Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #31
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
That was some quick feedback. Thanks.
I had not even looked at the CB1100. It looks interesting. Will have to head down to my local Honda store to check it out. I wonder if they will have a model with some hard bags and maybe a windshield of some sort. Have to be able to pack a few things when traveling, and prefer hard lockable bags.

As to Triumphs, they just don't do it for me. I have tried them out and I know lots of people drool over them, but they just don't fit me, or I don't fit them. Looked at Guzzis as well, like them, but too expensive for me. I have to take into account price plus maintenance and stuff.

Most people either love or hate the cruiser style. Last summer I spent a little time in the saddle of a Vulcan 900 - 4 days and about 1800 miles. I found it was quite comfortable. The owner was riding his brand new Victory. He just had to have one. He is keeping the Vulcan for his wife.

While your at the Honda Dealer have a look at the new Goldwing F6B...

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:02 AM   #32
dflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I think one other consideration you may need to think about is 2 vs. 4 cylinders. Some here have suggested various 4 cylinder bikes. You are accustomed to the twin power delivery and may not like to change.
Have you looked at R1150R or R1200R? I also agree that the Wee-Strom is a great bike.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin
dflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #33
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 819
Your description of a perfect ride is the BMW R1200R:

Current model information:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/616/83...irst-Look.aspx

Nice light weight, great handling, and can add the side and top cases for the RT if you want to cruise.

My 07 R1200R, recently traded:

Naked it looks like this:

The new ride is the R1200RT, essentially the same bike with lots better weather protection and the Camhead engine:

My evolution from the RR to the RT is detailed here:

http://www.dualsportridersoflouisian...ghlight=R1200R

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #34
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
You need to buy lottery tickets. I bought a new 1974 Sportster a few months ago with new tires and picked up a nail after riding less than 50 miles. I have had other flats on new tires One on a new tire on my ex 1150 GSA and had to replace the tire after 100 miles because it was so bad It would not hold air after multiple tries to plug it. I have had to buy another bag of plugs for my stop and go plug kit.

Over the past 35 years I figure I have had over 50 flat tires. It only took one on a large cruiser with no centerstand to realize that was not going to work. I sold that bike shortly thereafter. The CB1100 is a beautiful bike, but I wonder what comfort is like. I would buy the FB6 if I could afford it. It's too complicated for me to work on other than maintenance, but the GL1800 motor is known to last 300,000 miles, a lot farther than I will ride during the rest of my life. And on a Goldwing comfort is a given. The FB6 should be a lot easier to ride around town and in parking lots than a regular Goldwing. When a motorcycle has to have reverse, that's a sure sign that it is too big.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #35
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
I seem to have narrowed the field down to mid-sized cruisers. Mainly looking at the Kawasaki Vulcan 900, Suzuki C50 Boulevard and the VStar 950. I eliminated the Honda 750 is just too small and underpowered for me. I don't need anything larger that 1000cc. I like the lighter weight for daily riding. I have not had a chance to ride all of these bikes, only the Vulcan, which I really liked.
thanks
Interesting that your post indicates you don't want a big bike, yet folks are suggesting Rocket 3 and Goldwing, which are about as big as bikes get. I guess we tend to recommend what we want, rather than what you said you want. I am guilty too, as with my CB1100 / Bonneville / V7 Stone post.

Most cruisers have both spoked wheel and mag-wheel options. The latter don't use tubes, so you could use a plug kit to fix a flat without needing a center stand.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #36
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 737
I have removed the center stand from every bike I ever had that came with one. I admit it's handy for doing maint to the bike but I do that at home so no need to haul the heavy clunky center stand around every where I go. I've always managed to fix anything that came up while out on the road without one and have never missed having one. In fact, I stubbed my toe on one a few weeks ago and threw it in the trash!
I most certainly would not base my choice on a centerstand...
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #37
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Nothing wrong with 800cc-900cc bikes, they are the perfect size for a solo rider and occasional passenger. They are capable of crossing the continent at well over the speed limit. Cruisers in this range are very comfortable.

I went to all 4 Japanese manufacturers sites to see what was available for 2013, and found several I would consider.

1. Suzuki C50 Special Edition. Beautiful bike, has cast wheels and tires. Shaft drive. Liquid cooled.

2. Yamaha V-Star 950 and 950 tourer. Cast wheels and tubeless tires. Belt drive, Air cooled.

3. Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom. Cast wheels, tubeless tires, belt drive, liquid cooled. Unfortunately the 900LT and Classic models have wire wheels, tube type tires, and no centerstands.

4. Honda. They have nothing in this class.

So if it was me, and I were looking for an 800-950 Japanese cruiser, it would be the Suzuki C50SE, either Yamaha 950, or the Kawasaki 900 Custom. I would almost certainly go for the Suzuki, it is gorgeous, has shaft drive, and can be outfitted with bags and a windshield. All these bikes are under $10,000, and will last forever with proper maintenance.
1980 Puch moped
Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #38
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:

So, any info that people can pass along would be very helpful to this old fart in training.

thanks

The quintessential "old fart" bike is the Goldwing GL1800 now available in the F6B configuration as well....

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #39
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Dave, you might also consider mentioning what budget you'd like to work with on this purchase.
The bikes you mention are all in the same economic range, really. So, it makes me think you're ideally looking in the sub $10k new bike range.
Yes?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #40
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Well, some make like the Goldwing, but I definitely am not in that catagory. They are way to heavy, too big, and too expensive for what I want and need. I want a bike that is pretty naked, that I can add a windshield to for when I want to go longer distances (bug protection). I must have hard saddle bags - which can be added to just about any bike.

