User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
Tourbus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
AutoLube

Don't known if the DT400 oil injection system is the same as a early DT1-250.

On early 250's the oil control cable pulls the valve open. So a broken cable closes off oil supply. Bought one cheap with a seized engine from this happening. Prolly a good idea to check the cable once in a while.

Butch
Tourbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #17
Bugsy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbus View Post
Don't known if the DT400 oil injection system is the same as a early DT1-250.

On early 250's the oil control cable pulls the valve open. So a broken cable closes off oil supply. Bought one cheap with a seized engine from this happening. Prolly a good idea to check the cable once in a while.

Butch
Butch,
I had one of those old 250's for a while in high school. That exact thing happened to this one but we caught it in time and just pre-mixed it from there. Good running little bike though! I'm going to go through this thing top to bottom before I start riding it much. I'd like to take it on some longer runs and ride it as much as I can throughout the year. It's survived all of these years and I don't want to be the one to fry it!!
Bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,474
Cable break could happen anytime. Just remember to look back and do a 'smoke check' once in a while.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Dont get anybetter than the old DT400, Think I am about 8000 miles of TAT, CDR and Shadow of the Rockies playing and them some here in OK. Still my favorite mountian/woods ride...

Nice find.....

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
Bugsy OP
Adventurer

Welll...I finally got around to going through the DT. New battery, plug, clean carburetor, change lube and cleaned the gas tank and air filter. I also purged the oil tank and made sure the pump was pumping and aired the tires. 2 kicks and she fired off!! This is the first time in several years that it's ran and I was pretty stoked! It has good compression and spark so i figured she'd fire. I rolled out slow and did a brake and clutch check. It all seemed OK so I made a short trip around the block! It runs like new...so far). There's a lot more that I'm going to do before heading too far from home but so far, so good. The tach and speedo seem to function and I did lube them up as well.

I'll post some pics when I get it out somewhere that's a bit more exciting than the alley!!!

Thanks to all who gave me advice and info on these old dudes. "Vance..."Vinnie the Snake", thanks a million!! Maybe I'll see you on the TAT or just down in your neck of the woods before too long. a buddy of mine and I are discussing a little Vintage enduro roadtrip.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #21
Bugsy OP
Adventurer

So...I've been able to get some good time in on the Dt this past weekend. Rode it fairly hard for an hour or so and then took it out in the pasture for some frog hunting with the kiddos! Still need to rebuild the forks and some other little things but it's been a good riding bike so far. It's comfortable to ride and is pretty nimble with plenty of power. I'm excited to tag it and start commuting on it a bit!

Bugsy screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 07:08 PM
Old 05-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
Lucky508
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Bugsy and the DT out n about.
Lucky508 is offline   Reply With Quote