Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #136
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Just for perspective on those prices, what was a good wage back then, $1/hr ?
USA Median for men in 1956 was $3,600/yr... What is that, a buck-eighty an hour?

http://www2.census.gov/prod2/popscan/p60-025.pdf
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #137
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Another thing that I will NOT do is try on gear or take the time of parts guys or other sales staff to have them educate me on an item, knowing I will then buy it online. I feel that is a terribly selfish practice. If I know my purchase will be online, I simply do not go to the dealer.
Same here, except I prefer to try on clothing before I buy. So, most of my gear comes from a local dealer. I get about 50/50 of my other stuff locally and online. Sometimes it's more convenience than price.
There's a shop a couple blocks from my house, owned and run by a great guy. I pay a little more than I could elsewhere to keep him in business.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #138
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Just for perspective on those prices, what was a good wage back then, $1/hr ?
The cheapest Chevy Bel Air in 1956 cost $2,025. So for half the price of a car you could get a motorcycle.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #139
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
I bought my bike, jacket and all maintence items from them since i've owned it. I tried to get my first helmet there but it was back ordered so went online and get the next model up for 50 buck less they they wanted for the other. I buy my gear online, i dont walk into a dealer to test fit and buy online, because dont feel thats right.

That all said i got my rear tire done there, i took just the wheel in and for the road pilot 2 dismount/mount and balance it was 240 which doing some research it seems high. My front tire is now getting wore out so not sure if i'll take it there are buy online and find someone.
1greenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #140
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
I bought my bike, jacket and all maintence items from them since i've owned it. I tried to get my first helmet there but it was back ordered so went online and get the next model up for 50 buck less they they wanted for the other. I buy my gear online, i dont walk into a dealer to test fit and buy online, because dont feel thats right.

That all said i got my rear tire done there, i took just the wheel in and for the road pilot 2 dismount/mount and balance it was 240 which doing some research it seems high. My front tire is now getting wore out so not sure if i'll take it there are buy online and find someone.
I buy my dual sport tires online and spoon them on myself. I buy my race tires trackside and the vendor mounts them on the spot. I've never found a shop that I feel comfortable buying online and having them mount and balance for a fee. The shops I deal with are smaller specialty shops for the most part, so If I need their mounting services, I am compelled to pay up for their tires too.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #141
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I buy my dual sport tires online and spoon them on myself. I buy my race tires trackside and the vendor mounts them on the spot. I've never found a shop that I feel comfortable buying online and having them mount and balance for a fee. The shops I deal with are smaller specialty shops for the most part, so If I need their mounting services, I am compelled to pay up for their tires too.
Yeah theres a small independant shop kinda near me i might check out, i'd feel like a douche walking in with a tire for them to mount, also they have seen issues of tires bought online that wouldn't balance out. I guess i just gotta shop around local and see whats best.

I would like to this spring get my girlfriend a jacket and helmet that we'll have to buy at a dealer to make sure it fits right, it sucks knowing i could save money going online so i guess if its where they have to order it in then i'll just buy it online since we'll be guessing/waiting either way.
1greenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #142
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Yeah theres a small independant shop kinda near me i might check out, i'd feel like a douche walking in with a tire for them to mount, also they have seen issues of tires bought online that wouldn't balance out. I guess i just gotta shop around local and see whats best.

I would like to this spring get my girlfriend a jacket and helmet that we'll have to buy at a dealer to make sure it fits right, it sucks knowing i could save money going online so i guess if its where they have to order it in then i'll just buy it online since we'll be guessing/waiting either way.
For the helmet you want to make sure it fits right, so no harm trying different helmets on and buying accordingly. For the jacket and other protective stuff, just go to the manufacturer's website and find their sizing guide. Then measure her correctly and you should know what size to order.

Definitely check the selection and prices with the local guy first though on that stuff. If they are close in price compared to online, then might as well buy it all locally and save on shipping.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #143
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,948
Quote:
I have a different view on that. If they stock the gear (at least the brand) I don't have a problem trying it on and then deciding where to buy it. I'd say it's 50/50 online or local. On the other hand, I know I am a euro 43 boot, large jacket and 36-38 waist pant. The type product I buy has a big range for error. In other words, the stuff is pretty loose. I have bought things sight unseen and never had anything that didn't work.

On the NEXT other hand, I am looking to buy my last suit. I think it will be Klim. I want it to fit well, since the money is so big.

Not sure the solution, but given the total expense, I might pay shipping for a couple sizes if I can't find local.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #144
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I have a different view on that. If they stock the gear (at least the brand) I don't have a problem trying it on and then deciding where to buy it. I'd say it's 50/50 online or local. .
Sorry to hear that. As is your local dealer. Maybe they could charge you rental while you try things on?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #145
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Same here, except I prefer to try on clothing before I buy. So, most of my gear comes from a local dealer. I get about 50/50 of my other stuff locally and online. Sometimes it's more convenience than price.
There's a shop a couple blocks from my house, owned and run by a great guy. I pay a little more than I could elsewhere to keep him in business.

1911fan
Agree... If I am working with a brick and mortar shop, I never expect them to beat or even meet mail-order. If they are not too much higher, I'll buy. Got a local shop and some of the consumables are 60-100% higher than mail-order. I can't justify that. On the other hand, I've purchased several helmets from them, and other things.

Again, I will NOT go to a dealer with the express purpose of sizing stuff that I know I plan to buy online. That's a douche move and I applaud others that feel the same way.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #146
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Ask the local shop if they price match. Mine does.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #147
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Agree... If I am working with a brick and mortar shop, I never expect them to beat or even meet mail-order. If they are not too much higher, I'll buy. Got a local shop and some of the consumables are 60-100% higher than mail-order. I can't justify that. On the other hand, I've purchased several helmets from them, and other things.

Again, I will NOT go to a dealer with the express purpose of sizing stuff that I know I plan to buy online. That's a douche move and I applaud others that feel the same way.

Barry

It helps when the dealership has knowledgeable staff to assist you. They do not come free. If you listen to them and they listen to you in the end it can save you a substantial amount of coin by making better purchases even if they are not the lowest price on everything.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #148
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It helps when the dealership has knowledgeable staff to assist you. They do not come free. If you listen to them and they listen to you in the end it can save you a substantial amount of coin by making better purchases even if they are not the lowest price on everything.
This x1000
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #149
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I went to a local dealer looking for a pair of gloves. I rode in on my bike. I spent 20+ minutes looking at the various gloves they had and found a pair I like, but in a color I didn't like. I then saw the then new Arai XD4 and tried several different sizes on. I spent another 20 minutes looking at, and trying on helmets. Not once did any staff contact me.

I went back to the same shop a week later (I'm a slow learner) and again tried on gloves and helmets. Again, I was never contacted by any staff. I would have bought both if someone would have helped me and been able to get fairly close to online pricing. I ended up buying both online shortly after my second visit.

I also looked at a few bikes while I was there both times, and the bike sales guys were all over me. However, their pricing was outrageous, especially on the used bikes. How they stay in business, I don't know.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #150
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 577
We bought a new Toyota yesterday.
Went to the dealership to look at a used 2010 Rav4 & a used 2010 Forrester that they had on the lot. Rav4 had a deposit put on it about 10 minutes before we got there, and we weren't impressed with the Subaru.
We were prepared to move on to our next shopping location when the salesman said "You know, its end of year, we have a lot of rebates and good financing available, I bet I can make a deal on a new one that is at least as good as what you were going to pay for this two year old one. I know its not what you were looking for, but if I can't do it I'm more than happy to wish you luck in your search."
Up to this point, he had been nice, informative, honest, competent, and seemingly genuine. So I gave him a shot at it.

They ended up printing up the invoice sheets for the car we wanted, gave us an extremely fair trade value, worked in some extra rebates and got us great financing. We are paying less for a brand new car (11 miles when we drove it off the lot) than were expecting for a 2 year old with 23k miles. There were no back and forth games, they came out with "These are our numbers, here is what we can give you in trade (first offer was very good, more than we expected or that any of the online tools led us to believe was possible), and here is the rest of what we can do for you.

I went out to buy a used car, he sold me a new one, all because he was honest, genuine, and informative without feeling like we were entering a combat zone. AND when its time to replace my GLI, I'm already pretty sold on a Tacoma Prerunner. Guess where I'm spending my money? He sold more than one car yesterday.
Nytelyte is online now   Reply With Quote