Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #16
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,095
Next time just say you bought an MT500 or Harley Aermacchi. Then you'll be cool in his eyes.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #17
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Nothing wrong with old Harley's, actually I love the old things. But the knuckle draggin' mouth breathers that seem to gravitate to that brand actually makes me nervous for the human races' gene pool.
Old Harleys meaning up to about 1945,those are slick old codgers of bikes.
The new advertising driven schlock bikes are all the same cookie cutter parts bin specials with shiny new paint,metalflake being cool this year. And really,as long as you dont plan on leaning over much further then a Buick,dont care much about suspension or top line brakes,maybe youve always wanted a set of ape hangers, a new Harley may be the perfect bike. Of course,really,the look is the overlying factor for purchase. Or your best buddy/neighbor got one.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #18
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
When they start looking good to you, you'll know you've "matured".

GILF's? Grandmothers I'd like to.......
Farkle?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,961
I have nothing against Harleys per se, but that kind attitude gets all over me. I would be tempted to egg him on, telling him that HD is a sell out company, and the only real American motorcycle company was Indian. I'd go on to say that HD was just a copycat startup when Indian was a pionier in motorcycle racing in 1901, and they are only still in business because they sell t-shirts to people who don't even know how to ride.

I think the majority of people with that attitude believe that because they are loyal to USA made vehicles, so they would have a hard time putting down Indian, and the t-shirt comment should send his tail hiding between his legs.

I really don't believe any of that, but love to play devil's advocate. Harleys, Indians, Hendersons...they are all cool in their own right, but I also love the Hondas, BMWs, Triuphs, and Ducatis. Personally, I like sporty performance machines, but I wouldn't tell someone their choice sucked, even if it was a scooter with a top speed of 20 mph with a flower basket on the handlebars. (OK, I might snicker quietly to myself ).
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
So my buddy and I walked into a gritty diner in the middle of the state of New York (super rural) around 10am, we are riding an SV650 and SV1000, and every bike we have passed since we left NYC has been a Harley (not one wave). A few older gentlemen turned around and mumbled something about our crotch rockets, so we paid them no mind, one of them with a thick white beard walks over and mentions why we aren't riding Harleys? We look at each other and just said not our style, he then said, those were the biggest pieces of shit that I've owned in my lifetime, the 75yr old dude was telling us about his old Moto Guzzi's, Triumphs and his precious Suzuki Hustler, and how he wishes he could restore his old Honda CB350, etc... pretty cool old dude, we couldn't believe it. He then mumbled something about some motorcycle hangouts from the 60's and 70's in northern long island (where he's from) and how he wonders if they are still there... etc.. we expected a different convo, but I gave the old man some props for knowing his bikes and surprising us with the stereotypical outlook of old dudes = Harleys.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #21
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
Next time just say you bought an MT500 or Harley Aermacchi. Then you'll be cool in his eyes.

Not really. He won't have a clue what you're talking about.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
Not really. He won't have a clue what you're talking about.
That's right.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Yeah, I get the "you ride a Harley, right?" all the time. I usually say I ride a V-twin: it's great. I love to see the look on their face when they see the bike.

1998 CR250

photomd screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 06:16 PM
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomd View Post
Yeah, I get the "you ride a Harley, right?" all the time. I usually say I ride a V-twin: it's great. I love to see the look on their face when they see the bike.
Same here.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
F_Sahms
mostly paved

