ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #76
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,578
You guys might be interested in the debate going on in editorial pages of the Salt Lake Tribune regarding Utah attempts to take over this region from the feds. Here is one comment from a responder who agrees with me:

Lest us not forget, Governor Herbert is a "Real Estate Mogal".

The land in its present form, belongs to the People of Utah with management by the Federal government who prevent "exploitation" of the Commons.

Herbert just wants to 'get his mitts on the land" for his personal gain, along with his Rich Buddies then they can put up "No Tresspassing Signs" and lock us, the unclean Public from having access without paying for it.

Just head to Montana and see what Ted Turner has done with his 2,000,000 acres.

"No Tresspassing"..

Here is the Trib debate:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...#disqus_thread

So as offroad riders, we are probably jousting with Sierra Club types as well as the Rich Buddy crowd which includes Utah Gov. Herbert and Ted Turner.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #77
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,742
Yeah. Here in New Mexico Ted Turner just buys land in huge ranches and totally closes them down. He even gets county roads closed.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #78
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,578
Here is a good web site that I have enjoyed drooling over all the many trails in Utah that I haven't had a chance to ride on. I don't want anybody to mess with any of it, either state or federal or sierra clubbies.
http://www.utah.com/offroad/

Here is a video of Gov. Herbert talking to an ATV group in which he sounds very reasonable. If so, then he might be workable in a solution rather than taking on a big battle with the federal government:
http://youtu.be/S7qpSYUkZFc

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 03:45 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #79
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Signed. Done.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #80
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
I sent him an email and a message on Facebook. I suspect he already knows about the actions from the Utah governor and the environmental groups. He is being rumored for the Sec. State replacement, so I imagine he is very busy, but knowing how he loves offroad riding and the beautiful areas of Utah, I suspect he will be involved somehow. This issue involves the fine details of state-federal/environment-energy complexities. Similar issues have centered around Yellowstone and other areas that are highly multiuse. I worked on a problem north of Yellowstone where a wacko church group was drilling a large number of geothermal wells. And similar problems existed along the western margin of Yellowstone with energy development.
Let us know what you hear, and thanks for reaching out to Huntsman

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #81
Blueshark
Coastal Castaway

Oddometer: 132
Signed and sent.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #82
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariahtize View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. . . . I suppose that's why they support expeditions into pristine environments. Those mountaineers and rock climbers, and "trekkers" (et al) never leave piles of trash (and shit) behind. . . never place bolts into rocks. . . never create new trails. . . never use vehicles and burn fossil fuels. . . never promote/propose that their customers follow suit and "explore". . . never support exhibitionistic people who unlawfully disregard laws put in place to protect the environment (ex: no climbing on the arches within Arches NP). . . never make profits from "destructive recreation". . . never get involved with bias politics (oops!). . . .

Hey, at least they aren't hypocrites!
Right on! See Mount Everest base camp for proof of our point! Or any remote base camp for that matter. Shit everywhere...literally!!!

dmac1 screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 07:51 AM
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #83
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

I think white wash is included!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Here is an accurate description of what they are trying to do overall:
http://www.sierraclub.org/habitat/do...anyonlands.pdf
Ok....I asked the guys on MotoUtah if they think I'm right, but I believe at least part of White Wash is included in the proposed Monument. At least it appears that way on the sierra club map. If you follow the Green River south from Green River, Dead Cow is just north of Trin-Alcove (get your maps...its a hairpin bend in the river). The border of the proposed monument is NORTH of Dead Cow!!!!

If I'm right, this whole thing just jumped to another whole level in my estimation. Even if I'm wrong, the whole thing would set a precedent that we simply can not allow. Since when do retailers establish the classification of public land? Problem is, if they get everyone non-moto behind them, we'll lose, BUT WE MUST TRY!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #84
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

Draft lette to retailers

In case you don't have time to draft your own, consider using the following. Be sure to customize the part about what recreation you take part in and most importantly, the part about their products. The more specific you can get the better....and obviously if its to a cafe, revise accordingly.
-------------------------------
Hi

I am writing because I see that your company’s name was on a letter to President Obama concerning creation of a new national monument surrounding Canyonlands National Park.

My family and friends enjoy many forms of recreation in the great outdoors including mountain biking, dirt biking, road cycling, hiking, canyoneering, rock and ice climbing, mountain climbing, kayaking and 4wheeling and use many of your products in some of these pursuits. We recognize that certain areas are worthy of a special level of protection, but we feel that there is already an adequate amount of land so protected. We feel that any further restrictions on access and responsible recreation are unneeded and will actually have a detrimental effect in the long run. That is, as less and less land is available for recreation, it will result in overcrowding on the remaining lands which will lead to unnecessary user conflicts and overuse of those lands.

In addition, there are already resource management plans in place or underway for most (if not all) federal land and these plans take into account the particular needs of each specific area and provide for responsible and managed multiple use, taking into account many factors including the history of the area.

Please let me know your position on this so that I will know whether we will wish to purchase any of your products in the future.

