ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,321
This type of email sent to the businesses listed...

found your name listed on the following.
http://www.delalbright.com/Access/Ca...s%20letter.pdf if this is correct that you support this and NOT reponsible OHV use please let me know ASAP> i support only businesses that believe that there is room for all responsible users. Immediate response requested. Many friends go to Moab and we have a choice in where we eat! thanks, no response and I will assume your beliefs are different. You are entitled to your opinions .My dollars and those of my friends are spent where we feel they are wanted. Thanks
J sheets

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
Proud Highway
one hand waving free

Oddometer: 89
Notice that they are writing to the President and not Congress.

The President has no authority to designate such a vast area of public land a National Monument. The authority to manage and control public land is vested in Congress.

I know the Constitution is a joke to some people and has largely been reduced to "hand waving" in our government, but this usurpation of the separation of powers makes for a lawless society.

This abuse of the Executive over public lands began in earnest during the second term of the Clinton administration. He used an obscure statute, Antiquities Act of 1906, that was meant to preserve buildings, artifacts and sites that bear historical and scientific significance. The act expressly states "the limits of which in all cases shall be confined to the smallest area compatible with the proper care and management of the objects to be protected." (16 USC 431) Think the Alamo in TX, Civil War battlefields as opposed to hundreds of millions of acres in the West.

Proud Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieRider View Post
Did you see that New Belgium is on that list of businesses?

It seems that they regard recreating as something that can only be done on foot or in a raft.
I think bicycle gets the majority of their support. But yes I did notice them on the list and it just gives me more reason to continue to go to Odell.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
I just sent a letter to New Belgum also....

I would be all in for some kind of letter writting campaign to the companies that supported this.

If there are any wordsmiths who can write a form letter I can add a petition on my webpage (dubinky.com) to collect signatures and then take care of sending the letters with all the signatures to each of the companies Any opposition?

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post

The President has no authority to designate such a vast area of public land a National Monument. The authority to manage and control public land is vested in Congress.

I know the Constitution is a joke to some people and has largely been reduced to "hand waving" in our government, but this usurpation of the separation of powers makes for a lawless society.

This abuse of the Executive over public lands began in earnest during the second term of the Clinton administration. He used an obscure statute, Antiquities Act of 1906, that was meant to preserve buildings, artifacts and sites that bear historical and scientific significance. The act expressly states "the limits of which in all cases shall be confined to the smallest area compatible with the proper care and management of the objects to be protected." (16 USC 431) Think the Alamo in TX, Civil War battlefields as opposed to hundreds of millions of acres in the West.
Whether or not you believe PODUS has the authority is beside the point. The point is PODUS CAN use the Antiquities Act to do so. Let's focus on getting voices of opposition heard.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure

Narsisco Lopez screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 11:02 AM
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #21
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post

Agreed, but whats your point? Clinton did it with Grand Staircase-Escalante. If you are implying it isn't a big deal, or thinking Obama won't do it, I think you are being naiive.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #22
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,124
"Greater Canyonlands"

I posted a thread on this back in February. . . an entire 2 people responded.
Hopefully we can amass, dig our heals in and get to work fighting this absurd proposal.

I'm sure glad you're putting this out there. This is no joke, and nothing to take lightly. SUWA is well-known for their deceitful proposals and hard-line antics. They are very political and exceptional liars too (coincidence??).

Pariahtize screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 07:30 AM
Pariahtize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #23
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Done..... and I'm contacting a few of the companies listed that I used to buy from.

You have to do that guys. These companies only understand dollars.
'

I concur that this is a good tact and glad to see others are doing it too. I've read where at least a couple of the companies have responded that they did not give permission to have their names on the letter! I hope it turns into an internal battle amongst the retailers!

I smell SUWA (and Black Diamond) as the culprits behind this. If they succeed, you can bet they'll try it again.

Edit - the more letters we send, the louder our voice gets!!!

dmac1 screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 11:16 AM
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #24
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
I just sent a letter to New Belgum also....

I would be all in for some kind of letter writting campaign to the companies that supported this.

If there are any wordsmiths who can write a form letter I can add a petition on my webpage (dubinky.com) to collect signatures and then take care of sending the letters with all the signatures to each of the companies Any opposition?

Great idea! Hopefully many small businesses will do the same.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #25
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Here's the clip fromt he Daily Camera back in February. . . notice how the writer "encourages" people to vote for Obama to support and institutionalze this proposal.

http://www.dailycamera.com/guestopinion/ci_20038596
Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #26
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Here's a copy of SUWA's proposal. Flip thru a few pages to see the map of the area. . . and if you have the stomach, read thru this thing - knowledge is power!

http://dev.suwa.org/wp-content/uploa...bits_FINAL.pdf
Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #27
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Agreed, but whats your point? Clinton did it with Grand Staircase-Escalante. If you are implying it isn't a big deal, or thinking Obama won't do it, I think you are being naiive.
You are correct. Clinton used a 90 year old law that probably wasn't really designed for this...but it worked.

http://ens-newswire.com/wp-content/u...04-20-041.html

The current president has used excutive orders and such about as much as anyone to bypass congress, so I wouldn't be shocked to see some movement in this particular land issue. Hellsickle and I got into a friendly debate on that huge political thread awhile back concerning the philosophy of this administration and public lands. He felt this admin hasn't really shown much of an effort to push the aggressive environmentalist agenda. I tend to think he will push a more aggressive agenda in an environment where reelection isn't an issue. It's a debate I really hope to lose.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #28
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Utah land closures

Sent my signature the other day. Has (can) some one get the local jeep clubs involved, espically the one that puts on the Easter Jeep safari? How about a letter to JP magazine letting them know whats going on with this threat? It seems that the more that know, the better off, espically with the retailers thst support this.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #29
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Here is the reply I got from New Belgum............

Hey Ben,

Thanks for your note. In August 2012 New Belgium, along with 100 other companies, signed a letter in support of designating the Greater Canyonlands as a national monument. We did so because we believe the area greatly needs the protections that monument status will afford. The document clearly calls out the economic role that outdoor recreation plays in the area and asks for protections that will allow that industry to flourish. Our advocacy on this issue acknowledges that public access to these lands is dependent upon their federally designated status. We support sensible allocation of open space for all recreational enthusiasts including motorized vehicles. Our understanding is that monument status does not necessarily exclude motorized vehicles, as that would be negotiated in the management plan. Please see that attached FAQs for any further questions. Thanks again for reaching out.

Bryan Simpson
Media Relations Director
New Belgium Brewing
500 Linden St.
Fort Collins, CO. 80524
970-221-0524

Westfest 2013
Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #30
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

I think most of these compaines were only told "part" of the story about outdoor recreation in this area and signed on under that pretense. I am sure most of them do not realize this means there will be no mountain biking (or very limited number of trails), no pets allowed on trails, and no access to the majority of areas that people currently go.

If this passes it will be DEVASTATING to not only Utah but all the surrounding states.

I believe doing the letter writting campain would be very helpful to let them know the truth about what a national monument designation means and how many of their customers it would affect.

I am in the process of getting an online petition set up and I will handle all the collection and then distribution of the letters to the listed compaines. Is there anyone that can write a letter outlining what a National Monument Designation really means and the affects it will have on the economy???

Westfest 2013

COXR650L screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 12:00 PM