Old 11-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Old 11-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

so, as you can see above, i installed new vee rubber trials tires and new tubes. i also changed the bars and grips. i noticed a frayed throttle cable, so that's next on the list. now, i believe i'm gonna ride it as is. can't wait to get it out there. being new to trials, i can't believe how sticky these tires are. running a tire at 5.5/5 lbs of pressure seems crazy, too, but i'm already amazed at the difference that small change made to my balancing in the driveway. i also believe the lower handlebar put me in a better "attack" position, and i'm sure this helped also. i received my first set of trials boots (gaerne balance oiled) and helmet (airoh trr steel), and again, i'm blown away. the boots feel like they were custom made for me and need no break-in, and the helmet is lighter than wearing a baseball cap (and more comfortable, too). thank you all for listening - i appreciate any feedback

schrauber, i found your post over on the orange website and i'm on page 8 of 16 regarding your sherpa rebuild. i'm trying to pace myself and not read it all at once because the pictures are too graphic and cause me shortness of breath and sometimes dizziness and involuntary muscle contractions. your bike(s) are incredible, as are the other vintage trials bikes you photographed, the landscape you ride is breathtaking, the events that you participate in are massive, and your attention to detail, whether in your description of the restoration, or the work itself, is truly inspiring. i look forward to more from you, and i count you as a resource!

lowPSI, you were right on the money about the tires - they were both made in espana, the pirelli and the firestone. great to have you guys (and everyone else) here with information
Old 11-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65SlashTwo View Post
Congrats on the Sherpa; she's a beaut.

My feeling is to not worry too terribly much about the
original equip and ride the damned thing! I got lots
of pleasure from my '74 and they should be ridden.

Best of luck!
Slash
The reason I mentioned the Firestone front tire was that it may has some value to someone doing a restoration on a Spanish MX bike. Of course mounting modern rubber is they way to go if you are going to ride it. Have fun.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
cough ... cough ... I now feel very flattered.

Good to know you like it and there will be also an update soon.

Thank's again
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Im going out on a limb here, but the rear sprocket, looks smaller, as if it came off a 199 series, so it might be geared higher than trials at the time, I know they changed internals to do this later models. NO, I dont recall the # of teeth, but I know I remember that dad had the 76, I had the 79 and there was a difference in the sprockets to make the bikes more or less equal speeds at idle. back then, you know, those of us that didn't know any better, rode without pulling the clutch in, until you got your scorecard punched. LOL.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #21
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

thanks for the info sting. i'm gonna count the teeth and see if i can find the stock number of teeth in 1973. i have no idea what a vintage trials bike should "feel" like, so i don't know if i'm geared right or wrong. obviously, it feels massively different than my enduro or mx bikes.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
As the bike is build in 1973 as you said, the bike should be a model 92.
For this model there is a ratio given of: 3,71.
(works specification for the secondary drive)

This would be: 14 front and 52 rear.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #23
GarageRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Great looking Bul! What's the orange site? (Sorry)
GarageRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #24
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

don't know if this site wants me to mention other forums, but i was talking about ktmtalk. if the mods want to remove this post, i won't be offended.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #25
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

wow - i took the bike out to a really small local spot where there is a small but abrupt grass drainage ditch lined with a few trees behind some nearby houses. remember this is my first time on a trials bike. i've been street and dirt riding for about 20 years and have been racing hare scrambles for a few years now on a ktm 200xc. i have raced a few races on older post vintage/evolution class bikes, also, but my little 20 or 30 minutes on the bultaco was a true workout! i'm beat! what a fun time, and a true test of skills. i have nobody local to follow around and the only spot i've seen other trials bikes at is about 3 hours away, so it was just my son and i out there "goofing around." i hope i'm not making any bad habits before i learn some proper technique. i know there is a video out about classic trials techniques that i should probably look into. for now, all i've used for motivation is vintage trials youtube videos. until today, i had only practiced turning and figure 8's within one lane of the street in front of my house and balancing with the bike off, front wheel lightly against my truck bumper. what a complete difference it was just on the few feet of up and down in the little ditch area. i thought i was getting good at tight circles until i tried to do them at an angle, or with sand/grass/roots below the tires! i knew i had to work on my fitness before i started, and i wasn't wrong. last week i contacted the most local trials organization and made some arrangements to come out and compete. unfortunately, the president told me that there wasn't enough interest in vintage bikes to have a stand alone class, but there are a few guys through the different classes riding vintage bikes and doing well on them. basically, he invited me to come out and have some fun, and that is what i intend to do. until then, i'm going to work on any skills that i can pick up, and try to soak up some knowledge from you guys and ladies. any input and advice is always welcomed - thanks in advance
Old 11-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #26
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

i finally got off my butt and picked up a kill switch. the switch has two wires and i'm assuming they go to the terminal block under the gas tank. using the schematic patrik supplied on page 1 of this thread, it looks like the kill switch is only 1 wire, so, as usual, i'm confused
HELP
can someone tell me where to connect the 2 kill switch wires - thanks in advance
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #27
JRAM
sherpa

Oddometer: 39
Splice one wire to the black wire under the tank- usually there is enough room to slide it into the terminal with the black wire coming from the engine, then connect the other wire to the frame or suitable ground. This is assuming it is a spring loaded switch you push and hold down to kill the engine. Hope this helps.
JRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #28
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

it does help, immensely. hope to get it done tonight. thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #29
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthaler View Post
i finally got off my butt and picked up a kill switch. the switch has two wires and i'm assuming they go to the terminal block under the gas tank. using the schematic patrik supplied on page 1 of this thread, it looks like the kill switch is only 1 wire, so, as usual, i'm confused
HELP
can someone tell me where to connect the 2 kill switch wires - thanks in advance
THis is a switch that "grounds" whatever it is connected to, back through the second wire instead of to the handlbars... Handlbars with paint didnt ground very well, in fact it was not uncommon to get shocked, if painted bars, or if the killswitch itself was loosened or anything (not getting good ground). Thus the 2 wire one is just better than single wire ones.

So one lead is bolted to ground, the other should be hooked to (as explained above) to that block, were the leads come from the points/side case, if I recall correctly. follow your instructions given by others or the diagram, you will be glad you did the 2 wire version of killswitch
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

thank you to jram and sting.