User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Meico640 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 264
DRZ400E or WR450F or Keep my 640ADV

Here's the thing, I have had my 640ADV for about 3 yrs & done almost 20,000kms wholly on the dirt in WA where the roads are long flat, fast & very Sandy. Also they are generally very dry due to the drought for the last 4 yrs.

So here I am now in sunny Brissy where the roads are tight, slow & very hilly, not to mention very muddy & wet...(well the bits I've seen, so far)

So is it worth keeping a long distance ADV bike which is wonderful when going fast but hates slow, mud & hills..& is pretty heavy.? like the rest of us I never have enough time to do the long rides, (2 kids, one on the way, need I say more)so is it worth hanging on to a bike that I can only really use once or twice a year..?

My thoughts are the DRZ or the WR450, only a $1,000 diff in the price probs..

Any Thoughts ?

Just wondering how many people have bikes in the shed that don't get ridden enough ? Other than me !!
Meico640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
The DRZ is good from what I've heard.

Met a bloke recently when I was on a ride who absolutely loved his.
He'd done a sprocket change that let him cruise at 110kph on the highway but still left first gear low enough for most single track work.

Lots of after market stuff available as well, including racks and long range fuel tank.

So far I haven't met an unhappy DRZ owner, big following on the forum here as well.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,937
Well, funny you ask. I have a DRZ and a DR 650. I've come to the realisation that the 650 is not your arse or your elbow (and I know your KTM is class above a DR 650). The DR is heavy in the tight stuff but still won't run with the big bore bikes on long distance rides, it does neither task particularly well. The suspension needs upgrading on the DR plus I was going to lace up an 18" rim to the back for better tyre choice. So rather than spend another $1,500 to $2,000 on it and have 2 regos and 2 insurances I've decided to sell the DR and invest some more money into the DRZ so I can convert it into a bit more of an adventure bike when needed. I just got another set of wheels off ebay, one set will have low gearing and mousse tubes for the snotty stuff and the other set will have tubes, less aggressive dirt tyres and taller gearing for the longer miles, big tank (already got a 17 lt but might buy a 28 lt) and some Giant Loop luggage, a few hours in the shed and the DRZ can be turned from a single track bike to a longer distance bike. The WR will be much better in the single track but not much for longer distance.

Sorry but my long winded point is the DRZ while not an ideal enduro bike or adventure bike it will do both jobs reasonably well. I know the argument is the DRZ won't run with the big KTM's or Beema's but my logic is where we ride I don't want to hit a roo at 140 plus and the plod don't like it much either.

A lot of blokes can ride them big bikes like a 250 in the snotty stuff but there is also a lot of carnage out there from people trying to punt big heavy bikes where they'd be better off on a 400 / 450.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,294
If you are selling the 640 really, really cheap (to me, personally) then I'd say either alternate choice would be great - really.
If you are not selling it really really cheap (to me, personally) I'd say keep it. I have 5 bikes, only 1 registered at a time. I came to the conclusion long ago that I would always regret selling a bike I loved to fund the next one, so I just keep them now.
The 640 Adv is a great dirtbike, the only caveat being that it is a long way to the ground from the seat. Just buy a bike for fire trails and the like, a cheap registerable enduro-style bike around the 250 to 400 mark. It's not as if Qld. solo rego is a burden, eh?
Remember, once it's gone you will likely never get another, and they are indeed unique among late-model dirtbikes, and oh-so capable.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,486
I have a 2009 WR with a safari tank on the front and the rear , low slung Barrett exhaust system and a cush drive rear hub and a different gearing setup ( 15 - 47 Adv 13 - 50 enduro / trail riding ) .

I use it for both .

It takes about 2 hrs in the shed to change from Adv to enduro set up and about 2 1/2 hrs to fit up all the Adv bits to the bike .

I completed a 3 day 1200 km ride this last weekend over the GDR to the Western slopes and back and it was a weapon on everything but the tar transports , the only real issue on the tar is the comfort . The seat is minimalist and I don't have a screen on mine so the wind blast can get tiring if you do long stints on tar which I tend to avoid if possible . Another WR was on the same ride and Lindsay has a screen and Modified seat on his and said it was OK comfort wise .

Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Meico640 OP
Banned

Lots to think about, I know I would regret selling the 640 but...

Something lighter would be nice, as I'm getting to old to pick the bloody thing up, so I now just go a bit slower & that seems to help with the drop ratio
Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,957
Those 640s make ripper rough-road bikes. I had a SM, tweaked up a bit (once I'd fixed the leaky base gasket curse), and the suspension soaked up everything, took the lot with ease.
I still live in Westoz, bumpy single-lane bitumen and corrugated gravel a few hours north of Perth, a DRZ out here is breathless standard. It would need $1000 of suspension, $500 on brakes, and $1500 on the motor just to allow it to keep up.........maybe.........just.

They're different bikes completely. I rekn keep the ADV for when you get the chance to do some long-hauling heading West, but get another cheapy smaller bike to chuck around locally, DRZ, WRF, a 2nd-hand smaller Kaboom perhaps?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
PBee

Oddometer: 8,379
Well... I'm Biased. I have a DRZ400e & love it.

All the DRZ needs is the suspension done & you're good to go, bulletproof & fast enough.

My DrZ

& in combination with the 990, all bases are covered

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,835
keep the 640 and buy a bald knob bushmaster

Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,360
good advice to date

I think you have to clarify what type of riding you will be doing in the future before you change bikes.

If you are doing only snotty single track, you should buy my WRF290. Even a 450 can be a handful in these conditions! Would I ride the WRF290 on a long adventure ride: nope! Love theYamaha to death but I have a DRZ400 for that style of riding.

If you are not sure that you won't be tempted to go adventure riding as well as some single trail trail riding, then I would consider either a WR250R or a DRZ400.

The DRZ400 is cheap( $7400) compared to the WR250R ( ? price about $10K) to purchase.

Neither bike is perfect off the showroom floor for adventure riding. Both need a bigger tank and possibly stronger springs unless you weight 65Kg.

Kipo is pointing out that the DRZ400 gearbox is a close ratio box. You can either change sprockets/or wheels; say 13-15 T front and have either 44- 47 rear and live with the compromise of either having a low first and fifth, or a high first and fifth.

There are wide ratio gearbox cogs available (either Nova from UK or ACT from USA) which leave first near standard and space second to fourth wider and fifth is overdrive. One of the attractions of the DRZ400 is that everyone modifies them as much or a little as they want. After doing this mod there is no difference in price between the Yam250R and DRZ400, but you get a 400 motor.

I have a mate who is 90Kg who loves his WR250R. Worth a look.
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Meico640 OP
Banned

It's more to do with the terrain around here & the fact that the runs I seem to be doing here are just half days & the odd full. Over in WA we mostly seemed to do overnight with camping involved.
Also the tracks here in QLD are much tighter & seeing my 640 getting all hot n bothered by my crap slow riding is sad.

Also did I mention I'm unemployed again lol

Also having $5,000 sitting in the garage is prob better than $9,000

I did do 5 days riding with Roy Kunda up in Cairns on the DR was great, seemed to do all I wanted
Old 11-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,112
Meico i do the same kind of riding .

sometime half days, full days, sometimes trailer and just do 1/2 day rough stuff in glasshouse.

owned the drz and loved it except on long days tar sections.

i have a te610 and it does all the above very well for me.. (better then drz) - te just needs a few things sorted/ keeping an eye on ( cush hub washers / ditch stock chain / torque drive nut)

wr250r i reckon is a worth a look for sure.. see big dog in usa went drz - te610 wr250r and he reckon wr250r is his fav

phils bushmaster video has me craving special fried rice
Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Question How many bikes are enough?

Meico,

I am facing the same dilemma.

I have an XT660R, great bike, bit heavy on tighter stuff. Not particularly crash-worthy (from first-hand experience).

It weighs about 170kg, it's a handful in anything tight/wet/loose. However, it holds 2.9L of oil, I only do filter & oil changes every 5000km. It's got a comfy fat-arse seat for my middle aged fat arse. It goes 160km/h plus on knobs & it's a fun cheap commute.

Along comes Christmas bonus.

Yamaha are having a sale on WR250R at the moment ($9000) which would make a good light ADV bike.

I have ridden with a mate on his DRZ400. He was shagged after one big day, I felt pretty good. I let him ride the XT, and he came back with a big smile on his face, comfort didn't compare he said.

I'm currently thinking KTM 250EXC-F as a fun, light toy for day rides. There are a few on Gumtree & BikePoint for around $5000.

At that price and with single seat rego, I could justify keeping both.

Are the little katos OK or would a WR250F be a better bet?

Cheers
Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
Black.Beard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hi,
I have like others been down the all purpose bike route. I have a DRZ that i use mostly for trail riding in the Vic alps doing 1-3 day trips but have also set it up to do bigger trips.I trail ride with others on wr450,ktm 450ktm 250 etc and have always gone where they go,sometimes the drz is a bit harder work due to the weight, but I am usually mid pack.
I have a 17l safari that I use all the time (just dont fill it when trail riding) and made my own saddlebag racks and screen that I use on longer trips.I also fitted a seat conceps foam seat and cover. Really comforatble
I find with simply changing the gearing the DRZ can cover most bases. I run 14-44 in the hills which has allowed me to get up all the steepest alpine tracks (abeit with some clutch abuse occassionally) and when on longer trips I run 15-44 (ie just a simple change of front sprocket) and it runs nice fully loaded at 100-105 kph. Can do more but sounds a bit busy
We have just done a run to innaminka, birdsville with all camping gear etc, covered 5200km in 2 weeks with 2 of us on DRZ's and they didnt miss a beat. If I was going to do it again I would probably use 15-41 gearing as on some of the bitumen transports it was a bit tedious, but on the dirt it was great.Ran it out into the simpson and it was great in the sand

I have done similar trips on tenere/klr/dr/moto guzzi and I find the drz best on the dirt. The lower weight and dirt bike feel make the long outback dirt sections a real hoot. Not always battling the weight of a bigger bike.
My Drz has now done almost 20,000 kms and only required regular maintenance , I fitted a new cam chain and replaced 2 shims at 13000 kms before the birdsville trip and it used maybe 75 mill of oil in 5200 kms. Considering most of its life has been full on trail riding I am happy with that.
Black.Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #15
Gobby
Trust Me!

Oddometer: 404
Thumb DRZ400e

You have seen my DRZ400e - and it suits my riding perfectly

So my advice - get a DRZ400e, it loves the tight stuff, can be geared for the long fast stuff, and loaded makes for a great ADV bike.

What else is there to say........!

Lets Ride
Gobby is offline   Reply With Quote