Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
jocejas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Thumb Honda Transalp 600 / KLR 650 / Eastern Mexico

Hello amigos!
Dano and myself are getting our gear together to ride around the state of Hidalgo, Veracruz and Puebla for the next 3 days.Yes, it'll be a short ride but both of us have to work on Tuesday 20th and we want to make the most of this 'long weekend'. We'll keep you posted with pics and details on this brief but exciting ride. We have the next route in mind, of course anything can happen and changes are always part of the plan.
Read along!

https://maps.google.com.mx/maps/ms?m...74376c8d046c50

Photobucket

jocejas screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 10:16 PM
jocejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,778
Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 477
+1

bring it on guys..

Cheers
Potski
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
jocejas OP
Adventurer

Hello ADVriders!
Sorry for the delay, sometimes work takes too much of my time.
So we planned this weekend trip with almost no time, as we normally do. Dano and myself have been riding together for the past 3 years now. It seems as if we had known each other previously since we get along very well. About 15 months ago he bought his 1990 Honda Transalp 600 in a very bad shape, and did a ton of things to it; he bought a new engine in San Diego, CA and got it shipped down in a trunk of a car to Guanajuato, Mexico (Central Mexico). We used to call it "ALP" since the stickers were all gone.
I recently got rid of my 1998 Honda Africa Twin. This a very delicate topic, since I really liked the bike, as you can imagine. I got it traded for a 2008 KLR 650 with 2000 miles. Again, sensitive topic.
Weekend now. We left Mexico City on a Saturday around 8am. Headed towards Pachuca and made a first stop to have some tacos de barbacoa and a chilly coke. Very light packed, each one carrying a dry bag with a change of clothes, socks, and sneakers. My Tourmaster boots keep my feet dry, sometimes I get a little water after 5-6 hours or riding under heavy rain. My Aerostich's Darien Pants are great, no leaks whatsoever. My Joe Rocket jacket claims to be waterproof but it's not at all, so I carry with a The North Face rain jacket (very light to pack). As soon as we passed Pachucha, the weather instantly changed. Fog, rain, cold. I thought to myself, this will be a short ride under the rain. God did not hear me at all. If we only had known the next 34 hours we'd be under rain!. We kept on riding, and riding.
One last time before it got all watery!
Photobucket
Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
jocejas OP
Adventurer

Here they are. This is where all the fun started!
Photobucket

It started getting cloudier and cloudier...
Photobucket

And rain came in our way. All zipped up, got my skiing gloves on (Gore Tex) since my leather gloves are completely useless for this conditions.
Photobucket

Dano bought a Garmin GPS which guided us through amazing dirt roads and ghost towns..
Photobucket
and more..
Photobucket

Trying which way to go...Maybe we should follow our GPS's instructions!
Photobucket

Everything was perfectly fine until Dano had a little accident. We were crossing a small and very quiet town, it was all soaked in water, at this point I think we had been riding under rain for about 5 hours. We were dry but a bit cold, so a bit clumsy too. Dano lost control of ALP in a very steep downhill cement street, and crashed against a house. If you look carefully you'll notice the tire marks on the street ....and some of the fading of ALP on the lower left corner...
Photobucket

I got very scared since I saw him crash agains the house only a few inches away from me, I almost fell off trying not to get hit by him! Once I found out Dano was OK, and ALP was destroyed but mechanically functional, we couldn't stop laughing. You know that kind of laughter when you are nervous but you know everything is OK. From now on, the weekend trip no longer feels the same, unfortunately.
Photobucket
We had a talk on whether continuing or going back to the city. We decided to continue and spend the night in the next "big town"
We also decided part of ALP needed to Rest in Peace in the exact same location where it hit the ground.
Photobucket

We kept riding, it was about to get dark, we were hungry, a bit cold still, and Dano was not in tbe best mood. I was trying to cheer him up of course.
We had a really nice dinner, chiles rellenos, rice, beans, coffee, sweet bread.
Found a hotel for $10usd a night, two beds, HOT water and a fan. Oh, and satellite TV.
Photobucket

Following morning this is what we saw outside our window. Same weather. Question is: should we continue and finish the route? Dano was a little down and not having fun with ALP almost destroyed. So we decided to head back to Mexico City. Still a long ride ahead!
Photobucket

We did a few adjustments to ALP, the lights were working properly now. Everything is working, it`s all good except for the looks!
Photobucket

We didn't notice, but at the place where we stayed, gasoline was sold. And we slept int he room underneath the room where they kept all the gas. Take a look. We even had a few beers and cigarrettes the previous night without knowing a ton of gas was just right there...just like that!
Photobucket

Following morning (Sunday)
After spending the night in Tepehuacan de Guerrero, Hidalgo, we were ready for a heavy breakfast.
Photobucket
Waiting for our breakfast to be ready
Photobucket

And our bikes needed to get fed too by Juan, the owner of the hotel, and also provider of gasoline. Fine dude, at first we didn't understand him clearly, but then we got tunned into the same communication channel.
Photobucket

This is the Garmin GPS that has been saving our butts so far. Good battery life, totally waterproof, a little tricky to use with gloves on, but very very useful.
Photobucket

I couldn't figure it out if this little fellow was sick or if it was the way they just breath. I kept thinking yummie..bacon!
Photobucket
Old 12-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
jocejas OP
Adventurer

At this point we hadn't seen the sunlight in about 25 hours or more. It's been all foggy, rainy, sometimes it got a little clearer..I have never drank so much rain water, I kept licking my mustache and just sticking my tongue out.
Here we were riding across one of I don't know how many small towns.
Photobucket

Loose gravel on a curve to the left, I totally underestimated it, and I ended up slipping to the side of the road!! I gotta confess it was scary, but I was lucky enough to fall on a ton of weeds, no rocks, no logs. Tremendously lucky.
Photobucket
Having to lift the KLR was a piece of cake. i kept thinking on the Africa Twin with its 80-90 extra pounds. No thanks!
Photobucket
A different angle.
Photobucket
Bike and myself completely OK. Not even a single scratch. I still can't believe it.
Dano does not know this but I did it on purpose to cheer him up from his crash. Now we are tied 1-1

Lonely roads in Hidalgo, Mexico
Photobucket
and more...
Photobucket

Sometimes the GPS is not good enough...so we needed to ask for directions.
Photobucket

Going down this steep downhill cement street, you should have seen Dano..he got a bit scared of repeating the same story ha ha!
Photobucket

Only 500 feet above the sea leavel, now you understand why palm trees are seen around here..
Photobucket

We kept on riding under heavy fog, light rain.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Dano and ALP
Photobucket

More rain and fog. On the way back to Mexico City. Battery on the camera about to die.
Photobucket
Photobucket

We pulled over to have some carnitas. I was starving It seems all the cold sucks up your energy!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This is us.
Photobucket

Once all the fog went away, we were able to see this nice canyons.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Last picture of the day! My battery died here.
Photobucket

We had to make the trip shorter due to the weather conditions and the two little accidentes we had. We are going back this coming weekend (Saturday December 8th) but this time Dano is taking another Transalp (1997) since he sold ALP. I bought a new windhsield for my KLR (a bit taller) and a new helmet with an antifog shield. Let's see how it works.
Hope you are following! more pics to come!
Any questions, doubts, whatever, about riding in Mexico please feel free to ask. We've been riding for years, we know how to get around.
Cheers!!!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,501
That was a fun little ride, thank you for that.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote