User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Gerbings Insoles - Anyone Use them?

I'm thinking of buying a set of the Gerbings insoles. I have heated gloves and the rest of my gear keeps my body warm enough... But once it drops below freezing or so, my feet can only take about 45 minutes before they're cold enough that I've got to pull over to warm them up. I'm debating between getting heated socks or heated insoles. I'd much rather get the insoles for the convenience factor, though I'm sure the socks would keep me warmer.

Does anyone here have any experience with the insoles? Good? Bad?

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 793
I just got a pair and while I used them once haven't tried them in really cold weather.
In mid 40s I ran them on a low setting and my feet never felt cold. I have no doubt they'll be warm when the time comes (and it's coming soon).
I was a little concerned the wires would be annoying but they hook up easy and I never thought about them after I geared up.

I read that while walking in the socks you can feel the wires, that isn't an issue with the insoles.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
I have them and don't like them for a variety of reasons. I still use them because they are better than cold toes, but they are lacking in a number of respects:

1. The wire is on the wrong side. For some reason, Gerbings put the cord in the pants to the outside and the cord for the insole on the inside. That means the thick cord has to cross your foot or calf. With snug boots, it really sucks. I don't understand why they did this.

2. The insole is fairly thick so if your boot is properly snug without them, it will be very tight with them.

3. It only heats the bottom of your feet. The top of my toes do get cold.

When I got them, Gerbing has stopped making the socks. Shortly after buying them, they came back out with the socks and I wish I had them. If the cord in the pants were on the inside, I could live with the other problems but that really drives me nuts.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
I just got a pair and while I used them once haven't tried them in really cold weather.
In mid 40s I ran them on a low setting and my feet never felt cold. I have no doubt they'll be warm when the time comes (and it's coming soon).
I was a little concerned the wires would be annoying but they hook up easy and I never thought about them after I geared up.

I read that while walking in the socks you can feel the wires, that isn't an issue with the insoles.
Good to hear. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I have them and don't like them for a variety of reasons. I still use them because they are better than cold toes, but they are lacking in a number of respects:

1. The wire is on the wrong side. For some reason, Gerbings put the cord in the pants to the outside and the cord for the insole on the inside. That means the thick cord has to cross your foot or calf. With snug boots, it really sucks. I don't understand why they did this.

2. The insole is fairly thick so if your boot is properly snug without them, it will be very tight with them.

3. It only heats the bottom of your feet. The top of my toes do get cold.

When I got them, Gerbing has stopped making the socks. Shortly after buying them, they came back out with the socks and I wish I had them. If the cord in the pants were on the inside, I could live with the other problems but that really drives me nuts.
I don't have heated pants, so I'd have to snake the wires up through my overpants, so that issue isn't really a big deal to me... But that is quite bizarre that they wouldn't have thought of that.

How thick is the insole? I've read that elsewhere as well.

That was my biggest worry. It's the same reason I went with heated gloves over heated grips. Although I would have much rather had the more convenient heated grips, rather than the PITA of plugging wires in, I ultimately decided the wrap around heating of gloves was a better investment. I'm glad I made that decision. I feel like debating between insoles and socks is very similar.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
meatwitheyes
Bon Vivant

Oddometer: 1,631
I've not used the insoles so I have no input
But I did try the "Warm and Safe" electric socks once and they are first rate.

On another note the half a dozen times a year I need to heat my feet I just use the chemical toe warmers like the Grabber Toe Warmers or the Heatmax ToastiToes insole . They do an adequate job. I always carry a pair on my bike.

Linky:
http://www.rei.com/product/829213/gr...armers-3-pairs

The Taciturn Misanthropist... Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
All education is liberalizing
meatwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,417
have you tried neoprene socks or toe covers . . . . they'll complete halt the wind, and will provide some insulation as well . . . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
What about your boots? The cord for the socks will be above the level of your boot top and with the insole, it has to snake up to the top. If you have boots like the BMW All-Around, this isn't a big deal. If they are tight around your ankles, it is another matter. Also, do you leave your boots on to walk around much? If you change into walking shoes, the tightness and the cord are not a big deal.

Again, the insoles don't keep the top of my toes warm, but that's not all that bad. The problem for me is cord management and comfort.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwitheyes View Post
I've not used the insoles so I have no input
But I did try the "Warm and Safe" electric socks once and they are first rate.

