ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #166
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 674
Don't mean to preach guys, but I got a response from one of the 30 companies I've contacted that expressed appreciation for the tone of my communication with them. It said most of the communications they've been receiving amount to cyber bullying. I'm not saying anyone on here is doing that, but respectful communications will carry more weight than essentially yelling.

Reminds me of when Dodger stadium was first used for a SX race acouple years ago. A journalist in LA wrote an article that painted fans and the whole thing in an unfavorable light. I wrote him and he responded and said essentially the same thing....lots of nasty, hastily written notes with incorrect grammar and bad language. Unfortunately, it actually largely confirmed what his article said....which was disappointing to me. Spelling too is key. You can use Word to spell check if needed if draft it there first then cut and paste.

Just something to keep in mind as we proceed with this issue.

And just fyi, we're about ready to take the next step (COXR650L and I that is). Stay tuned and keep an eye out for a new thread.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #167
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,208
Just had an idea that may help.

I bought some Red Wing boots a few weeks ago. and was wondering what to do about their participation in this fiasco.
Writing to corporate may not make much of a difference, but if I write to the local merchant that I have bought boots from for over 20 years explaining why I may not ever be buying from them again, they may have a "WTF is going on?" and contact corporate with more weight than a letter from a disgruntled customer.

I'll let you know how they respond. I'll get the letter out in the next few days.

Just a thought. Maybe contact the local merchants who you have bought some of these goods from over the years and let them know that their corporate's position may determine your future patronage.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #168
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Just had an idea that may help.

I bought some Red Wing boots a few weeks ago. and was wondering what to do about their participation in this fiasco.
Writing to corporate may not make much of a difference, but if I write to the local merchant that I have bought boots from for over 20 years explaining why I may not ever be buying from them again, they may have a "WTF is going on?" and contact corporate with more weight than a letter from a disgruntled customer.

I'll let you know how they respond. I'll get the letter out in the next few days.

Just a thought. Maybe contact the local merchants who you have bought some of these goods from over the years and let them know that their corporate's position may determine your future patronage.
I've tried that very approach with numerous Patagonia retailers over the years. Most don't care and blindly follow Chouinard and whatever he does. However Summit Canyon Mountaineering in Glenwood Springs actually talked to their Patagonia rep and claimed they wrote a letter to Patagonia as well. I hope they did.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #169
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,888
This ad last year pissed off a lot of Patagonia retailers. Here their supplier (Patagonia) is basically telling consumers not to shop their stores and buy these products (which the retailer has already paid for and has sitting on the shelves). It caused some backlash from Patagucci retailers towards the Chouinard empire.

Talk about hypocrisy on Patagonia's part

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #170
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,665
Maybe misguided, but I appreciate their sentiment. Perhaps they could set up authorized service centers to handle repairs and recycling so end retailers see some of that business.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #171
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,161
Well I will ignore any Patagonia gear I find in Goodwill. I stick with strictly middle ground gear like the nice Starter down jacket I picked up the other day. Doesn't even have any gang symbols or stickers on it, although I appreciate that good American history of the brand.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #172
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Well I will ignore any Patagonia gear I find in Goodwill. I stick with strictly middle ground gear like the nice Starter down jacket I picked up the other day. Doesn't even have any gang symbols or stickers on it, although I appreciate that good American history of the brand.

Is it red or blue
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #173
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Is it red or blue
It is blue and I love it. I looked up the whole history of the Starter brand and it is quite interesting.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #174
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 674
Agreed Dude!! The ultimate in hypocrisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
This ad last year pissed off a lot of Patagonia retailers. Here their supplier (Patagonia) is basically telling consumers not to shop their stores and buy these products (which the retailer has already paid for and has sitting on the shelves). It caused some backlash from Patagucci retailers towards the Chouinard empire.

Talk about hypocrisy on Patagonia's part

Old 12-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #175
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Full list of supporters...
Seems to be a lot of businesses on that list who will be at least partially shooting themselves in the foot by supporting this possible closure, and that makes no sense at all.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #176
The Toecutter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Signed and copied to friends
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #177
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

I just posted a link to this thread on RZRforums-- hope that's OK with the OP.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #178
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Seems to be a lot of businesses on that list who will be at least partially shooting themselves in the foot by supporting this possible closure, and that makes no sense at all.
+1

There are a lot of climbers sponsored by some of these companys. It makes no sense. I can hear Patagucci telling one of their climbers to "go get on something hard in the desert and put up a first ascent so we can put it in our spring catalog. Oh wait, you can't get into that spot anymore, and if you did, you'll have to downclimb it cuz no new anchors are allowed. oops. we fucked up"
Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #179
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
+1

There are a lot of climbers sponsored by some of these companys. It makes no sense. I can hear Patagucci telling one of their climbers to "go get on something hard in the desert and put up a first ascent so we can put it in our spring catalog. Oh wait, you can't get into that spot anymore, and if you did, you'll have to downclimb it cuz no new anchors are allowed. oops. we fucked up"
I was thinking of the mountain bike rental/guide outfits I saw listed, but yeah, the climbing equipment suppliers seem to also have set themselves up.

Is Patagonia publicly-held? If so, I wonder if their stockholders would support such an asinine business model.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #180
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I was thinking of the mountain bike rental/guide outfits I saw listed, but yeah, the climbing equipment suppliers seem to also have set themselves up.

Is Patagonia publicly-held? If so, I wonder if their stockholders would support such an asinine business model.
A lot of those guide services already operate in Canyonlands National Monument. I'm sure that would be extended to new areas. Just because it gains Monument status does not mean that it gains "Wilderness" (with a capital W) status. Most of us, I would guess, have ridden White Rim Trail, and that is within a National Monument. I'm sure they would close many roads, but I'm sure many roads would remain open. My fear is always that more roads will be paved, overlooks built, RV friendly camping set up... it just changes the character. There's a similar push to turn Browns Canyon (right here next to Salida) into a National Monument, too. My fear is that it will become overun, and the fun riding turned into a graded or paved road so that the tourist in a Buick can view the canyon.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote