Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
enginerd81
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaev View Post
Why is almost every one of these that's on the market a 2002?
As most people have stated, provided you get a good specimen, reliability won't be an issue. 2004's got adjustable suspension and a bit softer spring in the rear. But both of those are easily corrected with aftermarket bits.
enginerd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Every motorcycle from here on out will be compared to my 919.

It's not everyday you come across a comfortable, light, torquey, bike that has a 200 mile range.

One of the few bikes I bought twice.......

PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
I put many miles on mine a year. I need to get some new pics though, played with it a bit since these were taken.

that sure looks like tampa, fl.... I have pics somewhere !
Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
that sure looks like tampa, fl.... I have pics somewhere !

HaHa... yep sure is... on my way to Frenchy's for dinner.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #20
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Every motorcycle from here on out will be compared to my 919.

It's not everyday you come across a comfortable, light, torquey, bike that has a 200 mile range.

One of the few bikes I bought twice.......

That would sound a lot better with a set of MIVV cones on it.
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by husqzilla View Post
That would sound a lot better with a set of MIVV cones on it.

CBR 900 Exhaust retrofit > any off the shelf 919 exhaust ;-)
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I want one

I have wanted one of these for a while, but I've just had a baby and money's tight. I do have a fairly similar bike in the SV650, not quite as powerful, probably not quite as smooth and comfortable either, but it'll have to do until I can get my hands on one of these, or its little brother, the 599.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #23
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burbach View Post
I have wanted one of these for a while, but I've just had a baby and money's tight. I do have a fairly similar bike in the SV650, not quite as powerful, probably not quite as smooth and comfortable either, but it'll have to do until I can get my hands on one of these, or its little brother, the 599.

Going to the 599 would be a step down IMHO. Don't get me wrong, its a great bike, but if you already have a SV then its not worth it. Going from the SV to the 919 on the other hand would be like going from a Sentra to an Altima.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #24
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Going to the 599 would be a step down IMHO. Don't get me wrong, its a great bike, but if you already have a SV then its not worth it. Going from the SV to the 919 on the other hand would be like going from a Sentra to an Altima.
I would definitely prefer the 919, but the 599 makes about 95hp (I think) from its inline-4 while the SV makes about 70hp from its V-twin, and I think they weigh about the same, so I would think (not having ridden a 599) that it would still be quite a bit of a step up.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
I would definitely prefer the 919, but the 599 makes about 95hp (I think) from its inline-4 while the SV makes about 70hp from its V-twin, and I think they weigh about the same, so I would think (not having ridden a 599) that it would still be quite a bit of a step up.
Both the naked Hondas and SV are currently on my short list to purchase one of them soon. Some things I've learned in my research. The 599 makes about 85 hp at the wheel. The 95h-100hp is number is rated from the crank. The 919 makes an honest 105hp at the wheel. More important than this is HOW the engines make their power. The 599 likes to rev, and makes its power up top. The 919 though makes power from much lower in the rev range and has about 20 ft/lb more torque on hand. Even though the HP numbers are similar the two bikes will provide a very different riding experience.

I've never ridden either Honda, but spent some seat time on the SV. I think I'd rather have the 919 though.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #26
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,862

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Quote:
I'd take an SV650 over the 599. Not really sure the peak power difference is anywhere near as significant as your numbers suggest--I think are may be comparing rather optimistic crank figures for the 599 to typical rwhp figures for the SV. The SV feels more responsive and to me handles a little better. 919 definitely feels bigger and more grunty than the SV.

I did a 9k mile trip on a 919. Fantastic looking bike and good fun to ride too. Downs for me were rather budget suspension, weird vibration in the left foot peg, and a less than great seat. Proved dead reliable and reasonably quick through the twisty bits

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #28
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I'd take an SV650 over the 599. Not really sure the peak power difference is anywhere near as significant as your numbers suggest--I think are may be comparing rather optimistic crank figures for the 599 to typical rwhp figures for the SV. The SV feels more responsive and to me handles a little better. 919 definitely feels bigger and more grunty than the SV.

I did a 9k mile trip on a 919. Fantastic looking bike and good fun to ride too. Downs for me were rather budget suspension, weird vibration in the left foot peg, and a less than great seat. Proved dead reliable and reasonably quick through the twisty bits
That's good to know, I suppose I'll hold out for a 919, or who knows, maybe a Speed Triple! Though I am perfectly happy with the SV for now
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #29
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Left foot peg = dirty chain. I have to keep mine spotless and well lubed for it to be smooth.

Also, running thicker oil in the forks makes a huge difference in the suspension.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #30
schlitz
the slow one

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
I was actually looking for an SV650 when I found my 599. In all the comparison tests the SV bested the 599 in hp and tq up until 9K rpm, making it the better city/commuter bike. I found a great deal on an SV but couldn't get in contact with the owner. The 599 popped up and was in excellent shape so I scooped it up. It's a fun bike and its European cult status/US rarity always sparks conversation with fellow riders. I'd still like to test ride an SV someday though and definitely a 919 as well.

schlitz screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 07:01 AM
schlitz is offline   Reply With Quote