User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
dan-o OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
/5 starter motor

I am putting a 1970 R50/5 back together. (off the road since 1985 with 20K actual miles) Had everything hooked up and the starter seemed to work well. Yesterday I hit the starter and just a chatter from the solenoid. I pulled the cover and jumped straight to the starter, and it would not turn over. I removed the starter from the bike and jumped it. The motor turns very slow and stops. I took it all apart checked the brushes and lubed everything. I could not see anything wrong. On the bench it still turns very slowly, with no torque. The motor gets hot, It should jump out of my hands shouldn't it? Before I spring for a new one, What am I missing?
Thanks
dan
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
I am putting a 1970 R50/5 back together. (off the road since 1985 with 20K actual miles) Had everything hooked up and the starter seemed to work well. Yesterday I hit the starter and just a chatter from the solenoid. I pulled the cover and jumped straight to the starter, and it would not turn over. I removed the starter from the bike and jumped it. The motor turns very slow and stops. I took it all apart checked the brushes and lubed everything. I could not see anything wrong. On the bench it still turns very slowly, with no torque. The motor gets hot, It should jump out of my hands shouldn't it? Before I spring for a new one, What am I missing?
Thanks
dan
Seems something it trashed in it. Take it apart, and check it again. Make sure everything is there.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,334
Sounds like a shorted winding some where. Probably in one of the field coils. But This is a guess. I don't know how to test for this. You could look for a short to ground and check the resistance of the fields but as far as interpreting any findings you're on your own.

Pay your debt, privatejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
dan-o OP
Adventurer

with the amount of resistance (heat) that seems to be the answer. I don't know how I would fix that either.
thanks for the replys
dan
Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I've done cars and bikes for some years. A starter like you now have I would consider a parts item. Every once in a while I have two broken things that are the same but have different broken parts. This is great, it's the moment that all us junk collectors live for. I get to make one good one from two broken ones. I once made a starter for a 1972 Merc from three starters.

Other than saving it for the next twenty years or so so you can use these parts I don't know what else to suggest.

There are rebuilt and new starters available. In Airhead lingo what you need is an 8 tooth starter. You have a /5 but can use any Bosch starter from 1970 thru 1976. All these are the 8 tooth. In 1977 the starters went to 9 tooth and they fit a different flywheel.

I recently waited on Ebay for only a month to get a decent 8 tooth starter. A lot of dealers are asking $50 or more plus shipping but I got one for less than $30 including the shipping by just being patient.

I think there is a rebuilt or new item for just over a hundred dollars but I couldn't find it. I did find some Valeo replacements for just under $300 and the Nippondenso at Benchmark Works for $350. I'll keep looking. Maybe somebody else knows where the cheaper one is.

Pay your debt, privatejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Aha, I found it. The Enduralast starter from Euro Motoelectrics, EME, is $165 with a one year warranty. The Valeo with a two year warranty is $265. Both are 8 tooth. Reputable company. I guess shipping is a bit more but I didn't go any further.

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Sta.../bmw-str1m.htm

BTW. The Valeo had a bad rep some years ago because of faulty glue used in manufacturing. This is not a problem with today's Valeo starters. However I think the Enduralast starter for a hundred dollars less money is a better deal anyway.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I've done cars and bikes for some years. A starter like you now have I would consider a parts item. Every once in a while I have two broken things that are the same but have different broken parts. This is great, it's the moment that all us junk collectors live for. I get to make one good one from two broken ones. I once made a starter for a 1972 Merc from three starters.

Other than saving it for the next twenty years or so so you can use these parts I don't know what else to suggest.

There are rebuilt and new starters available. In Airhead lingo what you need is an 8 tooth starter. You have a /5 but can use any Bosch starter from 1970 thru 1976. All these are the 8 tooth. In 1977 the starters went to 9 tooth and they fit a different flywheel.

I recently waited on Ebay for only a month to get a decent 8 tooth starter. A lot of dealers are asking $50 or more plus shipping but I got one for less than $30 including the shipping by just being patient.

I think there is a rebuilt or new item for just over a hundred dollars but I couldn't find it. I did find some Valeo replacements for just under $300 and the Nippondenso at Benchmark Works for $350. I'll keep looking. Maybe somebody else knows where the cheaper one is.

Yeah. The EME Enduralast works well for a lot less money. The 8 tooth pinions are unobtainium. I gave up on rebuilding mine because I couldn't replace the pinion.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 765
dan-o
I have a couple of 8 tooth starters and I think both are good. If so, you can have one for a song. That's assuming you want to go the cheap, used route. If you're so inclined, let me know and I'll test them tomorrow eve.
Joe
Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #9
dan-o OP
Adventurer

hey Joe. Sounds like a plan. This was suppose to be my budget bike! PM me with the details . thanks
Old 11-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #10
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 765
I'll check them both tonight when I get home from the salt mine.

In the meantime, start thinking about what you will be singing for all of us.