User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
stephenws OP
Wishful Wanderer

Oddometer: 57
Best Heated Clothing?

What's the best heated clothing? My local BMW dealer sells First Gear, although I know there are several other brands.
stephenws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I was woundering the same thing and wasted a bunch of time looking around here and other sites over the last week or so. Seems like most other things everyone likes somthing diffrent. I bought the firstgear 90 watt liner today at my local dealer. He took $50 off the liner and that was the deal sealer for me. I was to cheep to buy the controller so I am using a toggle switch. I went for a short ride today and it works great. Hope that helps. Alan
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Das Boot
down periscope

Oddometer: 191
I like the new Powerlet stuff. I have had Widder and Gerbings prior. The quality of Powerlet is better then Gerbings IMHO. The Widder stuff was great for their time but they are long out of business.
Das Boot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
i have used gerbing gear for a long time . lifetime warranty and now made in the usa.. cruising down the road at temps below freezing and sweating your ass off is awesome.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,966
I like the kind you find in the appropriate sub-forum

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Thunder Pig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I am also shopping for heated gear. Currently between Gerbing and Powerlet. I would like to know where the Powerlet is made their website doesn't really say. Gerbing is USA made although you have to be careful getting from a dealer as my local dealer has a mix of import and USA made stuff, they look different and they are tagged.

Das Boot what makes you say the Powerlet was better? Fit, finish, hardware or everything? Having a tough time deciding between the two. Experience of company to me says Gerbing but the Powerlet IFR heating sounds better.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Yep should probably be under gear, and you might get more responses there, but I'm not a ball buster.

I've had gerbing gear for the last few years. It has always kept me warm, and always worked flawlessly. A bit pricey at first, but when you realize it will last a number of years the price becomes more reasonable. My brother in law turned me onto it and his coat is 12 years old with no issues. I've traveled 750 mile days at sub freezing temps in sleet and was pretty darn comfortable in a t shirt and gerbing liner jacket.

One note though. You want it to fit snuggly, the closer to your skin it is the better it works, bear that in mind when purchasing.

See you in the gear forum later
Wdwrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Das Boot
down periscope

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Pig View Post
I am also shopping for heated gear. Currently between Gerbing and Powerlet. I would like to know where the Powerlet is made their website doesn't really say. Gerbing is USA made although you have to be careful getting from a dealer as my local dealer has a mix of import and USA made stuff, they look different and they are tagged.

Das Boot what makes you say the Powerlet was better? Fit, finish, hardware or everything? Having a tough time deciding between the two. Experience of company to me says Gerbing but the Powerlet IFR heating sounds better.
The quality of the jacket and thermostat made by Powerlet is better then Gerbings. With that being said, the Gerbings and Widder worked fine for me for years. I bought one of the first RapidFire Powerlets when they became available a few years ago and have been more then impressed with it.
Das Boot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,423
I bought a Gerbings jacket, pant and gloves in '03 and they through in a free pair of Gerbings socks. Never have worn the socks (still in the package) but everything else I have used every cold weather season and still warming strong.

I like 'em.....................

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,516
Warm n Safe

http://www.warmnsafe.com/

Look in Vendors forum here on ADVRider,think there is an ADV discount

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
I love my Tourmaster heated vest!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 947
Gerbing's is the Gold Standard. They have a lifetime, no-hassle warranty, and they're available all over the place.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Aerostich

I have been using an Aerostich Kanetsu TLTec Wind Blocker electric jacket for 4-5 years and I am very happy with it. Mine is the older model, the newer models have zip off sleeves. The jacket by itself even when it is off is very warm, I only turn it on when the temps drop below 40. I wear a Darien jacket in the winter and this zips into the jacket which is a plus. I have ridden in low 20s with this set up for 3-4 hours at a time and have been very comfortable with a thin fleece and a poly undershirt.
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Gerbing's is the Gold Standard. They have a lifetime, no-hassle warranty, and they're available all over the place.
Folks here would disagree.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...light=Gerbings

Warranty is great and yes they have great marketing and wide distribution,but they have their drawbacks.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,955
There is no best electric gear maker. That's like asking who makes the best motorcycle.
The best thing to do is find out as much as you can about the brands that are out there.
Figure out how, when, where and why you will use the gear and work out from there.

For me... I've found that I like long torsoed jackets that are wind blocking have outside pockets and little to no extra insulation. I also want them to have stretch panels so the gear fits close to my body.
I like taller collars that close but don't zip and a dropped hem in the back so it covers the lower back while I'm on a sporty style bike.

I don't use or need a thermostat but a lighted cords that lights up to tell me the jacket is heating is good.
I use sae style two prong connections and I don't like extra connections for gloves or pants since it just adds bulk and cost.

I wear my heated gear close to my body and under the insulation layer. When I need my electric gear I NEED my gear and it's on full roast.