Jacket that takes a neck brace

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Dirt Doctor, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Dirt Doctor

Dirt Doctor Geographicallyembarrassed

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a jacket (not an enduro jacket) that will take a neck brace

Spent the day at the hospital getting scans on the neck after hitting a washout at speed on the 990 and getting serious whip lash .....wasn't all that fun

looked at the KLIM adventure jacket. anything else???
  2. Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not much.

There are two new Klim adventure jackets about to be released, an new version of the current one and a mesh kevlar one.

Motoport does one, similar money to the klim if not more?

Leatt is meant to be releasing one, I think you will find its more an enduro jacket though.

Am also keen to hear of any alternatives.
  3. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    Ktm rallye

As you noted there is plenty of "enduro" shell type jackets that work with a leatt. (i use acerbis desertika).

Another possibility is to look at the Atlas brand brace . I checked it out and its design will lend itself well to a adventure type jacket .. Ie it can be worn over .

Hope you heal well .
  4. mongrel uc

mongrel uc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the ktm jacket i have one that i wore when i rode over to tassie just after easter was cool enough across the nullabore and it done a good job keeping me warm dry in the rain and snow that i saw in tassie and it sits well with the leatt Just my 2 cents
  5. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for the same thing (the jacket not the whiplash), I've seen a few regular jackets with the neck enlarged and sewn back up, I'm going to attempt that soon. For now I'm just riding with my jacket (Atiko Desert) zipped up as far as it'll go with my neck brace.
  6. truk84

truk84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know it's not what you asked but could a hit air vest be of value if you can't find the right jacket? May not have been any use anyway (that is if you didn't separate from the bike)?

Hope you are on the mend though mate, it's not a nice injury :(
  7. grrant1058

grrant1058 Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer:
    An Omega neck brace is height adjustable and fits comfortably on top of a Rallycross jacket.
  8. senfiddy

senfiddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    Axo melbourne, scott 350 , troy balis all have the adventure jacket style cut with pockets and take a leatt , but they dont have built in armour or liners
  10. Nine90

Nine90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another one is the Alpinestars Venture. Marc Coma won the Dakar wearing one. Order from the US for a nice cheap price.
  11. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    I wear a Leatte brace over my jacket (BMW Rallye 3) works well for me, is comfortable and easy to remove...
    I know not what you asked, just adding to your options :D
  12. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:

Same, same, I wear a Leatte over the top of my Dri Rider. Just reversed the rear stay and slip it into the built in camel back slot.
  13. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    I'd like to think the brace saved my neck after being unceremoniously dumped at speed last year. :clap
    Didn't help my ankle one bit though! :D
  14. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an Adventure model Omegabrace that fits over my Tiger Angel jacket. I can adjust the height for those occasions when I also wear my body armour. Do I like wearing the brace? Not really, but I cannot afford another neck injury.

Once over 50 years of age the risk of central cord injury rises. This is the swelling inside the spinal cord cause by a sudden stop/whiplash and the bony space is not as wide as it is in a younger person. Many spinal injuries/ loss of motor function happen after this type of injury rather than severing the cord.

I am lucky. All I have after 12 months is hypersensivity over the pulse spots on my wrists! Was is scary? You bet!

All from a 50 kph fall in deep sand.
  15. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Leatt over Dririder, rally cross pro in my case. Works fine with camelbak too. :freaky
  16. Sol Erzenberg

Sol Erzenberg Lost somewhere

Oddometer:
    My 2011 KTM Rallye Jacket allows fitment of a neck brace..:thumb
  17. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    I have the KTM enduro light jacket , it's a good jacket for enduro stuff not much of and adventure jacket as it has too much ventilation , but the is a KtM enduro jacket with liners NB compatible not sure if it has removable sleeve like it little brother .

I also have the ktm adv jacket , excellent jacket but not NB comparable , some time I take the liner out and use in the enduro jacket ,

P.s. I never wear my NB but I have one :lol3
  18. Oz-Strom

Oz-Strom Still trying

Oddometer:
    I use the Alpinestars jacket that goes with their neck brace. Works well, but I prefer the Dririder adv jacket for ventilation in the warmer months, or just wear the brace and body armour and tshirt
  19. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    So here's a list

Axo
    Alpine star
    Acerbis
    Klim
    Ktm
    Kenney
    Troylee
    Honda
    Leatte
    Jt racing
    Fox
    Scott
    Spidi
    And the list goes on

So as you can see most if not all major brands have jackets now , its the Aussie importers that don't bring them in .
  20. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Leatt brace and have done the dririder thing, but imho it's still a compromise. I've also worn it outside other jackets, but it sits too high for me then. I now wear it with a pressure suit and my current jacket over the top and partially open, which is great in the heat, but not so good otherwise.

Have you bought a brace yet? If not, do you need a brace compatible jacket, or a brace that will work over a jacket? I'm looking at the Omega S1 at the moment, as it's designed to work over a jacket and it will probably cost the same a same as buying a jacket.

The Atlas looks possible and might be another alternative for this, but when I contacted PPS Moto they said it's really designed to be worn under armour as per other braces.