User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
to camp or not to camp?

As it is my first real XC Trip, and our goal is to do all of Canada Coast to Coast my question is, keep in mind leaving financial factors out. Is it worth to Camp out vs Hotel/motels and why?
turnitonagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitonagain View Post
As it is my first real XC Trip, and our goal is to do all of Canada Coast to Coast my question is, keep in mind leaving financial factors out. Is it worth to Camp out vs Hotel/motels and why?
I guess what I meant to say was..... bear in mind this trip will take us to some remote (not completely remote) parts of the country Ontario - NWT, I'm trying to figure out bearing in mind the physical toll of riding 8 -10 hours a day + the added work of setting up camp etc... VS. pulling into a hotel/motel and going from there. If I were to camp and I know it's not always possible I would be winging it, because I don't have pre-determined spots where I will stop to camp out. Essentially, I will ride till I get tired, and when I do I'd just set up camp. Remember, I'm a rookie and don't have many long distance adventures under my belt so I wouldn't be good at judging the when, the where, the who?

Another factor eating away at me is provisions/supplies especially for a journey of the size I want to take part in. should I get used to eating power bars, and meal replacement type deals? maybe beans out of a can, I'm not picky.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 826
Well, if you leave out financial considerations, then that makes it an easier question since it seems a lot of people generally camp just to save money. If you like camping, though, then it's different. When I go on a trip, I like to spend more time in a tent than in a hotel room.

That said, it is nice to get a hotel once every few days, or at least camp at a site that has showers.

Setting up camp doesn't have to take much longer than rolling into a hotel room. My tent takes only about 2-3 minutes to set up, then you just open the valve on the pad, and toss it in along with your sleeping bag. Then you're good to go. You can cook for yourself at camp (my preference, it gives you something to do until the sun goes down) or you can stop at a restaurant like you would for a hotel. (Of course, there might not be a restaurant nearby when you're camping) And you don't really have to carry days and days' worth of food, you can usually find a grocery store or something along your way and restock every day or every other day so you're not carrying so much.

Edit: On long trips, it's best to get into a routine of having wheels rolling early in the day, so that by the time you're tired and ready to set up camp, you still have enough daylight left to set up camp and settle in. Eventually you'll get into a routine that works for you.

SloMo228 screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 06:40 AM
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
BenZens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Personally on long trips across Canada I generally do a little of both. Some nights I will camp and others I hotel it. It all depends on a number of factors, first off is the weather. If I have been cold and wet for a couple days (sometimes even just one day) then I definitely make the effort to find a hotel. Get a hot shower and dry my gear. Its quite a sight to see all your gear spread out over a hotel room drying.

Also where you camp makes a difference. If you camp at a camp ground most times you have access to hot showers, porcelain toilets, fire pits, nice flat camp spots and sometimes even wi-fi. The bad thing at some of these commercial campgrounds is you have these huge RVs' running generators all night, camp sites that are nothing more than a gravel drive way (for the RVs'). There are campgrounds that are just for tents but sometimes they only have pit toilets and may not have showers.

Now I am one of those weirdos who doesn't always camp at camp sites and have been known to just make a lean too with a tarp from my bike and sleep in a sleeping bag next to it. The great thing about having your camping gear is, if you are out in the middle of nowhere you have your accommodations with you and can generally find a spot out of the way to camp. This might not always be a "legal" camping spot but most of the time you won't be hassled.

If you are planning on passing through Saskatchewan shoot me a message and perhaps we can meet up.

Ben
BenZens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 914
Just a thought, but if you are comfortable with it check out the tent space thread, sometimes its more than tent space and gets you a room and food. Otherwise, Id like the idea of both as well, a hotel option is always a nice treat if the weather turns real bad or you have had a trying day.
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitonagain View Post
Always carry your camping gear....you don't have take the kitchen sink, just enough to sack out for the night somewhere. There are masters of stealth cmping, who may chime in and offer some of their secret spots

Camping can get pricey in certain parts of the country...for example, Ontario Provincial parks are pushing close to $40.00 a night, whereas there are Mom and Pop Motels for $60 that include some form of free breakfast. Some private Camp Grounds are expensive, though their prices are driven by location.( KOA in Niagra Falls was $62.00 for a tent and no power)

Use Tim Hortons and MacDonalds free Wifi to book ahead......