Thank you.

dmac1 screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 08:36 AM Reason: I added a couple other activities plus added the red highlight
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #85
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
In case you don't have time to draft your own, consider using the following. Be sure to customize the part about what recreation you take part in and most importantly, the part about their products. The more specific you can get the better....and obviously if its to a cafe, revise accordingly.
-------------------------------
Hi

I am writing because I see that your company’s name was on a letter to President Obama concerning creation of a new national monument surrounding Canyonlands National Park.

My family and friends enjoy many forms of recreation in the great outdoors including mountain biking, dirt biking, hiking, canyoneering, rock and ice climbing, mountain climbing and 4wheeling and use many of your products in some of these pursuits. We recognize that certain areas are worthy of a special level of protection, but we feel that there is already an adequate amount of land so protected. We feel that any further restrictions on access and responsible recreation are unneeded and will actually have a detrimental effect in the long run. That is, as less and less land is available for recreation, it will result in overcrowding on the remaining lands which will lead to unnecessary user conflicts and overuse of those lands.

In addition, there are already resource management plans in place or underway for most (if not all) federal land and these plans take into account the particular needs of each specific area and provide for responsible and managed multiple use, taking into account many factors including the history of the area.

Please let me know your position on this so that I will know whether we will wish to purchase any of your products in the future.

Thank you.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #86
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

So, we still are not getting nearly enough interest to make a dent in this. Dmac1 has offered to write the letter to go along with the petition and we will post it as soon as it is done so people know what they are signing.

This was posted in a link earlier, but here is the map of the proposed National Monument boundaries. The area that will be lost is mind numbing. Again I am saying this will be the single largest blow to riding in the western US, EVER. Hopefully looking at the map you can see that the majority of popular riding in Utah will be lost.
Where have you ridden in the boundary that will be lost. Do you mountain bike, hike, or camp anywhere in the boundary??

Here are excerpts from the Sierra Clubs about their justification for the National Monument.....

This is what they are urging their members to do about it, not much different than us.............

Please send a letter to Obama here
and sign the petition to boycott all the supporting businesses here

Thanks for everyone's support so far. If you already signed please pass it along to friends, post on face book, twiter etc. I can guarantee you the sierra club members are doing just that.

Ben

Westfest 2013
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #87
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 110
Just what we need. More of our lands locked up so only a few can enjoy them. We (USA) can't even manage the National Parks and Monument that we have designated in the past. And most the people that have put pressure on our current administration to create more wilderness will never set foot on these lands.

Now is the time to be heard. Write your elected officials, Land Management agencies, and the companies that supply the $ $ to these idiots.
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #88
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,331
I happen to have quite a few vids and pictures of this area, I'm thinking of trying to do a short documentary on this proposed change in designation.

Open to ideas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
So, we still are not getting nearly enough interest to make a dent in this. Dmac1 has offered to write the letter to go along with the petition and we will post it as soon as it is done so people know what they are signing.

This was posted in a link earlier, but here is the map of the proposed National Monument boundaries. The area that will be lost is mind numbing. Again I am saying this will be the single largest blow to riding in the western US, EVER. Hopefully looking at the map you can see that the majority of popular riding in Utah will be lost.
Where have you ridden in the boundary that will be lost. Do you mountain bike, hike, or camp anywhere in the boundary??

Here are excerpts from the Sierra Clubs about their justification for the National Monument.....

This is what they are urging their members to do about it, not much different than us.............

Please send a letter to Obama here
and sign the petition to boycott all the supporting businesses here

Thanks for everyone's support so far. If you already signed please pass it along to friends, post on face book, twiter etc. I can guarantee you the sierra club members are doing just that.

Ben
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #89
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I happen to have quite a few vids and pictures of this area, I'm thinking of trying to do a short documentary on this proposed change in designation.

Open to ideas???
Ridefreak,
Thanks for taking the lead on doing some youtube videos.

I think it would be good to first talk about what a National Monument really is. Maybe try and highlight that there are no Mtn Bikes, no access to hiking, camping, OHVs etc and show the "typical" tourists that visit national parks and monuments who are lucky to stray from the paved road. Try and emphasis that this "tourist" is now the user and all the current groups will be run off. Then show the scope of this proposal and list a highlight real of all the great trials that would be lost, for all types of users.

I think it is important to also emphasis in the video this is not just a threat to OHV's but anyone that likes open access. they may not realize it but this includes bikes, hikers, campers, rock climbers, etc. None of these people could do any of their activities if there was not OHV access. Tell me how many rock climbers will do a 12 hour hike in the heat of the desert to climb a rock face for 2 hours, when they can currently just drive their Toyota Tacoma 2 hours down a dirt road up to the climb?

Westfest 2013
Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #90
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Strength in numbers

I will say this again, because I do not possess the computer savy yet, that we need to get the obama and business list link out to all of the regional forums in adv rider. I was scouting the other forums looking for issues similar to ours, and realized that there are a lot of people on the other forums that need to know about this. Every signature counts! and it is so easy to complete. I would think that this would be an excellent way to show strength in numbers because that is what is needed here and if this happens some where else, that we would be called upon to respond. I would think that the 4wd off road groups would be pissing razor blades about this also. I will see if my jeep club is aware of this when I get back in town and see if a collective effort is being mounted on their part.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote