User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Solarbronco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Building a 2014 Beta 520 RS online

Man, I have been thinking about getting one of these for a while. For 2014, Beta improved the starter, added the 48mm Sachs forks and made the Trail Tech Voyager GPS as standard equipment. Plus a new rear rotor.

I have known that Beta builds outstanding bikes for a while and the longterm reports on their engines are coming back very positive. My friend has a 2011 and already has 17,000 plus miles on it. Only oil changes and one shim have been required. The manual says to replace the pistons at 90 hours, but his is still putting out max compression. He commutes daily and after work rides to the trails, and then 17 miles home. Crazy reliability from a dirtbike.

I have been playing on their BYOB (build your own bike) app and have built my bike, and it tops out at $10,195 with shipping, and Tax will be another 6%. I havent seen alot of Beta reports here, tried to do a search and am wondering why more people haven't dove in here in the States. Is it the small dealer network?

Does anyone have a 520 RS? Any reports?? I'd like to here some more reports before dropping that $500 build deposit.

This could also serve as a good thread for others considering building a Beta online via their BYOB site. http://www.americanbeta.com/byob/RS/...ob-beta-thumbs

Please don't turn this into a Beta vs KTM argument. There are plenty of KTM threads, not so many Beta threads. After riding my buddy's Beta, I wondered why. One heck of a bike and it handles better than my 2012 CRF 450R. Feels faster, too.

Solarbronco screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 08:10 PM
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
1wicked55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
The beta is a great bike. I had a 13. 498 RR and it was the smoothest big 4t I have ever rode. Every other bike manufacturer could learn from beta. I wish they would add FI to it.

I hope you enjoy your new beta.
1wicked55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
My BYOB purchase

2013 520 First Impressions

Almost a perfect day to ride in the desert, light rain keeping the dust away with no snowbirds blocking the trails looking at weeds and cacti before heading back to Canada, and no non-riders on their 25,000 dollar whore painted steroid Razrs with stereos and with out flags hogging the single tracks. If it wasnt for an hour of freezing pounding rain the day would of been a dream.
Still 90% of a great day is hard to beat especially, on a brand new bike.
The first thing I noticed from my old now converted dual sport XR 650 is that the 520 is very easy to toss around when avoiding those rim bender rocks on the trail. Sure the front end pops up on a whim and makes you want to ride a wheelie all day but just a good lean and your on the other side of the jeep trail avoiding a jarring rock. The hydraulic clutch was so much smoother than I could imagine. Two finger shifts were made possible on the enitre 75 mile ride if needed. The gear shift lever is positioned just right close to the case and not far out from it with only 2 missed shifts I blame entirely on my new Sidi boots. Once the boots are broken in completely I do not see that as a problem at all shifting up and down the gears. Going up and down the gears were quiet and smooth as butter, with no loud metal clanking noises.
As I wrote earlier I ordered the wide foot pegs and I am glad I did because standing up was made easy, securely and applying the rear brake was easy, even though the platform looks tiny and they do sell a larger pad, all my panic (oh shit) breaking was never missed. I ordered the fat boy rear springs and front according to my weight and it seemed to work with no problems. My riding partner who is a few pounds lighter than me bottomed out on his KTM bending his rear plate and my plate which hangs lower made it through unscratched on the same washouts at the same speeds.
The speed response from the throttle was quick and smooth with no hesitation or stalls. I was hinted at from others to remove the emissions but Dave at Get Dirty Dirt bikes said you do not really need to remove it because there is hardly any noteable difference. I took his advice and left it on and I have to say I am glad I did. I cant imagine it being any quicker. My riding partner stated it was smoother than the bike he was riding and he would not touch it either. So there, I am not removing it.
Todays ride consisted of dirt power line roads, slippery wet river rock single track, red caliche mud, old mining trails, flat desert roads, paved asphalt highway and sandy washes. The 520 took it all in style. The only dislike with the Beta it is true that at times it could be a little hard starting with the magic button when it is warm. If it sits for 10 to 15 minutes for a break it cranks right up. However on a 2 minute gate closer sometimes the starter has to work a bit. Harder than it should. I did not splurge on the upgraded battery but never the less it should start easier when hot. Next battery purchase will be a little better than stock. Any suggestions?
I did not go for a top speed run. I will wait until its a little more broken in. on the highway it ran smoothly at 65-70 with traffic, even though the Pirellis were howling against it. All in all the Beta is a great bike. Its easy to see why the Japanese are losing to the Euros on the dirt bike dept. The 520 is a great bike for the desert, I am glad I took the chance to be the first on my block to buy. It looks sharp and runs great. What more can a rider want?
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 799
There aren't many bad reviews of the current Beta's (just check the TT forum if you want some Kool Aid).
The BYOB program is genius... getting aftermarket parts pretty much at cost is great for the buyer. If I can ever afford a new dirtbike, I imagine I'll be going BYOB.
As for the dealer network... the other dealers near me never stock any parts, so they are pretty worthless. (Plus, they are manned by a bunch of knuckleheads, but that may be a NYC thing.) My Beta dealer is 350 miles away in VT (MotoConnection- Scott, he's a great guy). When I need something, I email him, and he has American Beta (SoCal) drop ship the parts to me. That's faster than a local dealer (at least, for me). I wouldn't let that scare you.

The only scenario I could imagine me replacing my Beta with a different brand is if I no longer wanted a big bore thumper (i.e., if my riding style totally changed).
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by atravlr View Post
The only dislike with the Beta it is true that at times it could be a little hard starting with the magic button when it is warm. If it sits for 10 to 15 minutes for a break it cranks right up.

Use the hot start knob on the FCR, it's the red one. Or use the tiniest amount of throttle when you hit the starter, it's quicker than looking for the hot start knob.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
Solarbronco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The 2014 is supposed to be easier to start. Plus, I plan on upgrading to the Lithium battery.

I have FI on my 2012 CRF-450R and I work on it more than my old Carb'd DRZ. FI is overrated in my book, very temperamental and filter screens tend to clog up in dirt use. Honda has had numerous recalls on their fuel pumps and screens. Carbs are easy to work on, easy to get parts for and once dialed in, very reliable. Especially the FCR. Did I mention that I like carbs?

Solarbronco screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 11:41 PM
Old 11-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Use the hot start knob on the FCR, it's the red one. Or use the tiniest amount of throttle when you hit the starter, it's quicker than looking for the hot start knob.
There's no type of hot start helper on my Beta or my FCR. But, mine isn't too tough to start (except that time I took it completely underwater- took about 5 minutes to start, haha).

This was after I got it upright...
Old 11-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Solarbronco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I stalled my FI CRF in watr this summer. Pushed her out, pulled the seat and aircleaner, kicked like heck and then got it started. Limped all week from kicking that damn thing over, lol.