Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
jordan p OP
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 116
opinions- DRZ400 wide ratio gears or wr290r?

I am looking for another DS bike... I've had a DRZSM converted to S. I've also had an 08 wr250x with DS tires... I am now looking into another DRZ, but an S probably brand new with intentions of installing the ACT WR gears...which are expensive and involve removing the motor. I love the extra power of the DRZ so I am leaning towards this. However I was asking myself- "self, is it a better idea to get a WR and install big bore later, or get the DRZ and install gears later?" Both cost a good amount of money and involve a significant amount of work which I'd most likely be doing myself... can I get some opinions here? I don't think this is a typical DRZ vs WRR thread and I did search... if I have missed something please point me in the right direction... I love the DRZ for simplicity and reliablility and mmmm power. I love the WR for technology(kinda scary though) lighter feel, and it just looks the business. What say the group???????????
jordan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
jordan p OP
projects > time alloted

66 views, and no opinions? I have been on ADVrider for long enough to know this place is full of opinions!!! hahahaha... Kinda leaning towards DRZ more and more...
Old 11-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
my frank opinion? Search for a bike that already has either of these done.

There are plenty of high HP bikes with 6 speeds. Widen your search and spare yourself the cost prohibitive mods such as a big bore or transmission swap, seems like a ton of work when you could just buy it from a different manufacturer (ala ktm or WR450f or ...? ).
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Once you buy either the WRR or DRZ and then complete the mod's you suggest, you're starting to get into KTM price territory. Rather than try to turn a WRR or DRZ into something it isn't, I'd just get the KTM or similar and be done. That's just me though.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,886
I am with the others, above. I wouldn't spend a pile of money on an OK bike, when I could spend the same money and get an excellent one. Get one of these instead:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=neduro
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
get a plated E model drz [if you want a more powerful drz] and then gear it 15/44 or get one of those orange bikes... those are your best options.I have owned both bikes and would own them again but I would look at a HUSABERG maybe for next bike cause I like the color blue.
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
jordan p OP
projects > time alloted

The only reason I have hesitation going towards husky or KTM is maintenance and reliability man honestly. And coming up with all that money at once upon purchase is the other. I can buy the DRZ and do the gear change a year from now. or the wrr and do the big bore later... I wouldn't feel comfortable riding a ktm 500 down hwy 1 from san francisco to san diego ya know?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,145
I agree with everyone else.

I have a GSXR600, and I was doing a trackday at my local track, and a buddy of mine let me take his DRZSM for a session. I had a BLAST, instantly fell in love with SM's. But, the DRZ topped out on the back straight at about 95mph. I was getting passed like I was standing still, really fast guys can hit 150 plus on the back straight. I talked to him about it, and he's quite a bit smaller then I am (I'm 6'4" 230) and he was frustrated with the available power too and was talking about big bore kits etc.

I priced a DRZ, with a bore kit, and a few other things, and ended up going out and buying a bone stock KTM 625SMC. I've done a ton of trackdays on it, and it'll walk a lot of other SM's (I did a day at Barber with two friends on 450's, one a CRF, one a WR, and walked them both on the front straight, they promptly passed me in T2, but you can;t win them all).

My buddy ended up buying the big bore, blowing it up, rebuilding it, blowing it up again, and then getting a KTM.

Little different then your story, because I was looking for different things out of the DRZ, but similar enough to help make a point I hope.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,821
i find generally speaking that wide ratio trans are frustrating when getting in the trails. It always seems out of the powerband. I ride a WR250Rand would prefer a close ratio with a taller 6th.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
you never said anything about hwy travel -we thought around town or linking trail kind of bike..i hate thumpers for hwy use - i ride a litre bike for that..maybe you should get two bikes then [thats what i did] i might even get a third bike like a 250/300 two stroke for gnarly singletrack...is weight a problem for your choice? because a hwy dual sport is a heavy option....
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
high five is selling his wr290r.
he's got about $10K in the bike
he literally has done all the mods plus some so it's ready to roll.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=31557
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
nrspence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Ya get a KTM or go with a reliable bike like a WR450 and gear it the way you want it.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan p View Post
The only reason I have hesitation going towards husky or KTM is maintenance and reliability man honestly.
The extent of modifications you discuss would compromise reliability also. Many would argue against it, but opening the cases of either to that level is going to compromise reliability versus a bone stock drz or wrr.

Quote:
. I wouldn't feel comfortable riding a ktm 500 down hwy 1 from san francisco to san diego ya know?
psst... you wont feel that way on either of those bikes or most plated dirt bikes
Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
jordan p OP
projects > time alloted

I saved the "which type of dual sport" for other threads. My question was regarding the 2 bikes stated, and anyone who has done the big bore on the wr, as the gearing is good, or the gearing on the DRZ because the power is already adequate for me. What the DRZ lacks for my riding is wider ratio trans, and what the wr lacks for me is down right power and torque.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
jordan p OP
projects > time alloted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
The extent of modifications you discuss would compromise reliability also. Many would argue against it, but opening the cases of either to that level is going to compromise reliability versus a bone stock drz or wrr.

psst... you wont feel that way on either of those bikes or most plated dirt bikes
these are good points... comfortable is a relative term :)

I would have had no problem slapping my 38 tooth rear on the DRZ and heading south for 500 miles, and similarly with stock gearing on the WRX. A KTM or husky (unless a 610) not so much...

If I could find a nice used te610 I'd throw the other two out, but they just are not available in my area.