Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
atomizer OP
Be here now

Oddometer: 264
Absolute must haves for a 950 traveling in Mexico?

Hey everyone,
Just got an 06 950 Adventurer and am headed for a couple week tour of Copper Canyon Mexico in January.
What are the must haves for this trip? Stuff for the bike mostly. Spare parts, etc...
The bike is set up with luggage and will be tuned up nicely for the trip.
Beers, Atom...
atomizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,853
I would say bring spares of things that could leave you stranded. High on my list are a spare fuel pump and a water pump kit. Of course be sure you have the tools to do any road side repairs.

Dave
Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
A couple tubes and a sense of adventure... should be set.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
Extra fuel pump. Easy replacement. If the battery is more than one year old, I would replace. As far as the water pump repair kit, if it has been done in the last few thousand miles, its proly good. Change brake fluid, oil, and anti-freeze. One more thing, if travel off the beaten path gas. I found myself pushing 250 miles. I like the 2 gallon Rotpax gas can. Have fun and do it.
Scott Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Just got back, make sure you fix all the TSB. My chain guide had come off, the bolts that hold that in place need locktite. I found 2 one liter fuel jugs to be needed, and when only green gas is available, unplug the wire under your seat, extra tubes and a way to inflate them, fuel pump repair or replace before, same with water pump and you should be good to go.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 860
Take half the crap and twice the money! Last time I was there I only allowed myself one bag for clothes n stuff. Filled the second one up with contraband along the way.

That said, I stuff extra tubes into the upper front fairings and have irons and a little manual pump with co2 under the seat. Also have a spare clutch slave, some carb orings, a bag of assorted bolts and nuts, tape, a few extra tools, zip ties, extra wire, some fuel line, a water pump kit, spare carb mains (had to use them too to lean it out at altitude), some tube patches, and most importantly a roll of tp in a ziplock.

Clutch slave and water pump are a bit overkill, but I had them on the shelf and said why not. Wouldn't buy them for the trip though, I'd have simply brought a slave oring, and maybe the seal and a bearing for the pump...maybe. Its not quite the end of the world there. Mechanic maestros and Vulcanizadoras are plenty and standard auto parts stuff like a fuel pump for instance aren't too hard to come by, especially once in Chihuahua. Also worst case, it seems there never is a problem finding a guy with a pickup.

Have fun. Don't get shot. Enjoy the Victoria. Don't be afraid to take the back road out of Batopillas towards Urique. The big 950 can make it.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
atomizer OP
Be here now

Oddometer: 264
Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the info. Water pump has been done. I'll carry a spare fuel pump and all the misc stuff mentioned. TSB? and when only green gas is available, unplug the wire under your seat? What is that wire?
I have new Heienau K60 tires. Those worthy for Copper canyon or should I go for more aggressive tread?

Feel free to mention cool stops and camping along the way or must does or sees.
Beers, Atom
atomizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
I doubt if you will have any octane issues in Mexico but you might want to pack an extra fuel filter or two if you are genuinely in an area where you have to source fuel secondhand and out of bottles. Availability of Pemex fuel has improved quite a bit in the last decade and the quality out of the pump is fine, in many places better than US gasoline quality.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
From Here: http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html#LowOctanePlug

Low Octane Plug: The LC8 engine in the 950/990 KTM Adventures and Super Enduros line have an 11.5:1 compression ratio. It is designed to run on 95 RON premium fuel. The equivilent octane in the USA is 91 octane (RON+MON)/2. KTM thoughtfully provided a wire under the seat that can be disconnected when the high octane stuff isn't available. It causes the ECU to select a less aggressive ignition advance curve to prevent preignition. It is supposed to be good for down to 80 RON (77 in the USA).

KTM specifies that only one tank of low octane fuel be used at a time. ie: this is supposed to be for emergency use only. Not for a way to run less expensive gas as a routine.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
alphajory
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
the k 60 rear tires are good and stand up well. it depends on how much off road a dirt you plan on doing. i have ran the dunlop 606 front which is a bit more aggressive and has a stiffer sidewall, this combination works for me.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 399
Sporting wood's list is a good one. I would add baby wipes in a zip lock bag and some disposable gloves. As far as tires I ran a Mefo rear and tkc80 front. We did 1200 miles and maybe 100-150 were pavement and they held up great.

2013 KTM 300 SX: converted into woods weapon
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan950ser View Post
Sporting wood's list is a good one. I would add baby wipes in a zip lock bag and some disposable gloves. As far as tires I ran a Mefo rear and tkc80 front. We did 1200 miles and maybe 100-150 were pavement and they held up great.
Baby wipes and gloves, I had those too! I ran TKCs but would run Heidenaus or mefos in a heartbeat. They last longer... though the curves to Bahuichivo are fun with the stickier rubber. Copper Canyon is totally about the dirt though, spending the majority of the time on pavement would sux.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,211
I you just got a 950A: 1st, congrats on one of the finest "piece of freedom" machines available.

2nd: go change the tube in your rear tire now, just so you know how much "fun" it is. This is not something you want to learn on the side of the road in Cu Canyon! Take a good rear tube as a spare and at least a couple patch kits with good glue tubes that aren't all dried out. And a couple of big truck tire size patches. Rear flats (due to load and speed) are this big bike's soft underbelly. I've had two that turned into double-day adventures.

3: take an electric air pump, remove the typical "egg" they come in, put it in a shop rag under the seat. Most useful tool. This can sub for a fuel pump too, just put it on the end of the RH tank vent hose and "blow" for a bit. Yes, I've done this twice on two different e-pump bikes. Close off the LH gas cap with mexicano plastico bolsas.

4: Knowledge. There is so much here that is so useful. Read up on it. Take a copy of the electrical wiring diagram for the bike. Having it means you won't need it!

5: if your bike has Gobis, have enough straps to tie a gobie back to its rack after you fall, 'cause the latch almost always blows if you tipover medio to to hard.

6: don't worry about the octane of the gas, in my experience that is not an issue at all with Pemex. My 950 actually runs great on the stuff green or red, I just run the green Magna as that is usually all you will find in the field. All the jug gas I ever bought in the field was good, they buy it at Pemex just like everybody else. No ethanol means better milage too.

7: Have fun! Take it easy, ride to finish the day, it is not a race. That is over on the penninsula!

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,090
CASH !

and a couple tubes

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 311
Great choice - Cooper Canyon will not disappoint.

I went the Chepe route and rented 4X4; sadly the 950 was left at home.

Just a suggestion, if you don't already have a AAA international driver's license [they used to be $10.00] you may want to get one just in case you need a walk/throw-away. I didn't need it, you probably won't either but for $10.00 it's cheap insurance.

FWIW - I was warned not to venture off track in Urique and Batopilas as some people grow stuff down in the valleys. I didn't see anything or have any issues anywhere in Mexico.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote