ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #76
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Oddometer: 512
Yep.....
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #77
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Eh? Hmmm...

Wow.

We need to hang onto our riding. We need to be effective good citizens. We need to make what we want for riding fit the plan, the Law, the Regs, scoot past the NEPA/ EIS bull.

Nobody cares that anyone is an angry white guy, or 15,000, who wants to ride his scooter on Public Lands. Angry white guys lost effectiveness when the WWII generation reached their 50s in the 1970s, right before John Wayne died.(I am an angry white guy, but I know in the big picture, nobody cares...).

IMO we need to calm down, learn the system, the regs, the law, and be as smooth as those metrosexual mountain bike advocates that get new trails built all the time! Because...how is the winning going with the aggro "we deserve it all" and 'everyone else is wrong' or dishonest or devious etc approaches? Not well, loss after loss. We are just riding our motorcycles, not curing cancer, not saving the world, quit acting like we are. But we as citizens should have some good riding, well-managed, therefore deserving of society allowing it to continue. Nobody cares that anyone is an angry white guy with an expensive motorcycle to ride on public land- we must make this fit society.

It is fairly common to see moto advocates who become well known become professional critics, hateful accusers of politicians and of the land administrators. How does this help? Nobody cares about an angry white guy...

I have seen the effect of tens of thousands of carbon-copy emails from an interest group sent to an agency...pissed at the extra work, and don't care. Perhaps better to do some homework, understand it, make well though-out logical, respectful, and pertinent comments that have insight to the big picture (other things are as/ more important as riding...but riding fits like this...etc)

When it all lines up- numbers of people, several interest group sectors ( the other group gets this, we get this, etc), the Law, the plan, the EIS, then maybe it can go forward. There is quite a lot of use of motors on USFS that I see as very shaky without enough foundation in Law and regulation. In my experience in WA moto riders have the best opportunity on State lands to improve access/ moto land-use. We should pay attention to that and get our remaining riding well-established. And certainly not abuse it!

ADVNCW screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 09:40 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #78
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,639
That's the problem with people like us: motorcycle riders, gun enthusiasts, independent thinkers... We're too independent for our own good. The greenies, however, march and vote in lockstep, and because of this they prevail.

I remember, years ago, when the state I lived in proposed a new law that would have banned all aftermarket exhausts on motorcycles. The shop I worked at staged a well-publicized rally on the capital steps, attended by, maybe, 50 people. Even though the shop I worked at was a Harley/Kawasaki dealer, very few of the loud pipe contingent showed up.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #79
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Because...how is the winning going with the aggro "we deserve it all" and 'everyone else is wrong' or dishonest or devious etc approaches?
I have not seen this from any motorized offroad recreation advocate of any significant influence. Care to be specific? Especially if any moto advocate is is using dishonest or devious approaches. That harms all of us and cannot be tolerated.

Quote:
It is fairly common to see moto advocates who become well known become professional critics, hateful accusers of politicians and of the land administrators. How does this help?
Thinking of anyone in particular?

No hate from me, but at the same time it is wrong not to point out when an elected official is doing something to intentionally harm our sport.

Quote:
I have seen the effect of tens of thousands of carbon-copy emails from an interest group sent to an agency...pissed at the extra work, and don't care.
The DNR cared enough to re-open Walker Valley and according to the Commissioner of Public Lands at the time, the thousands of correspondence did have a significant impact on the outcome.

Quote:
Perhaps better to do some homework, understand it, make well though-out logical, respectful, and pertinent comments that have insight to the big picture (other things are as/ more important as riding...but riding fits like this...etc)
Do see anything less from the NMA or WOHVA?

Quote:
There is quite a lot of use of motors on USFS that I see as very shaky without enough foundation in Law and regulation. In my experience in WA moto riders have the best opportunity on State lands to improve access/ moto land-use. We should pay attention to that and get our remaining riding well-established. And certainly not abuse it!
I agree.

Quote:
In my experience in WA moto riders have the best opportunity on State lands to improve access/ moto land-use.
Not so sure that is currently the case.

Quote:
We should pay attention to that and get our remaining riding well-established. And certainly not abuse it!

Correct.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #80
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Wow.

