User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,547
Scala Q2 MOD

I really like my Q2, but the Bluetooth volume is low like all BT devices and the speakers are typical helmet speakers. No wind noise isolation and without a way to move them closer to my ears or somehow create a "tube" between them and my ear I had difficulty hearing anything coming over the BT. I also didn't like the fact I was subjecting my ears to so much wind noise so I decided to come up with a better way. All I did was cut the speakers off a spare Cardo dock ($30 I think) and solder on a 3.5 mm female stereo audio socket. Now I can plug my Shure E530s in and have great isolation, much better audio from the MP3 player and be able to hear phone calls and GPS prompts. Pretty simple other than soldering these eeensy weeeensy teeeeny weeeeny baby hair wires onto the jack...ugh...

Works like a dream...exactly what i wanted. Cost me the dock and $3 for two jacks from Radio-Hack.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
GeoDude
Oblio had a point

Oddometer: 58
PM'd ya

Sent you a PM with a dumb-ass question.

Good looking modification!
And they roam the world at will...."

Spell of the Yukon by Robert Service
GeoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Impulse 101
Crazy Guitarist

Oddometer: 174
Great idea. A have a pair of Q2's on the way. I think that I'll be doing this mod ASAP. I'm going to cheap out a little bit and use some generic noise oclusive in ear units. This kills two stones with one bird!

JT

P.S. What was the wire color code?

Impulse 101 screwed with this post 09-21-2008 at 12:43 PM
Impulse 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse 101
Great idea. A have a pair of Q2's on the way. I think that I'll be doing this mod ASAP. I'm going to cheap out a little bit and use some generic noise oclusive in ear units. This kills two stones with one bird!

JT

P.S. What was the wire color code?
I used the Shures because it's what I had on hand. Make sure whatever you get fits fully inside your outside ear otherwise you'll have a PITA getting your helmet on without ripping the phones out of your ear.

Wires are red and black and as it's mono it doesn't make any diff how you hook them up. I used a stereo jack, but tied the reds together and the blacks together to make it easier for me to solder. The wires are really fine and hard to work with. Tin them out to about 1/2" long to make it easier to work with them. I used a piece of heat shrink on the last 2" of wire and shrunk it right onto the stress relief on the jack to clean it up and try to weatherproof it a bit. If I do it again, I'll fill the back part of the jack with epoxy to weatherproof it for sure.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Impulse 101
Crazy Guitarist

Good stuff. I'm familure with the hair thin wires because I have to repair DJ's headphones all the time at work. Total PITA working with them and it can be difficult to get them to take solder because they are usually varnish coated.

JT
Old 09-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
MK96xj
100% Seat Time

Oddometer: 402
I have had this same discussion with others on the Q2 but have yet to do it. Nice to see it is working for someone.

I actually have no issue with the volume of mine but I did space out the speakers with additional velcro so that the speakers where closer to my ears. I also wear earplugs and find that i can actually hear better with them then without at highway speed.

How do the earbuds compair to earplug quietness?
MK96xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK96xj
I have had this same discussion with others on the Q2 but have yet to do it. Nice to see it is working for someone.

I actually have no issue with the volume of mine but I did space out the speakers with additional velcro so that the speakers where closer to my ears. I also wear earplugs and find that i can actually hear better with them then without at highway speed.

How do the earbuds compair to earplug quietness?
I was going to use some 1/4" foam to get the speakers closer to my ears, but I wanted to kill two birds with one stone so I went with the canal phones to get the noise isolation and better sound quality with lower volume.

The Shures are well known for high isolation of ambient sound. It's really wonderful to ride and have all that noise blocked out

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
Impulse 101
Crazy Guitarist

I did the mod to both of my Q2's today. I didn't have any problems at all but there is a third wire in that is not connected to anything once you cut and strip the right ear wire back. Don't let it throw you for a loop, it's not connected to anything.

I connected the wires like this, The Blue and Green solid wires were twisted together and connected to the sleeve. The orange striped wire was connected to the ring and the red wire was connected to the tip.

It's a little ironic, before the mod the level was too low when set to full volume, now it's almost too loud when I have it full down. I much prefer too loud.

Later,

JT
Old 09-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #9
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

My colors were red, black and white. White wasn't connected to the speakers, but was connected to the circuit board in the clamp body. I could get sound by using the black and either the red or the white although the white wire was much quieter.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 01-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
antonv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
are you using a bluetooth mp3 player as well? if not, how are you connecting audio to the headset?
antonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
MrSnee2
Flying squirrel

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff
My colors were red, black and white. White wasn't connected to the speakers, but was connected to the circuit board in the clamp body. I could get sound by using the black and either the red or the white although the white wire was much quieter.
If I remember correctly from my manual, the MP-3 player is in stereo...any chance the red & white wires come into play for playing the MP-3 stereo function?

'08 R1200GS
'03 R1150GS (deceased)
MrSnee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonv
are you using a bluetooth mp3 player as well? if not, how are you connecting audio to the headset?
The Q2 is not stereo via Bluetooth. They will have an A2DP unit later this year (supposedly) but for now, music over bluetooth sounds terrible. I use an FM transmitter plugged into my iPhone and just tune the FM radio in the Q2 to the transmitter freq. Works good enough for riding my bike.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 01-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnee2
If I remember correctly from my manual, the MP-3 player is in stereo...any chance the red & white wires come into play for playing the MP-3 stereo function?
If you have the docks with the audio input jack it may be wired for stereo. I haven't done one of those yet as the 10 I have on order with Cardo have not arrived. I'm sure it's wired the same though. Pretty simple.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #14
btdale
btdale

Oddometer: 3
Great info - thanks biggziff for starting this thread!

When riding, does the jack flap around in the wind or do you tuck it under your helmet?

Has anyone tried modifying a dock with the audio input jack? I'm just wondering what color wires you put where. The two wires strands coming from my dock contain; Right speaker - red, green, copper and Left speaker - red striped, green striped and blue.

As previously stated, it looks like only two of the three wires are connected to each speaker (right - red and green, left - red and blue). I tried, one side at a time, to connect those same wires to the jack with no results (ie. no tone when pressing the vol up and down buttons). After testing different combinations, I got the right side to work using the red and copper colored wires and the left side using the red and green wires. This makes no sense to me. Anyone else have the same experience or know why this is happening???

THANKS!
btdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #15
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Oddometer: 204
Did The Mod

I did this mod today. Although tedious it worked well.
vtgs is online now   Reply With Quote