User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
jocce OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Subframe

Does anyone know what is the difference between SWB and LWB subframe?
I have -72 SWB frame and want a little shorter subframe to make a cafe´style seat
but keep the opportunity to give the blonds a ride

Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,411
You have the short one. The LWB is about 2" longer. Cut it if you need it to be shorter.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
jocce OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
You have the short one. The LWB is about 2" longer. Cut it if you need it to be shorter.

Ok they seem hard to find used, do you know any firm making shorter subframes, so i don't have to cut the oem one ?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,955
Never heard of anybody who makes what you want. You will have to make it yourself. If you make the sub frame shorter you will also possibly move the upper shock mount which could have undesirable effects. The rear fender will have to be mounted somehow, or maybe you just plan the throw it away?

Look at some other custom made bikes here on Adventure Rider. There are tons of these things with smaller single seats. I think you might get an idea of what is possible from what has been done by others.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,334
The LWB subframe is longer behind the cross member(s) and the shock mounts are further back too. The tabs for the /5 chrome battery covers are smaller and different location than for the later fiberglass ones. '73 LWB subframes are unique in that they have two parallel crossover tubes and take the shorter toolbox. '74 on LWB have a stamped steel plate for the crossover and take the longer toolbox.
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocce View Post
Ok they seem hard to find used, do you know any firm making shorter subframes, so i don't have to cut the oem one ?
I modify them here in the USA, but you are far away.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
jocce OP
Adventurer

Thanks all, i guess i just chop the one i got
Ore do you think this is an option ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VONZETI-BM...-/251102831160

and then maybe this seat

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Flatty-Ca...tegory=1440699
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
That sub frame looks pretty good and would address your issue. As for the seat you might want to look at the seat that is meant to go on that style of sub frame. You should be able to find some combo pictures.

Me I'm a little cheaper, and like to mess around so this is what I'm doing.

I'm currently putting together a 1971 R50 SWB with the complete drive train from an R75/6. I've kept the stock SWB sub frame and the first generation SWB seat. The early SWB seats where smaller and a different shape than the later slash 5 seats. The early seat had 2 grab rails on the sides, instead of the big wrap around bar on the later models, and the seat itself is smaller with a more rounded shape.

On mine I just wanted to clean up the front end a bit and get rid of the rear portion of the stock fender that goes down below the tail light. The rest I'll keep fairly stock. I'm using a R90 front fender, and I picked up an extra rear fender that I cut down at the rear and then have built a plate that goes up under the rear portion to help support the stock taillight ( using it so far, unless I find something better looking ) and the license plate holder. I'll also incorporate the signal lights into this mount set up as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
jocce OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
That sub frame looks pretty good and would address your issue. As for the seat you might want to look at the seat that is meant to go on that style of sub frame. You should be able to find some combo pictures.

Me I'm a little cheaper, and like to mess around so this is what I'm doing.

I'm currently putting together a 1971 R50 SWB with the complete drive train from an R75/6. I've kept the stock SWB sub frame and the first generation SWB seat. The early SWB seats where smaller and a different shape than the later slash 5 seats. The early seat had 2 grab rails on the sides, instead of the big wrap around bar on the later models, and the seat itself is smaller with a more rounded shape.

On mine I just wanted to clean up the front end a bit and get rid of the rear portion of the stock fender that goes down below the tail light. The rest I'll keep fairly stock. I'm using a R90 front fender, and I picked up an extra rear fender that I cut down at the rear and then have built a plate that goes up under the rear portion to help support the stock taillight ( using it so far, unless I find something better looking ) and the license plate holder. I'll also incorporate the signal lights into this mount set up as well.
Cycleman i might go your route, i got rid of the rear fender today and moved the light assembly up
on the subframe, and made a fast photoshop test of how a seat could look.

looks like this

Also thinking of a very short rear fender to put the license plate on, and a ultra short front fender