We need to hang onto our riding. We need to be effective good citizens. We need to make what we want for riding fit the plan, the Law, the Regs, scoot past the NEPA/ EIS bull.

Nobody cares that anyone is an angry white guy, or 15,000, who wants to ride his scooter on Public Lands. Angry white guys lost effectiveness when the WWII generation reached their 50s in the 1970s, right before John Wayne died.(I am an angry white guy, but I know in the big picture, nobody cares...).

IMO we need to calm down, learn the system, the regs, the law, and be as smooth as those metrosexual mountain bike advocates that get new trails built all the time! Because...how is the winning going with the aggro "we deserve it all" and 'everyone else is wrong' or dishonest or devious etc approaches? Not well, loss after loss. We are just riding our motorcycles, not curing cancer, not saving the world, quit acting like we are. But we as citizens should have some good riding, well-managed, therefore deserving of society allowing it to continue. Nobody cares that anyone is an angry white guy with an expensive motorcycle to ride on public land- we must make this fit society.

It is fairly common to see moto advocates who become well known become professional critics, hateful accusers of politicians and of the land administrators. How does this help? Nobody cares about an angry white guy...

I have seen the effect of tens of thousands of carbon-copy emails from an interest group sent to an agency...pissed at the extra work, and don't care. Perhaps better to do some homework, understand it, make well though-out logical, respectful, and pertinent comments that have insight to the big picture (other things are as/ more important as riding...but riding fits like this...etc)

When it all lines up- numbers of people, several interest group sectors ( the other group gets this, we get this, etc), the Law, the plan, the EIS, then maybe it can go forward. There is quite a lot of use of motors on USFS that I see as very shaky without enough foundation in Law and regulation. In my experience in WA moto riders have the best opportunity on State lands to improve access/ moto land-use. We should pay attention to that and get our remaining riding well-established. And certainly not abuse it!
Eh, pedal-powered mtn bikes aren't so cheap neither. Not a lot of non-white guys pushing those around on mtn single track either. Just sayin'.

Add noise, visible exhaust, and speed and it don't matter if these were $100 motorbikes ridden by a "diverse" cross-section of the public. Non-moto are selfish and don't want to share with anyone. The mtb'ers are barely accepted as legitimate use of these "delicate" trails.
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #81
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Oddometer: 512
Totally agree.

It's funny how the MTB guys have hopped into bed with the WTA devil, though.
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #82
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,630
Quote:

You have some fantastic posts in this thread.

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
That's the problem with people like us: motorcycle riders, gun enthusiasts, independent thinkers... We're too independent for our own good. The greenies, however, march and vote in lockstep, and because of this they prevail.
Not so much.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #83
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
You have some fantastic posts in this thread.
Yay! Somebody you agree with.

So what's the plan for fixin' there boss? Just keep's a tellin' us how's dumbs we is?
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #84
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
I think that's generally right, maybe a bit over simplified, but pretty close to the truth. The eviro crowd is very well organized and passionate. Also doesn't hurt to have the middle/upper class and rich on your side what with their disposable income and not.

The fix? Don't know that there is one, not in the Peoples Republic of Washington anyway.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #85
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Also doesn't hurt to have the middle/upper class and rich on your side what with their disposable income and not.
The corporate support they get allows them to have paid staff.
That makes a big difference in what you can accomplish on a day to day basis.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #86
tod701
Studly Adventurer

New question starts today

Current Question -Help us explain the following trend,

New research shows that for adults (18 and over) in Washington, between 2006 and 2012,

Nature-based recreation activities, such as backpacking, primitive camping, showshoeing, horseback riding, and climbing generally are increasing while

Activities that depend on built facilities, such as soccer, baseball, rollerblading, football, and boat camping generally are decreasing.

What do you think the reasons are?

http://scorpwa.wordpress.com/comments/
Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #87
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,347
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #88
guns_equal_freedom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,438
Getting high and drunk to walk around the forest requires no special skill set.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #89
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,347
you lookin at me?
Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #90
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tod701 View Post
The corporate support they get allows them to have paid staff.
That makes a big difference in what you can accomplish on a day to day basis.
Was at the WTA office today.

They a have 20 staff members in their downtown Seattle office.

Paid NMA staff + paid WOHVA staff = Total paid ORV advocates is Washington State ZERO.