On another note the half a dozen times a year I need to heat my feet I just use the chemical toe warmers like the Grabber Toe Warmers or the Heatmax ToastiToes insole . They do an adequate job. I always carry a pair on my bike.

Linky:
http://www.rei.com/product/829213/gr...armers-3-pairs

The chemical toe warmers would cost me more in the long run. I commute all winter five days a week (as long as the roads are clear of snow and ice, that is). It wouldn't take long for a heated insole/sock to pay for itself compared to chemical warmers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
have you tried neoprene socks or toe covers . . . . they'll complete halt the wind, and will provide some insulation as well . . . . . .
I actually just bought some nice Goretex boots that I had hoped would alleviate my cold toes problem I had with my old SMX-5s. They definitely help a lot, but even without the wind blowing in, my feet still get cold... It just takes a bit longer now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
What about your boots? The cord for the socks will be above the level of your boot top and with the insole, it has to snake up to the top. If you have boots like the BMW All-Around, this isn't a big deal. If they are tight around your ankles, it is another matter. Also, do you leave your boots on to walk around much? If you change into walking shoes, the tightness and the cord are not a big deal.

Again, the insoles don't keep the top of my toes warm, but that's not all that bad. The problem for me is cord management and comfort.
My boots are adjustable at the top, so I don't anticipate the cord being too much of a problem. I also change into shoes if I'm going to be doing any amount of walking around. Still, the cord management issue is something to keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
My 2-cents. I have both Warm-N-Safe socks and Gerbings insoles. (I bought the insoles only because I can't find the socks!). I was very happy with the socks, but you will need a heat-troller to avoid cooking your feet. I was worried that my toes would get cold with just the bottom-heat of the insoles, but they've been OK now. My coldest insole ride has only been 30F, so I can't comment yet on colder temps. I rode with the socks down to 17F and was OK.

The thickness of the insoles is a real issue. The front part of my feet get pinched in my BMW boots and walking is no longer comfortable. My wife noted that I even look taller with the insoles in.

If I find my socks (in a bag with my Warm-N-Safe heated pants!), I'll switch back immediately.
How thick are the insoles? I have a little bit of extra room on top to play with in my new boots, but this is still a concern. I haven't been able to find an adequate picture online to see how thick they are compared to a typical insole, nor have I found specs on how thick they are.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Armbar
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Max
I have the heated insoles and they are the best. Go with them over the socks.
Armbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
thickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
How thick are the insoles? I have a little bit of extra room on top to play with in my new boots, but this is still a concern. I haven't been able to find an adequate picture online to see how thick they are compared to a typical insole, nor have I found specs on how thick they are.
I believe mine are about 1/4" thick. They are thicker around the heel, but the overall "lift off the ground while wearing" factor looks to be 1/4"
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
ultrarnr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I have both the heated socks and the insoles. I have found the heated socks will definitly keep your feet warmer than the insoles. I don't care for how tall the socks are and wish they were a bit thicker but they are still much better than the insoles.
ultrarnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
twasp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Gerbings Insoles

I have the insoles. They work well to add heat to your feet, but only add a small amount and are best used with insulated boots. The cords are an extra step to run up your pants legs. I also have the socks but have not used them yet. I would expect that both used together would be best.
I do not find the insole thickness to be much more than a Dr Scolls work insole and they did not add much bulk or height to the boot for me. ymmv.
They are the differance between cold feet and feet that are not cold, although not neccesarily (sp?) toasty warm.
twasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 840
Deep thoughts on Gerbings......

After trying to "get by" with winter clothing--undergarments, jackets, pants, socks, gloves, etc., I bit the bullet and bought Gerbings Micro-wire gloves, jacket, pants AND socks.

It works.

It works like a dream.

It works sooo well, that it really has to be below 40 degrees to make it worth putting it all on.

If I need to ride in 40 degree temps or lower, I put the full Gerbings kit on.

I have the dual controller, and that is also the way to go.

Just buy the full kit and enjoy.

My .02

Cheers.

If it's over 50 degrees, the Gerbings is too hot.

This is on a V-Strom.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 910
The insoles work great inside of an insulated boot. I've ridden for hours in single-digit temperatures and never had cold feet.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll give the insoles a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
I believe mine are about 1/4" thick. They are thicker around the heel, but the overall "lift off the ground while wearing" factor looks to be 1/4"
Thanks. That doesn't sound too bad. I believe I comfortably have that space in my boot.