Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #31
enginerd81
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Left foot peg = dirty chain. I have to keep mine spotless and well lubed for it to be smooth.

Also, running thicker oil in the forks makes a huge difference in the suspension.
I thought I was lubing mine enough and I ended up with a sticky link. Was giving this low frequency popping feel. Took a rivet breaker to it and with just a littler persuasion it loosened up.

*Before anybody tells me I should have replaced the chain - the bike had 4k miles on it and the sprockets were in great shape.
enginerd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #32
speedisgood OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I have noticed, from photos, some 919 riders using Shinko tires. How have these worked? The price is certainly attractive.
speedisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #33
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedisgood View Post
I have noticed, from photos, some 919 riders using Shinko tires. How have these worked? The price is certainly attractive.
I bought mine used with shinko 005's on it. They were good tires on dry and wet roads. Traction was fine and no complaints. I've had great results with michelin PR3's, and went to them at replacement time. I would have no problem with using the shinkos again, however.
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #34
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,840
919 in red is one of my favorite bikes ever (to look at). I love round headlights.

I rode a used one (dealer) prior to buying my CBF. Seemed sportier, to be sure, but vibrations were pronounced. Didn't buy because at highway speeds, 5000 RPM it was buzzy as hell. Maybe this isn't normal, but it was the only one I rode, so I bought the CBF instead.

Perhaps this bike had an issue. I see posts about guys doing big miles. How are 919s on the highway?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #35
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
mine is fantastic on the highway. the "buzz" is pretty normal for a 919. i swapped to a set of renthals and that got rid of most of mine.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #36
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
^^^
Same here. I switched to Renthal Ultralows and the buzz is gone.
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #37
speedisgood OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Perhaps this bike had an issue. I see posts about guys doing big miles. How are 919s on the highway?
I didn't have a problem with buzziness at all. I purchased the bike in the US and rode home to Canada on it (hyway). It was just as comfortable on the hyway as my DL650 was, except at cruising speed it ran at lower RPM, and had a lot more passing power generally. I do find the stock handle bars to be a bit narrow though, and will probably go with Renthal at some stage. I also have an aftermarket windscreen, and this would be important to have if one were planning to spend a lot of time on the hyway.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #38
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,955
I have a 919, the wife has an SV650 (and a Hypermotard as well that has replaced the SV)

I got the 919 from a friend who didn't like the bike because it vibrated like mad and she was moving away from riding street bikes.

I would have rather had a 599 at least for the kind of riding I do, I found the 919 to be boring, a bit bland, not unlike a what you would expect from a nighthawk 900. Not a bad bike, but just not that interesting. Where the 599 was, sure it was slower
and it even had carbs, there was a more visceral quality to the bike that I enjoyed.

But I couldn't turn down a good deal and I needed a "dad bike" one that could sit for weeks on end and still give me no hassle when I wanted to go for a ride.

The bike does vibrate like mad, worse then any other in line four Honda in good nick that I've been on.
And the 919 Stink does in fact exist. at least on my bike. The stink is no where near as bad as some have made it out to be, it's there, me and my gear smell like we've been on a bike.

I use it for commuting, sporty canyon riding and touring. (I've got the full set of hard bags and the small Honda flyscreen)
I get about 140 miles to the light coming on and put just under 5 gallons of gas in it.
Other then a dead battery I've had nothing of seriousness go wrong, but the fit and finish of the 919 is not as nice as my last newer Honda a Superhawk VTR996, Brackets and finishes are just a little cheaper.

My bike is near totally stock save for a flat steel bar and bar rise and backs. It's in candy glory red but I've got the body work to change it all to matte green.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #39
Shadow 9er
renegade

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
mine is fantastic on the highway. the "buzz" is pretty normal for a 919. i swapped to a set of renthals and that got rid of most of mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqzilla View Post
^^^
Same here. I switched to Renthal Ultralows and the buzz is gone.
Yep, the stock bars vibrate quite a bit. When I first got mine, my throttle had would go numb from the vibes...which was fine if I was looking to give myself "The Stranger", but otherwise I found it to be uncomfortable. Things were much nicer after I replaced the stock bars with Renthals. The thicker material and different vibrational frequency of the aluminum makes the difference, I reckon

Going +1 on the front sprocket also helped reduce the vibes, overall.
Shadow 9er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #40
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow 9er View Post
...which was fine if I was looking to give myself "The Stranger"
Old 11-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #41
wonderings
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
My first "newer" bike was a 2002 CB919, picked it up used back in 2005. The bikes I had owned previously were 15+ years old. I love the power of the 919, it is there when you want it, no matter what gear your in. I did eventually hand down to my brother as I moved to a GS that better suited my riding and needs in a bike.

The bike is still in the family, its been passed down twice now, first to my brother, then to my cousin-in-law who has given it a bit of a beating, which is painful to see, but thats part of learning I guess.

It was original blue, till some lady knocked it over in a parking lot. She replaced all the scratched and dented parts, which allowed me to turn it into a black bike, which I prefer over the blue. Wish I had gone with flat black though.

Seems like all my friends bikes are my old ones. My old 919, my old '06 GS and my9 new '10 GSA.
2010 GSA
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #42
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Neither one of my 919's had the "stink" or vibration issues.
PAULIBIKER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #43
wonderings
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Neither one of my 919's had the "stink" or vibration issues.
I never had the stink, but the vibrations where there for sure. On long 800 km days, I sure felt it. I did buy bar end weights which were supposed to absorb some of the vibrations, but never got them installed.
2010 GSA
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #44
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Great Bike

I had a 2004 with factory shield. I cured a lot of the vibe problem with Throttlemiester.

http://watrboyjon.smugmug.com/Motorc...3525&k=k3Gt2xW
watrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #45
speedisgood OP
Adventurer

How have you found the Corbin seat on the 919? I had one on my DL650, and for that bike it was a big improvement. However I did find it a bit slippery -- every time I stopped hard I would slide forward quite a bit. It was also pretty heavy, but undeniably useful on long trips.