(I carry bear bangers and BF Knife )
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 2010 HD Heritage Softail, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 2008 Yamaha BWS, 1973 Honda CT 90 Trail, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
isplat2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
When camping in bear country always park your bike facing the way "out".....Quick get-away.
isplat2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,909
I'm with BackRoader on this...I almost always get hotel rooms...by the time you factor it all in, the cost at the roadside hotels isn't that much different.

Also, they are easier to get to, and you have the convenience of a shower, place to dry out your stuff, etc. (and not having to store all that stuff on the bike)

Old Fart at Play, Backroader, and I have hauled camping gear all over the country...and often laughed about how it has been used maybe twice over the years!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
i am with slomo and others above....
take camping gear and do a nite here and there indoors too!
for moi, many times the highlights are the places i camp for the nite...i almost ALways free-lance except when i need a shower. the nature i experience is amazing along with the views and the feeling of being away from it all...

getting nice camping gear is a bit costly unless you can find some of it used. but after one trip you would have most of it paid for by saving on motels. and i dont cook....(i do at home but not on a trip)...buT, then i havent been secluded from humanity for an entire day on my motorbike trips so i dont need to bring pots and a steak.
all the best planning!
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)

edwin screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 07:22 AM
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,524
I'd do both and depending on how things went that day would determine where i slept. Most of my camping would be on crown land where id try and get a location close to water with some fishing and a fire. Hotels would likely only be every few days for a hot shower, or the weather turned bad, but I would budget for a hotel every night. Some healthy snacks, canned fish and some fruit is all I need to eat while camping.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

all very excellent and knowledgeable replies I must say. I now have a mental picture or outlay of what I require more or less for my trip cross country. for those of you who haven't seen my bazillion posts of route I am basically starting from Toronto and want to go all the way up the Dempster trail To Inuvik. I really don't plan on sticking to the route 100% I plan on some interesting detours that some of the other members pointed out to me.

I plan on taking a few small trips next spring to get me,myself and my passenger all comfortable with the Idea of a long distance journey.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 431
I love camping. Do it all year. If you are keen try a little weekend practice run and see how your gear and packing works out. I can set up my tent quicker than i can make our bed. That being said i have had years where i spent more nights in my tent than in my bed. If you have to buy gear get the best you can afford. The days of waking up wet since it rained over night is no excuse. The gear is top notch now so comfort, dryness etc should be no problem.
2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)
www.danieljenkins.ca
klondike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #13
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 1,901
Some where in the advrider web sit there is a tent space thread, that includes piles of people offering their yard for you to camp... So far I have never left anyone outside, i have fed everyone coming through the door.. and usually a few laughs with beer... Sounds like a little home work will get you near a free trip except for gas... if I find the thread i'll post it...

edit: ask google its says the thread is in trip planning.... d'oh!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 04:04 AM
shipwrek12001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #14
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike1 View Post
I love camping. Do it all year. If you are keen try a little weekend practice run and see how your gear and packing works out. I can set up my tent quicker than i can make our bed. That being said i have had years where i spent more nights in my tent than in my bed. If you have to buy gear get the best you can afford. The days of waking up wet since it rained over night is no excuse. The gear is top notch now so comfort, dryness etc should be no problem.
that's what I was thinking... I was thinking of doing a Tobermory Run next spring... I've yet to even purchase a bike yet!!! so many decisions ahhhhh!!! I went camping to Algonquin this year got rained on and was cold but all and all a fun experience!!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,322
Strangely enough, I find I am often on the road earlier when camping. I don't eat an elaborate breakfast, and when the sun hits the tent (hopefully) I am awake.

Staying in motels increases the urge to stop for breakfast, which can use up an additional 30 minutes to an hour in the morning. With today's modern butane stoves, you can pop a pot of water on for coffee or tea, whip up a little oatmeal or whatever you fancy, and have the gear packed in a fairly short time if you concentrate on developing a system to do so.

Many times, I will not cook dinner. I'll grab a sandwich (being careful not to get potentially hazardous things like mayo on it,) and perhaps heat a can of soup.

If you root out the little municipal campgrounds that seem to be common in various places in Canada, you're in for a treat. They are generally clean, have hot showers, and in my experience are nicely set up.

One of the real pleasures of doing a long trip is talking to the people who you meet. Folks are far more open and willing to converse at campgrounds. You can build a fire. I do stay at motels occasionally when I ride, but the experience is far richer when camping.

With careful shopping, you can get a fairly good camping setup for $400 or so. This time of year, there are some phenomenal sales on. While it may seem a chunk of change, it will last you many years with proper care.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote