User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Muddy3 OP
Muddy

Oddometer: 38
Simplified Wiring Harness Help, Please!

This little project is my future RTW bike. Frame/subframe from an RT. Main frame is reinforced with standard HPN fare. Engine and drivetrain are from a 93 R100gs. Front end is from a Yamaha. Top end is on it's way. The goal is to keep this bastard bike simple and light.

Next up is the wiring harness. I'd like to simplify it as much as possible. The plan is to separate the lighting from the ignition/charging system. The lighting/ instrument side will consist of a Tusk dual sport system adapted to fit this bike. I need help with the ignition/charging side. What's the simplest, bombproof wiring harness that I can put together using the parts from a standard R100gs.

I came across this diagram of a dual ignition system for mid 80's R100 engine adapted for ultralite use.

This dual ignition system is standard for aircraft but not needed for my application. If you subtract that piece, am I in the ballpark for something that might work?
I realize there are a few differences between the mid 80's BMW wiring harness and the one from a 93gs. If you have these kind of skills and are willing to help me out...I'm all ears. Thanks!
Muddy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 578
Might be worth a browse of a thread by adventure950. He made up a wiring harness for him hpn style build. May have some more ideas. Good luck with the build.. it looks very nice.
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,033
You may want to reconsider eliminating the "duel" ignition as it could aid in reliability on a RTW trip. Would also recommend a 330 ohm resistor in parallel with the charge light and locating the fuses in an easily accessible location.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,975
I think the wiring you have shown is fine. I'd want dual plugging tho on something like you are planning and I think that extra circuit would run the bottom plugs just fine. As much as we complain about the quality of gasoline here in some places it is worse. Dual plugs help a lot I hear.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
If you want to stick with BMW color coding use a /5 wire harness. They're only $65.00 new(part no. 61 11 1 354 674)
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote