

Many Kymco scooters, a Taiwanese brand, are built in China, and are of excellent quality. But they are built in Kymco factories, and quality control is overseen by Kymco. Probably the same would be true for Suzuki, but Suzuki is not Kymco. My first street bike was a Suzuki GT380 back in 1975. I see an all Chinese built Suzuki almost the same as an all Chinese built Harley or BMW. I have not written it off yet, but it does not look well. I do like the appearance of the bike, it is a breath of fresh air compared to the plastic covered Ninja and CBR. I am so sick of crotch rockets. But made in China is not acceptable.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 589
get over it. Your freaking beloved iPhones are 100% Chinese.

Chinese manufacturers are capable of manufacturing to whatever quality you are willing to pay for.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,067
Suzuki has had plants all over the world for a long time. There's a good chance that Suzukis built in Japan have Chinese or especially Korean content.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/countrie...shtml~isoraami
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I like it. I just hope it sells good enough in the states, so this is not a flop for Suzuki U.S. division in this hard time.
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

I don't own an iPhone, I have a $20 Kyrocera with service from Virgin Mobile. Yes the phone is Chinese Junk, but for $20 I don't care, I usually destroy a couple of them a year anyway. But I have also had experience with a Chinese motorcycle. It was an American Lifan LF200GY-6 dual sport. It was cheap and cheesy (but only cost $1400 delivered to my door) and it lasted over 7,000 miles, till the nut holding the centrifugal oil filter on came loose and destroyed the engine.

I had a KLR made in Thailand, and I currently have 2 Yamaha scooters made in Taiwan. But an entire motorcycle made in China does not sound good to me. I have not written it off, I found out yesterday that a local dealer has one in stock, and I am going to go look at it sometime next week. I should be able to tell a lot about the quality just by looking at the overall fit and finish. I've dealt with enough Chinese scooters to know what to look for, and what I should not find.

Suzuki is having some rough times in the U.S. right now, and giving up the automotive market. I blame the DOT and EPA 100% for that. I used to own an '88 Suzuki Samurai, it was one of the most fun vehicles I've ever owned. It had over 100,000 miles on it when I bought it, and I ran it up over 200,000 before the engine started going out. Sold it to a guy in a non emissions county who was going to stuff a V6 into it.

I'm still hoping this turns out to be a decent motorcycle. It looks so much better than the Ninja and CBR. I like the TU250, but won't buy it simply because Suzuki didn't put a centerstand on it, or even make it an option. The GW does not need a centerstand because it has tubeless tires.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #24
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The GW does not need a centerstand because it has tubeless tires.

I don't see the connect here. What do tubeless tires have to do with the need for a centerstand? I think ALL bikes should have one. It makes chain maintenance and general overall maintenance WAY easier.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
I found out yesterday that a local dealer has one in stock, and I am going to go look at it sometime next week.
Which Suzuki Dealer in town? The Ridenow store on Arizona Avenue?
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #26
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Apache on Clearview in East Mesa by Power and 60. I won't go anywhere near Ride Now, or as they are more commonly known, Ripoff Now or Ride Never.

Centerstands have many purposes, but for me the main reason to have one on bikes with tube type tires is so you can fix a flat tire out on the road. Without a way to get the wheel off, which requires a stable way to hold the bike up, there is no way to fix a flat on a tube type tire. I put over 20,000 miles on a Rebel, and used up most of my carrying capacity for a jack, wrenches, tire irons, spare tubes, etc. With tubeless tires you stick a plug in it, air it up, and be on your way. BTW, wire spoked motorcycle wheels designed for tubeless tires have been around for decades, the first place I saw them was on the '86 Honda Rebel 450. BMW also uses them. Yamaha uses one on the rear of the Japanese (and European) version of the XT250. So the manufacturers have no excuse to continue using tube type tires on street bikes. They can have their spoke wheels and tubeless tires both.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #27
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
JerryH:

Did that dealership give you a price?

The Suzuki site still shows "TBA"

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #28
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Apache on Clearview in East Mesa by Power and 60. I won't go anywhere near Ride Now, or as they are more commonly known, Ripoff Now or Ride Never.

Centerstands have many purposes, but for me the main reason to have one on bikes with tube type tires is so you can fix a flat tire out on the road. Without a way to get the wheel off, which requires a stable way to hold the bike up, there is no way to fix a flat on a tube type tire. I put over 20,000 miles on a Rebel, and used up most of my carrying capacity for a jack, wrenches, tire irons, spare tubes, etc. With tubeless tires you stick a plug in it, air it up, and be on your way. BTW, wire spoked motorcycle wheels designed for tubeless tires have been around for decades, the first place I saw them was on the '86 Honda Rebel 450. BMW also uses them. Yamaha uses one on the rear of the Japanese (and European) version of the XT250. So the manufacturers have no excuse to continue using tube type tires on street bikes. They can have their spoke wheels and tubeless tires both.

Wire spoke wheels are much heavier than alloy wheels. Yes they are stronger (and a little more flexible) but when you are trying to cut down unsprung weight they are a disaster. I'd say that's the main reason they are not used much anymore. Also, wire spoke wheels that are suitable for tubeless tires are hideously expensive.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #29
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM View Post
JerryH:

Did that dealership give you a price?

The Suzuki site still shows "TBA"

Ned
I have a feeling the dealer confused GW with GZ......
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #30
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
I'm not blown away by the looks, but we probably didn't need another
CBF250/YBR250 clone (you probably don't get those overseas..).

What's bothering me is.. these small bikes are constantly going up in
price..

The Ninja 300 costs just a tiny bit less then what i paid for my Ninja 650
back in 2007.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote