Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
zoo mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
I can't help myself; picked up a Yamaha XS2.

Found this thing on local CL, looked reasonably complete, but kinda rough, guy said it ran, so I went to check it out. Pulled in after dark to something out of American Pickers, lotsa junk. The bike had not been licensed since 1995, but the guy was eager to show me how well it ran.....from gas in a coffee can. Sure enough, he fired it up and it sounded great. I said, "you changed the oil right?" "No, but there's plenty in there" Needless to say, we turned it off immediately.

100% complete and original with exception of rear grab bar and 1990s tires. Tank paint is faded on top, and it has the usual frame rust in the underseat area. Looks to have a head gasket leak. Right now, it is just undergoing a really thorough detailing. Need to rebuild the front brake, and get the rust out of the gas tank before running it. Was thinking of detailing it and flipping it, but I'm getting a sinking feeling I'm going to want to ride it. It's an affliction.

First pic is as-found. Second is once it got home, and third after a cursory detailing. More to come.

zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 524
Sweet!!
Kt-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,070
www.mikesxs.com Where are you located?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
zoo mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

West coast of Michigan. Thanks for the link to Mike's, I've purchased a couple of things there before.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo mob View Post
West coast of Michigan. Thanks for the link to Mike's, I've purchased a couple of things there before.
There are a lot of parts available for the XS... easy sleddin!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years

I remember when the first ones came out in '69.. that big TLS drum brake up front! With race-ready removable rubber venting plugs! Positively right off the race track....
Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
AtLarge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Ya ride it!
2008 GSX1300-BKK8 #1120
Cardo Scala rider G4 PowerSet
AtLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,416
Nice looking old beast, how long has it been sitting for?
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo mob View Post
Anywhere near the Silver Lake State Park? I rode it, I LOVED it! We got some dunes near the beach, except you can't RIDE on them, you'd be shot at sunrise, raping mother nature and all...
Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I had a mint XS-1, all original back when I was in high school in the early eighties.

I sold it for as I recall, the paltry sum of like $650 bucks!!

What the hell was I thinking?
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
zoo mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Concours- I am about 25 miles south of Silver Lake in Muskegon. Beautiful country up there. As for the XS, my "detailing" has gone a little further. I've got it torn down pretty far to clean in all of the nooks and crannies and am now at a turning point. Do I keep going and pull the motor, do new seals on the motor, headgasket etc. and really do this right? At that point, if I have the motor out, I might as well blast and re=spray the frame right....and at that point, I'd better make everything else perfect if the frame looks new. Ugh!

Question for you guys on originality; I'd really like to keep it original, but the rust on the seat under the frame drives me nuts. How much do you think it would add or detract value if I were to do a little sanding and spraying to make that area look nice again? Any experience in this? Also, who has pulled a motor out of one these? How hard of a job?

Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

That rust can be cleaned up really easily with some green scotchbrite pads,then cleaned with brake cleaner.

Prime it, then here is the key...

Use Gloss Black Appliance Epoxy spray paint in a rattle can.

Its very tough, looks like original color and if done correctly, you'll never be able to tell the difference.

I gotta warn you though...you wont want to stop there. Next thing you know, you'll be pulling the motor to paint the entire frame.

Pulling the motor is really pretty simple on these bikes...lots of folks lay the bike on its side and pull the frame off of it.

Same thing when you put it back together...lay the motor on an old car tire and lay the frame over it.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

On second thought...looking at those pics again.

I think you should skip the whole project and just let me take that bike off your hands for ya.

Ill save you the hassle, lol.

That bikes gonna clean up really nicely, very original looking and theyre getting harder and harder to come by.

Please, keep that puppy original.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
zoo mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I's not going to be altered, the problem is when to stop. If the frame looks perfect, then do I paint the tank etc. We will see.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I bought a 1967 Honda CB160 at a neighbors garage sale last summer.

I wasnt looking for one, nor did I particularly want one....but, this thing was so original, so complete, rust free, and clean I had to stop and look at it.

Price sticker on gas tank filler cap said $500 obo.

So I had to ask the owner what he knew about the bike...lo and behold, he was the original owner...bought it new in 1967!

He had the original Montana Title, totally unaltered and in perfect condition too!

Had the complete tool kit, pouch, original unweather checked tires, and even the owners manual.

I just couldnt risk the bike falling into the wrong hands and getting trashed by someone that may not appreciate its history and completeness.

I offered him $400, he snapped it up in a heart beat.

Now my dilemna is, just like yours...do I clean it up or leave the original patina/time capsule look in place?

If I do start doing touch ups, where do I stop?

I havent done anything to it yet simply because I hate to alter it.