Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #316
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,473
obviously as these things get older, and some spares start to get hard to find, it is worth having a few bits held back, which is why I bought the spare set of carbs.

today I did the final fitting of the Craven's, and also incorporated some rear turn signals into the mix. I may give it a run out this weekend, I have JB welded the exhaust nut in place while I wait for the repair piece to arrive, I am not sure if it will hold. It is funny though, the Guzzi has let me down so often now, I feel nervous about trusting it on a run, stupid I know! but it has to earn some trust somewhere.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #317
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

When I first fitted the Craven's, and when you look at the original picture, you can see that they slope down towards the rear...

I had made the misatke of setting them level with the bike on the center stand, which of course has the rear wheel lifted! Doh. So now I have adjusted for this, and raised the rear of the rack a bit. I have also adjusted the fittings, to even up the mounting of the bags, and changed out all bolts for stainless. Lastly, I have mounted some flush fitting indicators to the cases, because I had to remove the other indicators to mount the pannier set.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #318
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
It is funny though, the Guzzi has let me down so often now, I feel nervous about trusting it on a run, stupid I know! but it has to earn some trust somewhere.

And so it lets me down again!

Today was to be the first camp with the Guzzi, I have worked on the bike every evening these last two weeks, and all last weekend in an effort to get it ready for my annual midsummer trip to the Barge Inn. But on dragging its sorry frame out of the lockup today, it would not, and has not started. I can only think I have knocked a wire off under the tank somewhere, when I wired in the indicators yesterday, because that is all I have changed since the weekend when I had it all running.
Also, I again have two oil leaks, one from the distributor shaft again, I knew that gasket was useless, I said so at the time, it is the wrong size for my bike, so I am going to have to make one. The other "new" leak, is from the back of the gearbox, somewhere near the top, this one is enough to leave a puddle on the garage floor?

Maybe it is time to pull the whole thing apart and go through it all, rather than keep trying to fix the ongoing problems I seem to have inherited. Anyway, it is now locked away again in disgrace, and I am now just about to load up the BMW for my trip to the Barge, and a nice pint of cool Cider.

Have a good weekend.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #319
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,774
Yo Kev, don't be discouraged. I always remember something an old wrench once told me. "Look for the trouble in the last place you worked"...
I almost always find the I did something dumb, (missed something, forgot to hook something back up or pinched a wire). You will get her sorted in time. And remember, you knew about the distributor leak so you can't get upset about that one. As far as the gearbox, check the breather tube up high, mine was cracked, yours may be as well. All it took for mine to fall off was me messing with something else and I bumped it and it fell on the floor. All is well in Guzzi land. She just needs a little more love man!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #320
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,311
I know how you feel Kev. I nearly set my evo harley on fire on a couple of occasions I was so pissed off with it breaking down every time I rode it. Fortunately the engine and drive trains good it was all the bodges and poor workmanship from previous owners that was the issue. It's pretty much sorted now but took a lot of blood, sweat and tears along with a heap of time to sort it out.
Rob Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #321
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
When I first fitted the Craven's, and when you look at the original picture, you can see that they slope down towards the rear...
We were all too polite to mention it Kev
Rob Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #322
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

I managed to get a chance to look over the Guzzi today, it still won't start, so I pulled the plugs, they were wet, so it is getting fuel, dried them off, and warmed them up with a flame, checked for spark, all Ok, tried a different coil, and new HT leads, still not firing? I shall fit new plugs , points, and condenser, then go over the timing again. and see what happens
Old 06-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #323
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,418
Pay special attention to the new cap,wires,crimp ends,caps and plugs.
I found it easy to get sloppy with the ignition wire set up that led to poor ignition.
Make sure the caps are tight on the wires and the wires are solid in the distributor cap.
Time the ignition by turning the crank until the distributor points break. If they don't break at the arrow, adjust the distro until they do.
Have a pint,
Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #324
Penderic
Format C:/u

Oddometer: 84
I had a set of Cravens Comets like yours. Now I have a nice set of Golden Arrows Craven panniers on my Guzzi V7 Classic and they look right at home!

I think your bags would look better a few inches more forward if you have the leeway on the stay bracket clamps... maybe an inch or two higher up....

The Craven company is breathing and some original hardware bits are available again....http://www.cravens.org.uk/
Penderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #325
davebeef
Buffoon

Oddometer: 247
Kev,
You are now in a very vulnerable phase of bike ownership. After the time and money you have spent renovating or fixing a ride, a problem, potentially even a minute one, can be enough to tip you over the edge. Countless bikes are sold at this time with a new owner having to solve a simple problem to have a cracking bike with all the big, expensive stuff done. Stick in there. It is almost certainly electrical and some checks in and around where Danelg suggests will reveal the culprit.
DB.
davebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #326
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Kev you mention that after having a look yesterday she is still not firing. Do you mean that it's not yet running? You said you checked for spark and all was good bur when you checked for spark with each plug grounded to the outside of each head did you get a fat blue spark? I have seen too many times when a weak spark would fail to ignite the mixture. Think you are on he right track with plugs and condenser. If it fires after that then have a look at he fire from the new plugs vs. The old ones and you'll see the difference. Good luck man, we're still here behind you getting her going!

Hey Kev one more thing, you mentioned that you installed new high tension leads, did you use non resistor type? I think those work best with our old bikes.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #327
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Panic over, it is again running

After pulling it apart again, tank off (leaky fuel tap) seat off, etc I installed new plugs, no go, so I fitted new points and condenser, no go, checked the fuel filters, all clean?
So I went back to the beginning, checked the valve timing, all good, checked the tappets, all good, re checked the points gap and spark, No Spark? So I fitted another coil, and it fired right up Now I did try another coil yesterday, and it never fired, I wonder if I had both a weak condenser and a bad coil? the coil by the way was the original equipment Bosch coil, so it was due for a change, I have now fitted an old Lucas coil I had kicking about

So I have put the old thing on the strobe, and timed it all in, tomorrow I shall put it all back together again.
I am toying with the idea of fitting a Dyna coil, which colour should I use to replace a standard coil? I may also fit a Dyna power box,

Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #328
davebeef
Buffoon

Oddometer: 247
Keep it standard and simple mate imho.
Leave the Lucas one on it til it starts to give you hassle. Carry a spare. They're not expensive.
Rgds
D.
davebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #329
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

We knew you could do it! Of course it's your bike but now that it's running I wouldn't go complicating it with more stuff...
Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #330
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
We knew you could do it! Of course it's your bike but now that it's running I wouldn't go complicating it with more stuff...
....and speaking as one who knows, its easy to let the smoke out of those darn digital ignition modules. I thought I'd put one on the 750S - expensive mistake! At least I understand points.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote