Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #301
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
HECK YEAH NICK! Looks awesome, just did about the same thing with my old heap! She's going back together slowly but real nice...new Gilardoni's and all, thanks for all the help by the way!

woodly1069 screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 07:56 PM
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #302
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
HECK YEAH NICK! Looks awesome, just did about the same thing with my old heap! She's going back together slowly but real nice...new Gilardoni's and all, thanks for all the help by the way!
Tim,
The motor is looking terrific. The round fin motor is a thing of beauty. New chain guide, generator bracket an' all. All your effort will be repaid with endless smiles. It really is worth it!

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #303
davebeef
Buffoon

Oddometer: 185
Lovely jubbly!!
'81 MZ 250/1 '91 Jawa 638
'90 Moto Guzzi 1000S
davebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #304
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,216
Starter Button...

Where do the two wires from the starter button connect to, do they go into the headlight shell, or into the dash unit? and then where do they terminate?
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #305
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 5,927
The Blue/Black wire picks up 12 v in the headlight terminal strip. It then sends the juice back to the starter relay via the Brown wire to terminal 86.
Hit the button and BAM!
Your sending 12v to the starter relay which then sends it to the solenoid.
Badda Bing, Badda Boom.
'74 Guzzi Eldorado
'95 R100 Mystic
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #306
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

so the brown wire must also terminate in the headlight somewhere to pickup the feed to terminal 86? so does it join to another brown wire, I think this is the brown wire that now connects in my ign switch? I shall try pulling that wire tomorrow, and and hitting it with a live feed, to see if I am correct. watch out for the cloud of smoke in the east!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #307
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Craven

I managed to get a little time in the lock-up this weekend, and that means I got a little work done on the Guzzi. First job was to re-instate the missing starter button, I had bought a used button from the US a while back, and have had it sitting here all cleaned and ready to fit. So today I did just that.

First I had to identify the brown wire from behind the ignition switch, there was a choice of two, but one stood out as being the correct wire, and so it seemed, as when connected to a live it fired up the starter solenoid. So I quickly re routed the wires into the headlight, bucket, and that was that.

My next outstanding job was to try to fit the Craven Pannier rack and Comet panniers, that Rob Farmer had given me earlier in the year. This turned out to be a lot trickier than I thought, and would have been a little easier with two pairs of hands.
But, I kept at it, trying different configurations of brackets, until I found a system that worked, now all I have to do is a little adjustment, and change out the odd nuts and bolts for good quality stainless items, and wire in some rear indicators.

Thanks Rob...
Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #308
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
They've been up in my loft for years Kev. Glad to see they finally got used.

They were originally fitted to my mates Commando thats why they're covered in Norton stickers.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #309
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Awesome Kev! Now you need to go out and ride that old girl on a long trip since you have storage

Oh yeah and take lots of pictures for us...
Old 06-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #310
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post

My next outstanding job was to try to fit the Craven Pannier rack and Comet panniers, that Rob Farmer had given me earlier in the year. This turned out to be a lot trickier than I thought, and would have been a little easier with two pairs of hands.
But, I kept at it, trying different configurations of brackets, until I found a system that worked, now all I have to do is a little adjustment, and change out the odd nuts and bolts for good quality stainless items, and wire in some rear indicators.

Thanks Rob...
Now that's a proper gentleman's touring rack, that is! Have you seen the wonky, bizarre things they pass of as racks on modern bikes? I love that thing. Nice bags too.

Envious in Ontario.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #311
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post

Tim,

Looking at this lovely picture reminded me of something. Just make sure that the oil lines are not touching the alternator bracket, and can't, even when it inevitably starts to wear loose and shake around a bit. I think you know why I'm a bit sensitive about this (dead right there....).

Nick
Old 06-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #312
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oh yes I do, sure don't want that! Actually the bracket is not bolted down yet so it does look close. It will clear but is pretty close. As a precaution I made a modification to the generator bracket that will hopefully keep it in place a little better.

Hopefully when I bolt the distributor down this extra "ear" I welded on will keep the bracket tighter for longer by increasing the leverage on the rear side...guess we'll see. Thanks for the thoughts! I'll surely be keeping an eye on it
Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #313
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Very cool and simple modification! It should work nicely.

I now have an alternator, but I added a bracket to the distributor base too. So far, so good.

Nick
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #314
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 5,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Tim,

Looking at this lovely picture reminded me of something. Just make sure that the oil lines are not touching the alternator bracket, and can't, even when it inevitably starts to wear loose and shake around a bit. I think you know why I'm a bit sensitive about this (dead right there....).

Nick
Nick,
Inspired by your misadventure with the oil line, I found a good used line for $20 on Ebay. Seems like a worthwhile spare to have around.
'74 Guzzi Eldorado
'95 R100 Mystic
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #315
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
Nick,
Inspired by your misadventure with the oil line, I found a good used line for $20 on Ebay. Seems like a worthwhile spare to have around.
yep - good plan, and a package of JB Weld just to be on the safe side. Of course, despite my self-induced mishaps, I never remember to take such things anyway........duh.

Nick