Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #496
TheEpicEngine
Adv Storyteller

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Have you tried lowering the pegs? Also if you need to slide back further, there's a Terry Adcox flat seat (not mine):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7630244363554/
That's an interesting seat, may consider it if hadn't sunk $$$ in a Corbin. I have not lowered the pegs but, to be honest, I'm over the bike. That being said, I'd recommend buying one to a (average size) friend in a heartbeat.
TheEpicEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #497
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
My big disappointment was a gorgeous 2005 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika. It oozed build quality, full Ohlins, pretty rare, I thought it VERY good looking for a BMW, It worked ... just fine. But I just couldn't get comfy on it. No amount of moving controls made it a more than 1-2 hour bike. The engine also had that strange oilhead shimmy that was fine on the R1150GS I had but was a little irritating on this bike.

I sold it gladly and not long after bought a clean 2001 Sprint RS for $2,500 (!) that was superior to the BCR in every way. I only sold it (to a friend) as I ended up having a three level cervical fusion back in Nov. I'm recovering from that well and considering buying the RS back. The friend liked it a lot but got a Tiger 955i for the better pillion perch. BTW, I converted the RS to regular bars for comfort.
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #498
CheesyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
FJR. I really liked it at first, but now I fear that I'll fall asleep when riding it. I've discovered that I'd rather ride long distances on a less comfortable bike with lighter weight and more power.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #499
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,027
Got the perfect ride for you, then. KTM Duke 690. Depending on the year 65-70 HP and a dry wt of 327-330 lbs. Naked, basically a supermoto with a larger tank and a seat that isn't an MX board.

Total blast to ride and 55-60 mpg. And It isn't a comfortable bike for long trips. You'll never go to sleep on it, for sure. Find some twisties along the way and be totally blessed with the riding experience.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #500
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
FJR. I really liked it at first, but now I fear that I'll fall asleep when riding it. I've discovered that I'd rather ride long distances on a less comfortable bike with lighter weight and more power.
It's funny that you'd say that. I'm considering a "sport tourer," with the stipulation that it be outfitted for two-up. I keep remembering that in the 2010 sport tourer comparison in MCN, that the R1200GS pack mule bike (not officially in the test) was the testers' favorite.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #501
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
BMW K1200R

Wow I thought - this is going to be an awesome ride! BMW naked with +160bhp! Wow!

Then I actually rode it and found that the engine is powerful but very unrefined - there is a coarseness about it. Like if tar-sand was used to lubricated the engine. Neither does it sound anything special, it's stupidly powerful and that's about it.

And I found that while the chassi is rock solid stable at all times it's so un-precise and un-flickable that it more about following the corners than actually placing yourself in them and hitting apexes. The bike feels "wide" when you ride it - that's the best way I can describe it.

Overall the bike is very "un-playful" - it's slow turning, slow to flick and a very hard bike to wheelie on, above my skill level anyway. I think stoppies would be hard as well - would probably just push the front wheel.

So - yeah, it looked like it was going to be a hoot but once I got over the arm wrenching acceleration there wasn't a single thing I really liked about the bike.

At the end of the day I remembered having more fun riding 30 years old thumpers than this bike - not a very good outcome.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #502
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 512
R1200rt

hands down dullest bike i ever owned. I knew the motor would be uninspiring but i expected better handling and comfort and both were a major disappointment. obviously this bike has legions of fans so I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea. sold it after a few months.....no problem finding a buyer and it has great resale value which is a plus.
gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #503
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
Both of the Bullets that I rented felt like they were going to disintegrate when they got up to 60 m.p.h. They were fine for pottering along the back roads at 45.
Unless you're in BF India, why would you want one?
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #504
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
See my earlier post on page 2 or 3, replying to someone who was praising this thread as a useful precautionary tale to people looking to make a purchasing decision.... As expected it became an all-encompassing complaints box for bikes of all stripes...

I think all it does is scare new riders or potential owners from buying ANY bike.

Unfortunate but so typical of the interwebs...
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #505
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Vfr800 99

The bigest disapointment for me must be the VFR800. Its not a bad bike, but i think its hyped up to much.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #506
vellies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
BMW K1200R

Wow I thought - this is going to be an awesome ride! BMW naked with +160bhp! Wow!

Then I actually rode it and found that the engine is powerful but very unrefined - there is a coarseness about it. Like if tar-sand was used to lubricated the engine. Neither does it sound anything special, it's stupidly powerful and that's about it.

And I found that while the chassi is rock solid stable at all times it's so un-precise and un-flickable that it more about following the corners than actually placing yourself in them and hitting apexes. The bike feels "wide" when you ride it - that's the best way I can describe it.

Overall the bike is very "un-playful" - it's slow turning, slow to flick and a very hard bike to wheelie on, above my skill level anyway. I think stoppies would be hard as well - would probably just push the front wheel.

So - yeah, it looked like it was going to be a hoot but once I got over the arm wrenching acceleration there wasn't a single thing I really liked about the bike.

At the end of the day I remembered having more fun riding 30 years old thumpers than this bike - not a very good outcome.
Sounds to me like you need to buy a Speed Tripple
Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #507
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellies View Post
Sounds to me like you need to buy a Speed Tripple
Right you are - the speed triple is one of my favorite bikes! I love naked bikes in general and that triple engine is simply one of the most glorious examples of the internal combustion engine ever created.

Sadly though I'm a "one bike guy" so dual-sport all the way for me. Not that I'm complaining with a 990 Adv...
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #508
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
BMW K1200R

I had the exact same reaction... twice.

First time I was riding my S1 Buell Lightning and a friend offered me a go on his new K1200R. We were in a rural area on a nicely undulating two-lane with decent pavement. I couldn't get off that K1200R and back on my Buell fast enough. I really didn't care for it at all.

Second time was another guy with the exact same bike, but this time we're on a really gnarly two-lane road with excellent traction, lots of elevation changes, blind corners and etc (one of Ontario's finest riding roads, imho) and I'm on my GSPD airhead. Same reaction as the first try. Couldn't get back on my old tech BMW fast enough. Interestingly, the guy with the K1200 traded the bike on a brand new R1200GSA the following week.

Only place I imagine that bike might work well would be big four+ lane expressways and the like. But that'd just land you without a license in no time flat.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #509
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 277
FJR: Horribly uncomfortable for me. Actually never even rode it. Just sat on it and knew it was a no go.

K1600GTL: "Test rode" it for 3 weeks while my RT was in the shop. Not as good of wind protection as I would expect on a luxury tourer (worse than an RT). Left leg roasted. Build quality of a Geo Metro. High beam switch quit working after a rain storm.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #510
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,326
BMW R1200GS. I had an 1150GS and liked it a lot. I took a test ride on a 1200 and the extra power impressed me. I made the deal and but never really caught on to the bike.