User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
fanderson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Looking at buying a Garmin 60CX ,CS or CSX?

I am looking for a cheaper gps that can do the following for me, and am just a little lost about the differences in the three choices I mentioned. I am a gps noob and the only gps I am used to is "Navigation" on my android.

Ideally I would like to be able to.

-Use for highway riding around the states, and mexico. As well as off road on the drz, and on ohv areas with my dedicated dirtbike.
-Show my Tracks
-Be able to automatically route me to a destination.
-Create my own route that the gps will follow and give me directions etc (this is where im pretty lost)

Are these any good for use on roads? I will more than likely be using this instantly on a trip to baja in january.

Thanks
fanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
The 60 series is/was the party line for many Garmin fans... it is a capable GPS, however it is now quite outdated technology. I was never a fan of this GPS and jumped from an eTrex Vista to the Oregon 450.

The 60CSx or 60Cx (don't bother with the CS) will do what you want, but those who are selling them think they're gold plated and are asking WAY too much money. Don't pay a premium price for a GPS that is now several years out of date.

What is your budget? Almost everybody will tell you to go with the Montana, but it's $400 + accessories and maps.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
fanderson OP
Adventurer

My budget is right around 300.

Looking at that oregon you spoke of would you recommend that instead? Seems nice, and even cheaper new, is it pretty good for directions on the road? Can it track?

This thing will be be used only for the bikes, no hiking or hunting.

fanderson screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 05:54 PM
Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 712
It's funny they went down in price and then went back up a lot. I still like mine though.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanderson View Post

Looking at that oregon you spoke of would you recommend that instead? Seems nice, and even cheaper new, is it pretty good for directions on the road? Can it track?

The Oregon is a very good gps and with the right maps will give direction info on the road, but they won't be spoken directions, just beeps and arrows.

The big problem with using the Oregon on a motorcycle is that it uses mini usb as a power source and that doesn't last long, in my experience. 6 months is the longest I got out of the usb before it started misbehaving.

I think you should save up a little longer, or dig deeper, and get a Montana instead. It'll be the last gps you buy for a very long time.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I've never had a problem with my Oregon 450, despite it being used with the mini USB connector on my BMW for 20000 km (before I wrecked the bike) on all terrains (fire/forest roads and highways). I would recommend it, with the reservation that you'll probably want a larger screen.

Somebody in another thread said they saw the Oregon 450 for $199. The Montana will exactly twice that price... your call!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightventure View Post
It's funny they went down in price and then went back up a lot. I still like mine though.
Supply and demand... unfortunately, I think the demand is unwarranted. Like I said, it was a good GPS, but it's dated technology now. I wouldn't buy a 60CSx/60Cx now if I was in the market.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #8
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
Supply and demand... unfortunately, I think the demand is unwarranted. Like I said, it was a good GPS, but it's dated technology now. I wouldn't buy a 60CSx/60Cx now if I was in the market.
I would. I like buttons vs. touch screens. I don't need all the bells and whistles of the Montana and Oregon. My 60CsX works perfectly for the kind of riding I do.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
I would. I like buttons vs. touch screens. I don't need all the bells and whistles of the Montana and Oregon. My 60CsX works perfectly for the kind of riding I do.
+1 , I also prefer buttons.
In my case sub 76CSx for 60CSx (pretty much the same thing in a different package)
Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

My only complaint related to the touchscreen on my Oregon 450 is that marking a waypoint in the fly is more difficult than it should be. On my eTrex Vista, two clicks of the thumb stick was all it took. I far prefer a touchscreen user interface than buttons.

To each their own...
Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I far prefer a touchscreen user interface than buttons.

To each their own...
+1

I would never go back either to a button gps or one which was limited in the way it handled maps and tracks. But as you say, to each his own.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
In my case sub 76CSx for 60CSx (pretty much the same thing in a different package)
The 76/78 series units are classified as "Marine" units.

The 60/62 series use a quad helix antenna. The 76/78 use a patch antenna, which has very good reception as long as the unit is held flat. The quad helix antenna improves reception and is better suited to holding the GPS in a more upright vertical position.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
fanderson OP
Adventurer

I think I just became more lost because of this thread lol
Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #14
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
I think I just became more lost because of this thread lol
Its all a compromise.

YouTube has many videos on various models and features. Sit down, watch some and take notes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLkaLON_7rM

I replaced my Delorme PN40 with a Garmin GPSmap 62s and couldn't be happier. Sure, it gets its external power though a mini USB connector, but I've never used it for that, even in the truck. I get some purdy good mileage out of a set of PowerEx rechargeable batteries and a PowerEx Wizard One charger.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 03:59 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #15
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
The 76/78 series units are classified as "Marine" units.

The 60/62 series use a quad helix antenna. The 76/78 use a patch antenna, which has very good reception as long as the unit is held flat. The quad helix antenna improves reception and is better suited to holding the GPS in a more upright vertical position.

daryl
I have a Garmin 78s and can say that it has zero issues receiving sat signal no matter how you hold it. I've seen no noticeable difference on the sat screen in how it's receiving and the accuracy has remained stable.