Oddometer: 319
Just another IGLOOS + I Got the Look, Own One Soon....
Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
elite1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
It must have made a big impression on you to make you share it with all of us. No doubt over the years I have had a few overly excited Harley people ramble on, and BMW people, a lot of Triumph people but NEVER have I had someone come up to me and get excited over a Honda Ascot, but then when it happens I will post about it here.
I really wasn't looking to have him, or anyone else for that matter, make a "fuss" over my obscure, 30 year old Honda. Just thought maybe he was a bike guy who I could have a conversation with. There are some Harley guys out there who are enthusiasts, but the majority of Harley fans seem to be people who know nothing about bikes. They either buy the T-shirts and never buy the bike, or they'll actually buy the bike , then become instant Billy Badasses. All of a sudden they develop an inclination to start wearing do rags. Then, the chain drive wallet makes an appearance. The coup di gras is the brand new HD jacket and matching chaps. Watching the HD poseurs attempt to ride their new acquisition is the best part of all. I didn't think it was physically possible to keep a bike upright riding that slow. My favorite is when I get behind a group of them and they will consistently go 10 miles an hour UNDER the speed limit. Please understand, this isn't a slam against Harley's or the people that own them. Its more about the ignorant Harley fan boys that act like they are superior to you because they back the bike that they think is the best, when in reality, they know nothing about bikes. Nuff said. Rant over. Please go back to your normal programming.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #27
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
I really wasn't looking to have him, or anyone else for that matter, make a "fuss" over my obscure, 30 year old Honda. Just thought maybe he was a bike guy who I could have a conversation with. There are some Harley guys out there who are enthusiasts, but the majority of Harley fans seem to be people who know nothing about bikes. They either buy the T-shirts and never buy the bike, or they'll actually buy the bike , then become instant Billy Badasses. All of a sudden they develop an inclination to start wearing do rags. Then, the chain drive wallet makes an appearance. The coup di gras is the brand new HD jacket and matching chaps. Watching the HD poseurs attempt to ride their new acquisition is the best part of all. I didn't think it was physically possible to keep a bike upright riding that slow. My favorite is when I get behind a group of them and they will consistently go 10 miles an hour UNDER the speed limit. Please understand, this isn't a slam against Harley's or the people that own them. Its more about the ignorant Harley fan boys that act like they are superior to you because they back the bike that they think is the best, when in reality, they know nothing about bikes. Nuff said. Rant over. Please go back to your normal programming.
AMEN Brother! Maybe he just didn't like salesmen and wanted to be as rude as possible.. instead of saying "I'm really not looking to change my Village People uniform supplier right now, but if I do, I'll contact you". As a salesman, you should have gushed about HIS VERY SPECIAL, LIMITED EDITION H-D, made him feel so good about it that he cut a P.O. on the spot.. well, er, uh, you know, the one he WOULD get, when his wife says he can get one.
As for the -10 modus operendi, that would be the "Parade Cycles"

concours screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 06:51 PM
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
Please understand, this isn't a slam against Harley's or the people that own them. Its more about the ignorant Harley fan boys that act like they are superior to you because they back the bike that they think is the best, when in reality, they know nothing about bikes. Nuff said. Rant over. Please go back to your normal programming.
Man, Im glad you clarified that because my hackle was standing up at your original stereotypical Harley Character bashing comments.

You see, Ive owned several Harleys, still own an old Ironhead Sporty (look it up, its a classic design), and an 02 Road King that has become such a part of the family with its reliability and pure enjoyment that we named her Ruby.

Ive been riding since I was 4 years old, the son of a professional hillclimber. Im now 48 years old and owned so many Japanese bikes of all types and brands that I could never remember them all.

I currently own multiple Yamahas, Hondas, a Vstrom 1000, a '70 Triumph Bonneville, etc...

I got into the Harley scene because as a kid I remember dad always talkng about how much he wished he still had his old Panhead Dresser from his younger years.

Much like you, I always thought "what the hell is the attraction, I dont get it?".

After he died totally unexpected at such a young age (57) of an aneuryism, I did a lot of soul searching.

I missed my best friend...so as sort of a tribute to him I figured Id give the Harleys a shot, because I know he always wanted to get another one.

I started riding mine more and more and I instantly "got it".

These bikes arent cookie cutter, faceless, sewing machine feeling bikes.

They have chracter, feeling, torque, fun. And, best of all and in spite of what everyone thinks...they are dead nuts reliable.

My gal and I have put 56,000 trouble free miles on Ruby together and loved every minute of it.

So next time you see what you think is a knuckle dragging, biker wannabee...look past the stereotype.

There just might be more to the story than what you assume you see on the surface.

Rant over...thanks for listening.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #29
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,328
Is it Friday already?
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #30
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
We can be pretty cliquish too. We tend to make it hard for people to break into the old bike scene, sometimes.
Not all of us, but some of us.

And the guys who only think Harleys are worthwhile may know where there's a "worthless" minty CB350 or an R90S sitting around that can be had for a tune up on their Harley.