Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkBrian View Post
You can get the same $45 wally world straight talk plan directly from Net10. You just have to agree to having the $45 automatically billed each month.
I got the net 10 service ..... 50 bucks a month, NO contract, unlimited voice, text, data, plus the coverage is good. and I pay from month to month and can switch to the 25 buck plan for when I am poor. I'm using a jail broken att iPhone. I'm happy!
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
I got the net 10 service ..... 50 bucks a month, NO contract, unlimited voice, text, data, plus the coverage is good. and I pay from month to month and can switch to the 25 buck plan for when I am poor. I'm using a jail broken att iPhone. I'm happy!
The $50 unlimited plan is $45 if you buy it at net10.com

edit to add direct link;

https://www.net10.com/direct/ValuePl...=NET10&lang=en
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #18
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Virgin Mobile only supports CDMA--no SIM cards. They also will only activate Virgin Mobile phones. Theoretically Sprint phones would also be able to be activated and I've seen stories on the net where people have been able to talk the customer service rep into activating a Sprint phone on Virgin but it's not company policy.

My phone is $35/mo, unlimited text and data, 300 minutes of talk time. I bought my Optimus V used for $50 with an otter box case and screen protector.

I'm using the same Virgin plan on an Evo V. I bought the phone for $130 (smokin' deal) with the option to use the service or not. I used the phone for a few days before activating it. After that period, I decided I liked the phone and shut off my Verizon service.

There was a week or so where making phone calls didn't work so well, but the folks on the other end seem to have sorted things.

I have mixed emotions on Virgin. Either they're selling my number to every company who wants it or the previous owner of the number gave it to anyone who asked. Yesterday I got 10 spam calls and as many texts! I don't get them all the time, but it's common to get several per week. To their credit, most of the calls/messages are looking for some heavy smoker named Christina. I may have just gotten one of the nightmarish recycled numbers

Hard to beat unlimited web, text and email for $35 a month though...even get 300 minutes with it. I don't make many calls, so it's the best deal going. Err, that and the lack of a contract! $55/month gets you unlimited everything!

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #19
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
I'm using the same Virgin plan on an Evo V. I bought the phone for $130 (smokin' deal) with the option to use the service or not. I used the phone for a few days before activating it. After that period, I decided I liked the phone and shut off my Verizon service.

There was a week or so where making phone calls didn't work so well, but the folks on the other end seem to have sorted things.

I have mixed emotions on Virgin. Either they're selling my number to every company who wants it or the previous owner of the number gave it to anyone who asked. Yesterday I got 10 spam calls and as many texts! I don't get them all the time, but it's common to get several per week. To their credit, most of the calls/messages are looking for some heavy smoker named Christina. I may have just gotten one of the nightmarish recycled numbers

Hard to beat unlimited web, text and email for $35 a month though...even get 300 minutes with it. I don't make many calls, so it's the best deal going. Err, that and the lack of a contract! $55/month gets you unlimited everything!
I get very few spam calls--can't remember the last one. I have had my VM number since 2006 however, probably longer than anyone else has ever had a prepaid number.

I bet it was the PO of that number.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 669
i am currently dealing with sprint, but in feburary, i am looking pretty hard at virgin mobile. t mobile nor AT&T have anything at all where i live on their service maps. I looked at verizon, but they claim to have 4g where i live where most of the companies barely have 3g, so i am skeptical. that and the fact that their prepaid is more expensive than virgin is leaving me leaning towards virgin. it is good to hear other people having good experiences with them. Sprint has raised the cost of our current plan significantly, and since we are ready for new phones, they will not let us grandfather it in (which i didn't want to do anyhow, since it is already too much money). it seems that, even paying full price for a "cool" phone i wil lsave a TON over a 2 year contract with sprint.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
i am currently dealing with sprint, but in feburary, i am looking pretty hard at virgin mobile. t mobile nor AT&T have anything at all where i live on their service maps. I looked at verizon, but they claim to have 4g where i live where most of the companies barely have 3g, so i am skeptical. that and the fact that their prepaid is more expensive than virgin is leaving me leaning towards virgin. it is good to hear other people having good experiences with them. Sprint has raised the cost of our current plan significantly, and since we are ready for new phones, they will not let us grandfather it in (which i didn't want to do anyhow, since it is already too much money). it seems that, even paying full price for a "cool" phone i wil lsave a TON over a 2 year contract with sprint.
Virgin uses the Sprint network. Their plans are just significantly cheaper and offer no-contract billing. You don't have to pre-pay either...can set it up on month-to-month. It's the best deal going here. I cut my phone bill (compared to Verizon) in half and get web/email with it (my almost $70 Verizon plan didn't come with data or email). I couldn't be happier with the deal I'm getting.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,012
Do any options use the Verizon network besides the Verizon prepaid plans?
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #23
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Virgin uses the Sprint network.
yep, that is why i am looking at them. none of the other cell companies appear to have service at my residence.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
page plus.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #25
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Yes, I recently signed up for an unlimited data/voice/text plan on the Verizon network for $100 a month. It is not directly through Verizon. I am very satisfied with the service.

PM me if you want the details.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #26
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
PM me if you want the details.
Is it a secret? Why can't you just post it?
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #27
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,748
Quote:
Virgin uses the Sprint network. Their plans are just significantly cheaper and offer no-contract billing. You don't have to pre-pay either...can set it up on month-to-month. It's the best deal going here. I cut my phone bill (compared to Verizon) in half and get web/email with it (my almost $70 Verizon plan didn't come with data or email). I couldn't be happier with the deal I'm getting.
I did the same thing over a year ago, reception is fine. Pay less, get more.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
DustyPockets
Flatland wanderer.

Oddometer: 54
Been thinking about going contact free for a while. This thread got me moving forward a bit.

Thanks for the heads up on Straight Talk, my sim arrived today.

I understand they don't officially support tethering, not a super big deal but I do some book work in my shop and it does come in handy.

I'll see if there is a work around before I plug in the sim.
DustyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #29
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
We have a winner!

(Second) best deal around if you buy your own phone. #1 is T-Mobile's $30 100min/unlimited msg/5GB data on an Android phone with a VoIP app, but OP says no to T-Mo, so Straight Talk on AT&T's network is the answer.

Also worth noting if you've got one T-Mobile dead spot is that many T-Mobile phones can make calls over wifi. With the 'normal' plans, wifi calls are free, but on prepaid they do count against your minutes. SMS and MMS work over wifi too, though you can't switch from wifi to the cellular network mid-call unless you're on a BlackBerry.
I have an even better plan - the $100 for 1100 minutes that last one year. Of course, those are only talk minutes, no data (about a month ago they stopped allowing email on non-smartphones, but that access sucked anyway - very unreliable). If all you need is a phone for occasional voice comms, then a $12 Nokia feature phone and their prepaid minutes work. I use about 100 minutes a month.

That aside, I also bought a smartphone - a Samsung Dart (Android) at Fry's for $100 and I have the $30 100 minute/5GB plan you mention. I bought it because I was buying a house and I needed to access my email during the day (employer doesn't let employees access GMail on company network). That worked while, especially at the end when I was closing.

Now I don't really need the data plan anymore - I can wait until I get home to access email, nothing crucial comes over it now. I don't need web access either. So after this month I just won't buy any more minutes/data. What I will do though is set it up with VOIP because t-mobile has poor coverage here at my house. I will probably also take the SIM from my feature phone and put in the smartphone.

One thing about t-mobile wifi calls; they count against your minutes - unless you get a different VOIP app. If you use the built-in WiFi calling it uses your minutes.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 620
I always get great service inside Mother Frances. If you work at Jville, I have no idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: