Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Nice score the '72 model is my favorite looks wise. I found my '76 XS 650 C laying on it's side near Gas City In. while taking my daughter to Ball State in 2000. I replaced the ape hangers and tossed the sissy bar. I stumbled onto a NOS tank that was ordered in 1980 and got it for that price, so I made up my mind that I would leave the engine in the frame and clean and touch up the obvious signs of neglect and leave the rest alone because I wanted a nice looking survivor. I touched up the frame with black Krylon and scuffed, polished and rescuffed the touched up spots to blend in the touched up spots with the exsisting paint. I repainted the headlight ears, headlight bucket and touched up the rust spots on the side covers. The chrome on the fenders was bad and since I never liked chromed fenders they were delt with quickly enough. I have reproduction turn signals to mount and the mufflers are Emgo. I cleaned it up with an eye on how it would look had I bought it new.

nsu max screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 10:52 PM
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #17
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsu max View Post
Nice score the '72 model is my favorite looks wise. I found my '76 XS 650 C laying on it's side near Gas City In. while taking my daughter to Ball State in 2000. I replaced the ape hangers and tossed the sissy bar. I stumbled onto a NOS tank that was ordered in 1980 and got it for that price, so I made up my mind that I would leave the engine in the frame and clean and touch up the obvious signs of neglect and leave the rest alone because I wanted a nice looking survivor. I touched up the frame with black Krylon and scuffed, polished and rescuffed the touched up spots to blend in the touched up spots with the exsisting paint. I repainted the headlight ears, headlight bucket and touched up the rust spots on the side covers. The chrome on the fenders was bad and since I never liked chromed fenders they were delt with quickly enough. I have reproduction turn signals to mount and the mufflers are Emgo. I cleaned it up with an eye on how it would look had I bought it new.
In my humble opinion, the '76 XS650C was the start of the maturity of the XS650, had one from '78 to '83, one of the best 650's I've had, did some travelling on that beast!

'74 GT750 Waterbottle outfit & '76 XS650C in the Tumut Valley - circa '79
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote