User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,154
Europe 2014 Big cities to small roads of the Alps

Here we are on our ninth trip to Europe to play in the mountains on motorcycles. This time we are combining business and pleasure, business in the way of a conference in Prague for my wife, and pleasure by way of motorcycle travel to and from the conference.

Even before we landed as we are approaching the Munich airport I was reminded why riding is so wonderful over here. The area around the Munich airport is fairly flat and agricultural, but even so the roads are not straight, they wind and twist between the little villages and around the farm fields, like snakes laying in the sun. Damn George Washington, and the other founding fathers that found their profession in surveying. They took all of the fun out of our roads by making them straight and orderly.
We arrived in Munich got our luggage and hopped on the train to get the Moto. This trip we would be riding two up on an F 700 GS BMW that we got through Beach’s Motorcycle Adventures. We decided to spend the first night in Munich, as neither of us slept well on the plane and skies were cloudy with rain in the area, we had extra time to get to the conference anyway.
Friday was cool cloudy but no rain when we headed out. I plotted a roundabout route heading south first, looping around the east side of Salzburg and then in to Prague from the south east . We took a bunch of wonderful little back roads to the town of Bad Tolz, it was one of the first Bavarian towns we visited back and 99 on our first trip, and my wife does not feel the trip is properly started until we have visited there.

It stayed overcast and cool, to downright cold the first day, with temps

dipping into the low 40’s

For the first nights stay I found a great little place north of Gmunden Austria, it sat all by itself out in the countryside . That night we sat down for first big Bavarian dinner.

Roads are crooked, and railroads are straight

The next morning Dawned sunny, but still on the cool side as we worked our way to Prague, following little back roads

Not a lot of pictures on this day, as the Czech Republic is mainly just rolling farm land.

PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

Five days in Prague.
As I said, part of this trip was business for the wife. It sucks to be in Europe with a moto, and be stuck in a city.

Prague, it is supposed to be one of the nicest cities in Europe and maybe it is. Personally I just don't get cities and why people want to go visit them, the real beauty of a country is in the rural areas, the real people. In cities, everyone is pretty much the same. No one seems happy, tourists seem confused, locals seem annoyed, police seem to be alert and no one seems happy. Yet when I ride out in the country I see little old men and women walking up the road with a basket full of food or a scythe over their shoulder, weary from a long day’s work, yet they seem happy. This is the reason I never understood why people want to visit big cities Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome, they are all full of beggars and pick pockets roaming looking for easy prey. Yes, there are great buildings and history, but that takes all of a day to see.

Monday I did not ride, I went to the square watch the musicians and watch people. I did score my first gelato of the trip, and the usual tourist stuff.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm………scoop of annanas (Pineapple) and scoop of coconut

I didn’t waste my money going here, figured I could look in the mirror for free

Yes, I am not a fan of cities, but there is a lot to looks at.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
So nice..a new report from PFFOG! Count me in!!! Already an excellent beginning!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Beautiful European roads.... very tempting..
I am in.

Link to All about VietNam

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,176
Almost all of the Austrian country roads are like that, it's just the surroundings that change..lakes, mountains, plains - it's a tough place to live

Have a great ride and I look forward to reading more.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

By Tuesday I was getting restless, so after looking at the maps and seeing a few roads to the South West of Prague that looked very interesting, I jumped on the moto and headed out.

The roads were interesting, a few curves here and there some nice rolling countryside, some nice scenery in the country, fields of poppies, and seas of yellow fields that looked like wild mustard, but later research showed it was likely rapeseed. Rapeseed oil is used in Canola and other cooking oils and used for biofuels.

It was a nice cool day with some sunshine, I love those kinds of days to find some roadside field, throw down the coat and take a little nap. So I found a little parking area near Cemetery on a hill with a beautiful view, cool breeze, and warm sunshine. It does seem kind of strange that they always build cemeteries on hills with great views, who's going to enjoy it?

I had ridden parts of Slovenia a few times and found some wonderful roads, I was hoping the same for the Czech Republic. Unfortunately it appeared that wasn't the case. There are main roads, mostly consisting of decent pavement two lane highways, but good secondary roads are few and far between and barely paved.

The roads were quite rough several were very narrow which was fine. It did go through my head that if I had a flat tire out here I hope it was repairable as I was in the middle of nowhere and I don't know if anyone there spoke any English at all to communicate with and I had left my repair stuff in Prague. Luckily the bike and the tires made it back in perfect shape.

I just kind of kicked around with no real plan and no real route, just a couple roads that I pinpointed to ride. It was an enjoyable day and it was great to get out of the city, but not a day to remember for great riding opportunities. So back into town I headed.

One thing good about the Czech Republic is the prices, compared to some of the rest of Europe. We had a huge room on the top floor of a hotel that cost us the equivalent of about $60 per night. The little deli a couple of doors up the street had some good dark European beer for about $.60 for a pint. The trolley ride to downtown was about 10 minutes and a four hour ticket cost about two bucks. And we had a couple of decent restaurant meals with beverages for about 30 bucks.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
How can you treat us like that? Too few pictures
Really love the flower fields... More please....

Link to All about VietNam

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #8
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
"Personally I just don't get cities and why people want to go visit them, the real beauty of a country is in the rural areas, the real people. In cities, everyone is pretty much the same. No one seems happy, tourists seem confused, locals seem annoyed, police seem to be alert and no one seems happy. Yet when I ride out in the country I see little old men and women walking up the road with a basket full of food or a scythe over their shoulder, weary from a long day’s work, yet they seem happy. This is the reason I never understood why people want to visit big cities Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome, they are all full of beggars and pick pockets roaming looking for easy prey. Yes, there are great buildings and history, but that takes all of a day to see."

Are we related?

jk Richard, but you've expressed my feelings better than I could.
Looking forward to more.
Jim
ps: thanks again for the great advice you gave before my first trip
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Ah, Venice. Well it does suck for riding, that's for sure, unless you have a water-bike!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,211
Subscribed!

When did this trip take place? I rode some of the same areas last July!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietHorse View Post
How can you treat us like that? Too few pictures
Really love the flower fields... More please....
Lots of pics coming, I tend to take more pics on mountains than cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Moto View Post
Subscribed!

When did this trip take place? I rode some of the same areas last July!
Basically the first 2 weeks of June. So some of the hottest weather I have ever seen and I usually travel in July and Aug.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

One more day in Prague. As my plans for day trips didn't show any real promising or enjoyable roads I figured I would just wander around town for one more day. I went up to the Prague castle, which really isn't a castle in a traditional sense at all. It is more a walled city of shops, various churches, residences etc., there is of course a palace which serves as the home of the president of the Czech Republic.

There was lots of interesting architecture and a very Gothic looking church.

The views of the city below were nice and the history behind the place was interesting.

Snapped a few more pics, wandered around, then walked back over the Charles Bridge to the town square. I grabbed some lunch and a beer at a place on the square and sat around watching the people and street performers.

One of the big attractions in Prague is the astronomical clock that dates back to 1410. The most interesting part is I was enjoying my beer was watching the hordes of people gather about 15 minutes before the hour and then scatter like flies as soon as the clock did what clocks do, and struck the hour . After a few hours of people watching I made my way back to the hotel to plot my escape route.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 609
Glad to see you got back to the place you spoke of so affectionately.

GPS is still strong.

The best rider is the one who enjoys it most.
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #14
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

My wife is half Polish so she wanted to take a quick trip into Poland, just to say she had been there. So Thursday found us on the road heading north into Poland. We arrived just after lunch so we stopped at a small restaurant to grab a bite. As my wife was a passenger, she wanted to have a beer with her meal. Now you know what they say about stereotypes, that they are based loosely on true things. And we all have our favorite ethnic jokes, and the Polish have been had their fair share aimed at them. So when the beer arrives guess what it was served with, a bendy straw!

Yes, sometimes the jokes are deserved!

The wife ordered pirogues, as she wanted to have some authentic Polish made ones. She said they tasted just like her Grandmother use to make.

I am the other hand, ordered some goulash soup. Goulash soup is unlike the goulash they serve you in high school, generally no noodles insight. What goulash soup is made from is a tomato base filled with, I believe, whatever was left from the previous day’s menu. You can have vegetables, beef, pork, you name it, but I am yet to see any noodles. Soups in Europe are always accompanied by a basket of bread, so it makes a nice white meal for lunch time.

We rode around Poland for a little bit and headed back to Prague to pack up and hit the road for more interesting riding destinations in the morning.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #15
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

WOO HOO! Finally heading out of Prague, and back to riding in the mountains. We had packed up the night before so we got on the road pretty early. As I have said cities are fine but only for a day or two , then it's time to hit the mountains and have some fun . We headed back south and took a little turn to the east, as I wanted to explore the eastern end of Austria. I had not been that far east in the past. Not many pictures this day still in the rolling farmlands of Poland, not much different than my area of western New York state. Once we got into Austria I started to pick smaller roads and stay off the beaten path as the secondary roads in Austria are much better condition than those in Poland.

WOOHOO Mountains!

And twisty roads with good pavement

While trying to kill time in Prague I had scoped out a few places to stay so our goal was to make Grossreifing and the Gasthsus Schnabl, reviews were good and was only €30 per person per night , with half board only being €10 extra . €10 for a five course meal in Europe, is a bargain.
We arrived in time to have a couple of leisurely drinks on the patio and a great view.

Ahhhh Cold fresh malt beverage!

One of the things we love about Europe is almost everyplace has outdoor seating and in the mountains many times killer views. It seems in the US all those places with killer views have been taken over by high-rise condos and chain restaurants. In Europe they are still family-run small friendly businesses, where the beer is as fresh as the air! Dinner was excellent and we had a nice conversation with an Austrian couple in the area to do some river kayaking.
So far the weather has been great and the next morning it continued to be so. I am at early riser and the wife likes to sleep in a little, so I generally get up grab my camera and go for a walk. The Gasthaus is located on a small road I think I only saw one or two cars walking a mile and a half up and back.
Small stream behind the Schnabl

I am always impressed by the precision of the wood piles in Europe.

Some roadside flowers in the morning sun

The Schnabl

A local water source

The sun was high enough to start playing on the peaks behind the Gasthaus, so I snapped a few pictures.

We got an early start and hit the road soon we were into some very nice scenic and twisty roads. Nice to be back in the mountains and on fun roads.

Our trusty F700GS

On small roads, seeing views normally only seen by locals.

PFFOG screwed with this post 09-20-2014 at 04:18 PM