User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
Steep and Cheap

For those that haven't found this site yet, if you are looking for discount outdoor gear, check out steepandcheap.com It seems to be a liquidation outlet for backcountry.com

Steep and Cheap sells limited lots of overstocked items at significant discounts. Sales last for a few minutes and/or until the allotted qty has been sold.

I already have 3 tents of varying sizes, but all are bulkier and heavier than I want to carry on a bike. I have tried solo and bivy sized tents, but decided they just aren't for me.

I kept the site open in a browser tab for the last couple weeks whenever I was on-line. I just scored an ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 2.0 Tent for $77.50 including shipping. For comparison, Backcountry has it on sale right now for $154. List price is $220.

I expect this to be 90% for solo use, but I wanted a 2-man tent, with enough headroom to sit up to dress, and enough room inside and under the vestibule for some gear.

No connection, just wanted to share, maybe save you inmates some money.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 235
Part of BackCountry's marketing...try http://www.gearscan.com/ to see all their outlets at once.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I've bought prolly 30 things off that site. Clothes, sleeping bags, shoes, tents, everything. Love it. If your into the smart phone thing just get the steepandcheap app. Easy to use and updates quick. Never had problems with returning stuff if I didn't like it either.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,341
Maybe it's me, but the really good deals on SteepandCheap seem to be getting fewer are farther between. There still seems to be good deals on tents, but a lot stuff seems like they were grossly overpriced to begin with and lots of odd crap targeted at teens. I got some great deals on a couple cots, sleeping pads, and headlamps a couple years back, but have been less enthused recently. Still plenty of half priced Oakley sunglasses, but they're still 90% more than I'm willing to pay for sunglasses. Also, SAC is a bit pricey on shipping so factor that in, especially on cheaper items.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Maybe it's me, but the really good deals on SteepandCheap seem to be getting fewer are farther between. There still seems to be good deals on tents, but a lot stuff seems like they were grossly overpriced to begin with and lots of odd crap targeted at teens. I got some great deals on a couple cots, sleeping pads, and headlamps a couple years back, but have been less enthused recently. Still plenty of half priced Oakley sunglasses, but they're still 90% more than I'm willing to pay for sunglasses. Also, SAC is a bit pricey on shipping so factor that in, especially on cheaper items.
I agree and there is another thread floating around about SAC. I stated that when you factor in the shipping the deals really aren't that exceptional- at least on anything I'd be interested in. I've only bought a pair of Smith sunglasses through them that I'm happy with. Seems like all they have on there is fashion workout apparel with a few tents thrown in. It's like it's all stuff nobody wants anyway.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
Well I know better than to monitor sites like S&C if I don't need/want to purchase something. Otherwise it can be tempting to buy something I don't need just because it looks like a great deal.

Right now I wouldn't have spent $200 on a tent, but $77.50 shipped is a deal.