Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #31
supahman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
@iBiker - im actually now considering the 1200. i just hope its within my price range.
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #32
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahman View Post
@iBiker - im actually now considering the 1200. i just hope its within my price range.
As for price you aren't going to find much difference or should I say increase. Craig's List and eBay are two places to start pricing them. The Sportster is considered an entry level bike by many HD riders. It a good all purpose bike IMO obviously except off road.

I have nearly 30K on mine and I bought it 3 years ago. I have had no maintenance issues except the normal issues, battery, tires, etc.. I truly enjoy mine thru and thru. I plan to move up to a larger HD for longer and extended trips but I plan to keep my Sportster to commute and run around on when I want.

iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #33
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBiker View Post
If you can find a 1200 get it as every person I know who bought a 883 wishes they would have bought the 1200.
I don't regret getting the 883. I wanted to get one to experience how "weak" it was before going to a 1200. I also bought an 883 so that I could experience working on the engine and putting a 1200 top end on it. I enjoy working on things and I saw the 883 as a good candidate for a long term project.

Now, as for the power of the 883, I am also pleasantly suprised. In no way do I feel that it is "underpowered". I was expecting something horrible since everyone looks down on them so much, but that was not what I have experienced. I must be easily amused I guess. The 883 can't raise the front tire through every gear or even do a rolling burn out, but it is certainly faster than most SUV's from a stoplight. I never feel that it doesn't have enough to do the job, and I mean do the job well too. I'm glad I got the 883 for this experience.

.....and I'm sure I'll be even happier with the 1200 conversion installed. So in some ways I suppose I do agree with your advice on getting a 1200. But when buying an 883, you can certainly use the "weakness" factor as leverage to get a better price.
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #34
Martad00
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I have the nightster 1200 and its fine at highway speed. You can definitely set it up exactly how you want. I upgraded the exhaust and intake and it is a rocket ship. My BMW is waaaaaay better in the tight twisties though. The rear shocks are garbage as well so price in a simple upgrade.
Martad00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #35
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I had a rigid mount 4 speed 883, I was able to solve the range and ergonomic issues easy enough, but vibration at freeway speeds spoiled it for me. The rubber mount 5 speed is a whole different animal.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #36
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
"Real motorcycle experience" includes noise and vibration. A motorcycle is not supposed to be electric smooth. Remember it's a MOTORcycle, and is supposed to have an internal combustion engine. Harleys seem to be the only bikes left that still have the feel and sound of an internal combustion engine.

If you buy used, a 1200 is the way to go. If you buy new, get an 883. They are WAY cheaper than the 1200, and they have tubeless tires. They have plenty of power, but tend to be on the small side. That can be easily dealt with with an aftermarket seat and forward controls, giving you room to stretch out. And if you take care of it, you will get your moneys worth out of it. I would put the Screamin Eagle pipes on it as well. Not super loud, but enough to let you know there is a motor down there. The '04 and up are rubber mounted, and you feel less vibration through the bars and pegs, but the engine still vibrates like crazy ( a good thing IMO). It looks like it is going to jump right out of the frame at idle.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #37
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
"Real motorcycle experience" includes noise and vibration. A motorcycle is not supposed to be electric smooth. Remember it's a MOTORcycle, and is supposed to have an internal combustion engine. Harleys seem to be the only bikes left that still have the feel and sound of an internal combustion engine.

I take it you have never heard of Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Ural, or Royal Enfield.
They all have unique visceral character without being a sewing machine or paint shaker.

windmill screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 10:01 PM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #38
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

I take it you have never heard of Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Ural, or Royal Enfield.
They all have unique visceral character without being a sewing machine or paint shaker.
I take it that you've never been around a flathead Ural or Dnepr!
The fist thing you think of when you hear one is, "That sound can't be right!"
Because they sound EXACTLY like a sewing machine...a diesel powered sewing machine...amplified.
And the flatheads feel more refined than the OHV's, but with character. My wife usta work in the Rhein-Main Airport and she said she could hear me on the motorcycle at the front gate over a mile away over the sounds of the jets!!!
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #39
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
I take it that you've never been around a flathead Ural or Dnepr!
The fist thing you think of when you hear one is, "That sound can't be right!"
Because they sound EXACTLY like a sewing machine...a diesel powered sewing machine...amplified.
And the flatheads feel more refined than the OHV's, but with character. My wife usta work in the Rhein-Main Airport and she said she could hear me on the motorcycle at the front gate over a mile away over the sounds of the jets!!!
Well I've never heard an amplified diesel powered sewing machine, but I have heard Russian flatheads, to me they sound just like my Standard Twin tractor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXvkS...eature=related
Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #40
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:

If you buy used, a 1200 is the way to go. If you buy new, get an 883. They are WAY cheaper than the 1200, and they have tubeless tires. They have plenty of power, but tend to be on the small side. That can be easily dealt with with an aftermarket seat and forward controls, giving you room to stretch out. And if you take care of it, you will get your moneys worth out of it. I would put the Screamin Eagle pipes on it as well. Not super loud, but enough to let you know there is a motor down there. The '04 and up are rubber mounted, and you feel less vibration through the bars and pegs, but the engine still vibrates like crazy ( a good thing IMO). It looks like it is going to jump right out of the frame at idle.

There for a second I thought I accidentally logged into the comedy central forum when I read your post.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #41
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Unfortunately I have never ridden a Guzzi or Ducati, though I would love too. They tend to be on the expensive side, and I cannot handle the riding position of a Ducati sportbike. I have no desire to ride a Ural or Royal Enfield (well actually I would like to ride them, I just wouldn't want to own one, due to their serious lack of reliability)

Harley COULD stop the noise and vibration quite easily, simply by using offset crankpins to achieve perfect primary balance, (yes, the cylinders would have to be offset as well, but the Japanese have been doing that since they started building v-twins), but such a bike would not sell. People buy Harleys mostly for the sound and vibration. So I am not the only one that likes it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #42
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
People buy Harleys mostly for the sound and vibration.

That's news to me. I have stock pipes on mine and like the way it sounds, but I waited until they rubber-mounted the Sportsters before getting one. Mine is quiet by Harley standards and the only vibrations I feel are when the bike is stopped and idling.

I bought it because it's a standard bike that's dependable and easy to maintain.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #43
Evenflo76
Cheap and Easy

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
" Harleys seem to be the only bikes left that still have the feel and sound of a 50 Year Old internal combustion engine.
Fixed
Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #44
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I had a new 883 in 1986, thought it was fun and it had no problem running at 100 mph on the interstate.
I came off Triumphs, so I was used to some vibration.
It seemed nimble and built for a normal sized adult.

I also had a new 2006 1200, rubber mounted motor, FI, and overall I thought it sucked.
Worst suspension I ever had on a bike, worst seat, way too small for a normal sized man, very heavy bike.
Even with upgrades, I did not want to ride it longer then about an hour.
I do not like forward controls, but the mids on that bike were worse then the forwards would have been.

If you are a normal size, be sure to check it for size.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #45
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Unfortunately I have never ridden a Guzzi or Ducati, though I would love too. They tend to be on the expensive side, and I cannot handle the riding position of a Ducati sportbike. I have no desire to ride a Ural or Royal Enfield (well actually I would like to ride them, I just wouldn't want to own one, due to their serious lack of reliability)

Moto Guzzi is price competitive, the V7 with the Sportster, and the new California 1400 with the big twins. Never owned one but have ridden several

Ducati makes more than sportbikes.I had a E900 Elephant (adventyre bike), and a 450 scrambler.

I have been riding a Ural as my only transportation for 5 years, reliability has not been an issue.

I've owned 3 Harleys and a real Indian, I'm well aware of their abilities and limitations from actual experience. I dont desire a motorcycle to be as sterile as an electric appliance, or expect them to be as innocuous as Honda Civic. There is more than one definition of "real".