Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #526
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,026
gryphon12, I realized the Duke and the SM are totally different models, but the way it handled equated similarly to the SM. Sat on a '13 Duke 690 and the seat on it felt really nice and comfortable.

I could live with the hard seat and wind, but the the way it MADE me have to ride, was it's down fall. This is my 2nd KLR, so I knew what I was getting from the start.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #527
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Sat on a '13 Duke 690 and the seat on it felt really nice and comfortable.
No way in hell you were sitting on a KTM then, maybe sitting next to one.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #528
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Ok, I get the SM-style - on pavement. And with regard to the seat, neither was great for me, but the 2012 was MUCH better than the 2010.

As for your inner hooligan, sorry, I just don't buy "the Duke MADE ME DO IT!" Although, KTM seems to be stealing some of the OMG! appeal from Italy lately.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #529
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Nope, it was a stock KTM seat. I believe they caught so much crap about the Duke, being a street bike, they had to make a major change. If my Duke had that seat, I would have considered keeping it...
Old 06-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #530
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,694
Seat is an easy fix.

As for hooliganism and Dukes, I have a SuperDuke, it makes me ride like a super hooligan

So, it's the bike's fault.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #531
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

I went in to the dealer because they had a Super Duke R used, that I really wanted, but we couldn't come to terms, so I got the 690 instead. Went back the next week but the SDR was already gone. My mistake. That bike I would have kept. Too late. Enjoy your SD, super hooligan.... tomp dd50
Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #532
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,070
For a long time I wanted an SV1000. For the money it's the best V Twin Sportbike there is! I found one with 1500 miles on it for 3 grand less than the guy paid for it BRAND NEW the year before so I jumped on it.
I always liked the funky semi-naked styling and LOVE the sound of the motor. Even with stock exhaust, the sound of the cams etc is cool.

I was VERY underwhelmed by the stock suspension (especially at 6'3", 230 lbs....), and the stock bolts are made out of some kind of cheese.
I bought a Kawasaki 636 shock off of ebay for $40 and that made a HUGE difference to the rear but then it magnified the limp fork.
The bike was a lot of fun, it sounded incredible, and it handled really well on VERY smooth roads. I even took it on a camping trip once to Big Sur and had an amazing weekend. Not quite the touring platform but it was good for a weekend worth of riding just to have a sport bike up in those canyons!

After a year or so, I just wasnt riding it anymore. It was clear to make the suspension better, I was going to have to do something with the fork........and it was uncomfortable, very unforgiving and it drank gas when you were really on it..... so I decided to get rid of it.
I sold it for what I paid for it originally. To this day I still miss it but I believe it would be much more at home at the track. In an ideal world, I would have one in the garage for track days or canyon days but dont much care for it in the city.
I replaced it with a Speed Triple which is much better for my height and weight.... plus THAT MOTOR

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #533
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,447
You liked the Speed so much, you built it its own underground parkade? Sweet ride.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #534
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
You liked the Speed so much, you built it its own underground parkade? Sweet ride.
Yeah, I've gotta have enough room for my bikes, right?

Quote:
Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #535
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Yeah, I've gotta have enough room for my bikes, right?

Just an off the wall question. Have you ever ridden a KTM Super Duke R, and if so, how does it compare to the S3? Almost bought an SDR, recently, but soon realized I would probably kill myself on it, and backed off the purchase.
Wish I hadn't...
Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #536
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Just an off the wall question. Have you ever ridden a KTM Super Duke R, and if so, how does it compare to the S3? Almost bought an SDR, recently, but soon realized I would probably kill myself on it, and backed off the purchase.
Wish I hadn't...
I have not ridden a Super Duke. closest thing to it was probably riding the Super Enduro which I liked but compared to the Speedy Triple, down on power for sure.
Ive never ridden anything like a Speed Triple..... they are intoxicating
Quote:
Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #537
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 300
I've got a couple I haven't missed.

1) DR 650. The vibrations where unbearable after about 20 minutes, as was the seat. The seat could be addressed, but I couldn't fix the vibrations so I sold it.

2) 2012 Triumph Tiger 800. Crap fuel economy. On off throttle. Stupid gearing. Top heavy and slow to turn in. Multiple trips to the dealer to fix stupid shit (gear shift indicator, repeated stalling) all in the first year of ownership. Expensive insurance as it was categorized as a sport bike. On the plus side, most comfortable stock seat I've had on a bike. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I bought that bike .
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #538
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad Nomad View Post
I've got a couple I haven't missed.

1) DR 650. The vibrations where unbearable after about 20 minutes, as was the seat. The seat could be addressed, but I couldn't fix the vibrations so I sold it.
You should try a KTM 640 - no other thumper would ever seem to vibrate again....I don't mind the vibration of the DR at all.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #539
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
No way in hell you were sitting on a KTM then, maybe sitting next to one.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #540
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Damn, I love the folks on the ADV site. Put a one up larger tooth CS sprocket on the KLR this evening,, and it feels like it should; like the factory should have done in the first place... tomp

BTW, that SV1K is a good looking bike. I had a DL1000, and it was a fabulous DS twin...