Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I had a flight instructor who rode an 883 all over the country and, I think, had over 100k miles on it. Seemed to work for him. Egronomics are all wrong for me.

My XB12XT has what is basically a souped up sportster 1200 motor and it's plenty smooth and friendly on the freeway. In fact the last little bit of buzzing doesn't go away 'till I'm north of 4k rpm (about 85mph+).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
DO IT
ride the piss out of it then upgrade to to something else...it's the American way
Old 11-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
supahman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
2007 and up 883 so I guess those are rubber mounted. My riding experience were limited to small cc dual-sport bike mostly in city traffic only. I have tested FZ6, Buell Lightning and recently I rented HD softail which I tried it on I10 while we had our holidays in Louisiana - it has a windshield but only shoulder tall when I'm seated on the bike and I was wearing a 3/4 lid - with this setup I find the turbulence exhausting at 70mph and being on interstate at rush hour the overall experience was a bit stressful. Which made me think if wearing a full face helmet and having taller windscreen makes a difference. BTW I prefer the ergo of mid control.

Reasons for picking 883:
- high resale value
- classic appeal (timeless design/aesthetic) - if i decided to keep
- easier/lower maintenance (as i have read)
- V-TWIN

supahman screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 11:39 PM
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #19
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
2007 and up is Fuel Injected. 2004 and up is rubber mounted.

If you hadn't found it yet, see the sportster thread here

It's mostly good looking bikes, but there is a little info in there too. The XL forum has tons of info, but there is SOOOO much "Hey, does this look cool?" and just BS over there. What you'll get here, by comparison, is a lot of people who ride motorcycles, kind of know their shit, and aren't afraid to bash a harley when they see one.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #20
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
And you talk about ease of maintenance... I was blown away the first time I serviced mine. Check the belt tension (not clean and lube chain, service shaft or anything, just give it a push for tension check). Pull the hose clamp off the oil drain hose. Drain the primary. Check primary chain through its little window. close it all up and fill with oil. It was like a half hour and there wasn't much of anything else I could have done, even if I wanted to. Ok, maybe an air filter check.

Resale on them is pretty incredible, as you'll see in your search. If you buy wisely initally, there is no way you'll lose. My 04 was purchased in 2009 for $3200. I put about 6k miles on it and sold it a year later for 4500. Kept the windshield, sissy bar, and seat off it as I knew I'd have another sportster one day. About a year later, I have another Sportster and everything bolted right up. Love it!
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
Evenflo76
Cheap and Easy

Oddometer: 538
I started on an xl1200low sporty. 2005, I put 11,000 miles on it in one year as my only vehicle. Besides getting a nail in the tire, I had no issues. Very easy to service and never left me stranded.

My riding was commuting and traveling back and forth from Daytona to Tampa. The bike did highway well. There was no windshield so anything over 67mph felt like a wind tunnel. Also, there was no rain protection at all.

I ended up trading it for a Dl650 Wee Strom. The difference was night and day. No more wind tunnel, better rain protection, just as reliable and I didn't have to slow down to parking lot speeds to take a turn. It also could carry more cargo than a volkswagon.

If the 883 is what you got, roll with it. It can be done, but something with a large fairing and larger tank will bring less fatigue.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #22
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
The 883 can be ridden pretty much anywhere. Plenty of power for freeway use (it's almost 900cc) Some people complain about the noise, vibration, or lack of a zillion HP. Those types would probably be better off on a crotch rocket. The Sportster can be custom tailored any way you want it. There is a large selection of seats, forward controls, shocks, handlebars, exhaust, and anything else you can think of to make it exactly what you want it to be. You can commute with it, or put a windshield and bags on it and ride it cross country. If you are the type who would prefer a motorcycle with an electric motor, a Sportster isn't for you. I like them because they provide a real motorcycling experience. A new one is about the same price as a new Bonneville, but they are totally different bikes. The Bonney is smooth and refined, the Sportster is exactly the opposite.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
I have an 07 883 with Road King shocks, QD screen with a laminar lip - no buffeting -, Givi topbox on the QD rack and a few other tweaks. I use it for touring, fun, shopping, whatever, about 2500km a month on average. I've had about 60 bikes over the last 40 odd years and the Sportster is one of the top "fun" bikes I've owned. Practically zero maintenance, handles very well if you learn how to push it hard, incredibly economical on fuel, comfortable (I have mids) and best of all, one of the last bikes that feels like a real one.

As far as the original question re highway speeds, I'd try one first if I were you. Mine is as smooth as glass between 3100 and 3400rpm - smoother than a VStrom 650 at 100kmh/60mph, and that's saying something - but at 4000, which is around 120kmh/75mph it is vibrating through the pegs enough to gradually shake my feet off the ends. I'm a long time Brit bike owner, so I'm used to vibration by the way. Some are worse than others, and mine is one the vibey side. Everything is tight but the rubber mounts might be a bit worn, so if you are looking at the used market, try and get the bike out on the highway first.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,793
Quote:
real motorcycling experience
Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
Here's my experience with an 883 and the highway:

My last bike was a DR650. I hated it on the interstate highway. It barely kept up with traffic and it wobbled in the wind anytime anything passed it. I modified it with a pipe and a re-jet and then it was much better on the highway. More power equalled more confidence, but it still wobbled in the wind of passing vehicles. It weighed around 360 lbs.

My current bike is a Harley 883. When I first got it, I hated it on the interstate highway. It shook like an unbalanced washing machine at anything above 65ish. I quickly modified both the exhaust and the aircleaner and of course did a re-jet of the carb. It gained a noticeable amount of power and it smoothed the engine out. Now 70, 80, and 90 are smooth. It has power to pass and it feels real good on the highway at 70 mph. It's not maxed out in other words. The bike weighs in at around 550lbs and the weight makes it planted with no wobbles in the wake of other vehicles. The difference from my last bike is quite dramatic. It's a raw sort of bike with some quirks and I think it takes an aquired taste. I however really enjoy it.

The 883 is more than capable of being a commuter bike.
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #26
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Who are you quoting kraven?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #27
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I like them because they provide a real motorcycling experience. A new one is about the same price as a new Bonneville, but they are totally different bikes. The Bonney is smooth and refined, the Sportster is exactly the opposite.
There you go.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #28
supahman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINGLER View Post
My current bike is a Harley 883. When I first got it, I hated it on the interstate highway. It shook like an unbalanced washing machine at anything above 65ish. I quickly modified both the exhaust and the aircleaner and of course did a re-jet of the carb. It gained a noticeable amount of power and it smoothed the engine out. Now 70, 80, and 90 are smooth. It has power to pass and it feels real good on the highway at 70 mph. It's not maxed out in other words. The bike weighs in at around 550lbs and the weight makes it planted with no wobbles in the wake of other vehicles. The difference from my last bike is quite dramatic. It's a raw sort of bike with some quirks and I think it takes an aquired taste. I however really enjoy it.
thanks man! i think this is the answer im looking for..
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #29
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I have a 02 1200 Custom. It rides just fine on my daily commute. No windscreen, forward controls, stock shocks and seat. I have taken it long distances over 450 miles in a day all on the superslab. Normal comfort issues you'd find on any distance ride.

If you can find a 1200 get it as every person I know who bought a 883 wishes they would have bought the 1200.
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
There you go.
Oh, that guy... Nevermind!