So it comes down to what will fit my riding style and body. And it has to come in at under $10,000CDN. As I do a lot of back country paved roads and prefer not to hit the superslab, it has to be nimble enough for some twisty roads, but not a "sport" bike. But, also must be capable of sustained 120KPH (80MPH) without giving me major tingles in hands or feet. I can always change out or modify the seat if it doesn't fit my butt.

So, narrowing down the herd. I am still leaning towards a cruiser of some sort. I like the Vulcan 900, VStar 950 and Suzuki C50. I think the seating position on the CB1100 is very similar to my old BMW and that is a position I am trying to get away from. It looks pretty retro, which is nice, but still the old UJM style updated to modern mechanicals and electronics. I think that a lot of people will really like it.

I have been looking at brand new, but am not opposed to a good used bike with low milage. I was just checking out my "local" BMW shop (200 Km away), and they have what looks like a nice 2001 R1200C with windshield and hard bags for sale. Might take a run down there next weekend and have a look. They are asking around $6500 for it, which is well below what I am willing to spend on a new to me bike. It gives me another option. It looks like it is not quite as foot forward as the other cruisers, which may be a good compromise compared to what I presently ride.

some have recomended to the Triumphs and Moto-Guzzi, along with other brands. I just don't see those fitting me. Might have a look at the Triumphs, but not so sure about the big vertical twins. Never liked the buzzy feeling of my old 68 Bonneville from way back when, but I am sure they have changed over time.

Thanks for all the input people. It has helped and opened my eyes to some good possibilities.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #41
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Dave, there are some very good leftover '10/11/12 year model VN900's still to be had new.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #42
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_dan View Post
I have removed the center stand from every bike I ever had that came with one. I admit it's handy for doing maint to the bike but I do that at home so no need to haul the heavy clunky center stand around every where I go. I've always managed to fix anything that came up while out on the road without one and have never missed having one. In fact, I stubbed my toe on one a few weeks ago and threw it in the trash!
I most certainly would not base my choice on a centerstand...

How do you fix a flat tire on a bike with tube type tires? Do you carry around a huge jack? I did when I owned a Honda Rebel, as it was the only way to get the wheels off. I doubt it would have been stable enough on a full sized bike though. When I bought my XT225, I fabricated a prop rod welded to a plate with holes in it that matched the right footpeg holes. To use it you had to put a piece of 2x4 under the sidestand, remove the right footpeg bracket, and install the prop rod to the frame using the footpeg bolts. With it bolted on it couldn't slip. Then a guy on an XT225 forum started making and selling centerstands for them, and I was one of his first customers. When I bought my '01 KLR, the very first thing I got for it was a centerstand. Anyone who rides a bike with tube type tires and no centerstand is just asking for it, and will eventually get it. It might be 50 miles or 50,000 miles, but when it happens all you can do is stand there like a fool looking at your totally disabled bike and wondering what you are going to do. I have been in that position. It ain't fun. Neither was paying more than $300 to have the bike hauled back home. But I considered myself lucky.
1980 Puch moped
Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #43
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
How do you fix a flat tire on a bike with tube type tires? Do you carry around a huge jack? I did when I owned a Honda Rebel, as it was the only way to get the wheels off. I doubt it would have been stable enough on a full sized bike though. When I bought my XT225, I fabricated a prop rod welded to a plate with holes in it that matched the right footpeg holes. To use it you had to put a piece of 2x4 under the sidestand, remove the right footpeg bracket, and install the prop rod to the frame using the footpeg bolts. With it bolted on it couldn't slip. Then a guy on an XT225 forum started making and selling centerstands for them, and I was one of his first customers. When I bought my '01 KLR, the very first thing I got for it was a centerstand. Anyone who rides a bike with tube type tires and no centerstand is just asking for it, and will eventually get it. It might be 50 miles or 50,000 miles, but when it happens all you can do is stand there like a fool looking at your totally disabled bike and wondering what you are going to do. I have been in that position. It ain't fun. Neither was paying more than $300 to have the bike hauled back home. But I considered myself lucky.
I think that stating that someone who rides with tube type tires and no centre stand is asking for trouble is just being alarmist.

There are thousands of riders who run Metric Cruisers and Harley Davidsons who have no issues. True, flat tires happen. BUT, how many people don't carry a cell phone? Many have AAA or CAA that will pay towing charges. Personally, I know enough folks and have enough contacts that I can either get home OR get myself somewhere that I can effect repairs.

Basing a purchase decision on the ability to fix ones own flat is foolish.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #44
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Nothing wrong with 800cc-900cc bikes, they are the perfect size for a solo rider and occasional passenger. They are capable of crossing the continent at well over the speed limit. Cruisers in this range are very comfortable.

I went to all 4 Japanese manufacturers sites to see what was available for 2013, and found several I would consider.

3. Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom. Cast wheels, tubeless tires, belt drive, liquid cooled. Unfortunately the 900LT and Classic models have wire wheels, tube type tires, and no centerstands.

This is good advice. However, I will add something. The Vulcan 900 is capable of crossing the continent. That said, its engine really is working hard at speeds of 70+ mph. It has substantial vibration at those rpm's. Again, if you plan on riding on highways and interstates, I'd be weary of this model. I sold one because of this issue.
scotty918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #45
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
My sense of it is that most people who buy mid-size cruisers replace them with larger engined machines. If you buy new and then trade it you'll take a big hit.

Performance in this class is pretty limited. The Vulcan 900 has 50 HP and weighs 611 lbs.

I guess you have to decide whether that sort of power would satisfy you. On a Guzzi V7 at 150 lbs less, 50 HP might work for me.