ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #166
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,894
This ad last year pissed off a lot of Patagonia retailers. Here their supplier (Patagonia) is basically telling consumers not to shop their stores and buy these products (which the retailer has already paid for and has sitting on the shelves). It caused some backlash from Patagucci retailers towards the Chouinard empire.

Talk about hypocrisy on Patagonia's part

__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #167
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,892
Maybe misguided, but I appreciate their sentiment. Perhaps they could set up authorized service centers to handle repairs and recycling so end retailers see some of that business.
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #168
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey
 
doc_ricketts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: FlaWaCo?
Oddometer: 5,560
Well I will ignore any Patagonia gear I find in Goodwill. I stick with strictly middle ground gear like the nice Starter down jacket I picked up the other day. Doesn't even have any gang symbols or stickers on it, although I appreciate that good American history of the brand.
__________________
"Get yourself to the hills and be uplifted, assuming you got some good knobbies"
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #169
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Well I will ignore any Patagonia gear I find in Goodwill. I stick with strictly middle ground gear like the nice Starter down jacket I picked up the other day. Doesn't even have any gang symbols or stickers on it, although I appreciate that good American history of the brand.


Is it red or blue
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #170
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey
 
doc_ricketts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: FlaWaCo?
Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Is it red or blue
It is blue and I love it. I looked up the whole history of the Starter brand and it is quite interesting.
__________________
"Get yourself to the hills and be uplifted, assuming you got some good knobbies"
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #171
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr
 
dmac1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: 6,540
Oddometer: 776
Agreed Dude!! The ultimate in hypocrisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
This ad last year pissed off a lot of Patagonia retailers. Here their supplier (Patagonia) is basically telling consumers not to shop their stores and buy these products (which the retailer has already paid for and has sitting on the shelves). It caused some backlash from Patagucci retailers towards the Chouinard empire.

Talk about hypocrisy on Patagonia's part

__________________
RwR | BRC | COHVCO | TPA | Gunny/C.B GOATS
2015 KTM 300 XC, 2006 KTM 450 EXC, 2006 CRF 250X
dmac1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #172
Nailhead
Free at last!
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 6,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Full list of supporters...
Seems to be a lot of businesses on that list who will be at least partially shooting themselves in the foot by supporting this possible closure, and that makes no sense at all.
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '93 Ducati 900 SS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #173
The Toecutter
Adventurer
 
The Toecutter's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Stone Canyon, CO
Oddometer: 67
Signed and copied to friends
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #174
Nailhead
Free at last!
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 6,256
I just posted a link to this thread on RZRforums-- hope that's OK with the OP.
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '93 Ducati 900 SS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #175
enduro-ince
dirtslave
 
enduro-ince's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Placerville Co.
Oddometer: 5,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Seems to be a lot of businesses on that list who will be at least partially shooting themselves in the foot by supporting this possible closure, and that makes no sense at all.
+1

There are a lot of climbers sponsored by some of these companys. It makes no sense. I can hear Patagucci telling one of their climbers to "go get on something hard in the desert and put up a first ascent so we can put it in our spring catalog. Oh wait, you can't get into that spot anymore, and if you did, you'll have to downclimb it cuz no new anchors are allowed. oops. we fucked up"
__________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
enduro-ince is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #176
Nailhead
Free at last!
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 6,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
+1

There are a lot of climbers sponsored by some of these companys. It makes no sense. I can hear Patagucci telling one of their climbers to "go get on something hard in the desert and put up a first ascent so we can put it in our spring catalog. Oh wait, you can't get into that spot anymore, and if you did, you'll have to downclimb it cuz no new anchors are allowed. oops. we fucked up"
I was thinking of the mountain bike rental/guide outfits I saw listed, but yeah, the climbing equipment suppliers seem to also have set themselves up.

Is Patagonia publicly-held? If so, I wonder if their stockholders would support such an asinine business model.
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '93 Ducati 900 SS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #177
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 44,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I was thinking of the mountain bike rental/guide outfits I saw listed, but yeah, the climbing equipment suppliers seem to also have set themselves up.

Is Patagonia publicly-held? If so, I wonder if their stockholders would support such an asinine business model.
A lot of those guide services already operate in Canyonlands National Monument. I'm sure that would be extended to new areas. Just because it gains Monument status does not mean that it gains "Wilderness" (with a capital W) status. Most of us, I would guess, have ridden White Rim Trail, and that is within a National Monument. I'm sure they would close many roads, but I'm sure many roads would remain open. My fear is always that more roads will be paved, overlooks built, RV friendly camping set up... it just changes the character. There's a similar push to turn Browns Canyon (right here next to Salida) into a National Monument, too. My fear is that it will become overun, and the fun riding turned into a graded or paved road so that the tourist in a Buick can view the canyon.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #178
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
+1

There are a lot of climbers sponsored by some of these companys. It makes no sense. I can hear Patagucci telling one of their climbers to "go get on something hard in the desert and put up a first ascent so we can put it in our spring catalog. Oh wait, you can't get into that spot anymore, and if you did, you'll have to downclimb it cuz no new anchors are allowed. oops. we fucked up"
+1

If you ever read an interview with Chouinard, they are chock full of contradictions. He openly criticizes climbers, alpinists, weekend warriors and in one interview "suburbanites who have no business being out in the woods at all". The interviewer then mentions "but many of these suburbanites are sporting Patagonia jackets and shirts" to which Chouinard respnoded "yes I know, these customers have built my houses. The hypocricy is not lost on me."
__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #179
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I was thinking of the mountain bike rental/guide outfits I saw listed, but yeah, the climbing equipment suppliers seem to also have set themselves up.

Is Patagonia publicly-held? If so, I wonder if their stockholders would support such an asinine business model.

Patagonia is still privately held.
__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #180
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
My fear is that it will become overun, and the fun riding turned into a graded or paved road so that the tourist in a Buick can view the canyon.

What you got against Buick's hater?

__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015