Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #76
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Ride what you like and try not to overthink it. A few years back I rode a KLR to San Francisco and back, ~3000 miles, spoked rims handmade soft bags. Worked fine. (I'm mid 50's, 5'8" and 200#s)

Went to trade it in on more of a road bike so I spotted a used Honda VTX 1300. When I went to do the deal there was an '07 1500 Vulcan sitting next to it for the same price. Shaft drive, FI and liquid cooled. Said what the hell and bought it instead. Put soft bags and a windshield on it and this past June rode it to Calgary Canada and back. ~4300 miles in nine days. No issues.

Any bike will have it's pluses and minuses. I would like more power, a sixth gear and the posture is not the best but I mix it up, stand, feet up on bars, then move to the passenger pegs and stand up in the superman pose.

Not like I'm married to it, starting to think about a Victory Cross roads.

Whatever you decide on do it quick. End of the world in 30 days now.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #77
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Whatever you decide on do it quick. End of the world in 30 days now.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #78
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
i know, we are so screwed the light from screwed won't reach us for over a year

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #79
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

For those who think you need a huge displacement bike to travel long distances, check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVxoVEMTXp8
...And while we're at it, let's go ahead and post some videos of someone riding a bicycle across the country just to prove it can be done. It's very important to know how a motorcycle will ride up on the highways and byways. Sometimes displacement is a factor, sometimes it's not. It all depends on the motorcycle.
scotty918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #80
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
I would personally avoid the Vulcan, due to it's wire spoke wheels. I just know I would wind up somewhere north of nowhere with a flat tire (I have had a lot of flat tires) and just worrying about it would ruin the trip for me. ]
You obviously missed the Ride Report where the guy rode his VN900LT to Deadhorse and back, eh? And the one the past summer with the Honda Shadow from North Carolina to the TLH and the Deadhorse and almost all the way back.

Worrying about a flat tire on a bike on a trip is like worrying that you didn't pack enough underwear. It might be an issue - but with a little ingenuity you'll be able to overcome.

Yes, as an Adventure Rider, you'll often be off the beaten path, but I guarantee that with a positive outlook, a few smarts and the ability to adapt, you'll do just fine. If not, I'm glad I don't ride with you.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #81
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,983
Quote:
I would personally avoid the Vulcan, due to it's wire spoke wheels. I just know I would wind up somewhere north of nowhere with a flat tire (I have had a lot of flat tires) and just worrying about it would ruin the trip for me.

You do know that the tubes can be changed fairly easily right ? A plug is easier but changing tube won't kill you.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #82
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
You do know that the tubes can be changed fairly easily right ? A plug is easier but changing tube won't kill you.
I don't mind the tubes in mine so much, but I do despise the damn spokes.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #83
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I don't mind the tubes in mine so much, but I do despise the damn spokes.

I hear you. Just ditched my spoke front wheel for a cast wheel. WAAAAY easier to clean and since I hate cleaning my bike it is a big plus.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #84
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,551
Quote:
I hear you. Just ditched my spoke front wheel for a cast wheel. WAAAAY easier to clean and since I hate cleaning my bike it is a big plus.
I park mine under a leaky gutter.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #85
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Jim View Post

I hear that..as I sit here typing, a truck is bearing down to my place with yet another new machine.
When asked if that was smart with the impending doom lurking just around the corner, I said YES! at least I wont have to make the payments
As for the Vulcan..go for it. Great bikes!
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #86
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Jim View Post
Damnit!

Remember lads and lassies, the Vulcan Custom comes with cast wheels. So, it's not completely mandatory that he have a VN900 with spokes and tubes and whatnot. Bags and windshield and stuff can be added to any bike.
2013's paint scheme.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #87
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,393
Quote:
Tubes can indeed be changed fairly easily. But first you have to have a way to get the bike off the ground so you can get the wheel off the bike. A centerstand makes that easy. I sure wouldn't want to try and support a 900cc v-twin with a piece of pipe while I removed a wheel.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #88
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Tubes can indeed be changed fairly easily. But first you have to have a way to get the bike off the ground so you can get the wheel off the bike. A centerstand makes that easy. I sure wouldn't want to try and support a 900cc v-twin with a piece of pipe while I removed a wheel.

I'm with you, Jerry. I had a 1400 Intruder, got more flats with that thing than any other bike I've owned, seemed like every time I checked for nails there would be one. It really sucked to change tubes.

950 V Star I just pull the wood screw out and stab a plug in it, riding in seconds.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #89
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:

I know what you mean but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. I had to prop up my 1200 with a log to change a tube. It wasn't easy or fun but I wasn't stranded. I have also patched a tube with the wheel still on the bike. That sucked as well but again, I got to ride away with an inflated tire.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #90
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
I have had enough flats over the years that I truly do appreciate being able to get my bike up on the centre stand so that I can remove the wheel safely. Almost all of my previous bikes have had tubes. The only time I have had issues was on an old BMW R75/5 that the centre stand was hooped on. One of the last things I needed to fix, but had not done prior to a trip thru the Rockies to visit friends in Calgary. Naturally, got a flat on a mountain pass. Pushed the bike well off the road, found a short length of thick tree branch and was able to prop the bike up agains a rock and pull the back wheel off to patch the tube. Took longer to get it propped up than to actually fix the tube.

I helped a fellow bike rider last spring who had a flat on his Harley Sportster. I was driving my car at the time and we ended up jacking up the back of the bike with my car's scissor jack and a short piece of 2x4. I held the bike steady while he quickly pulled the real wheel and patched the tube. Then I bought him a beer at the local pub. We have become fairly close friends since.

Now, tell me why it is usually the back tire that gets the flat? At least, that has been my experience. Front's are so much easier to remove.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote