Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #91
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet428 View Post
There's another one I don't get. I've heard sporties called girls bikes or not a "real" harley because it isn't a big twin. What's not to like about a sportster? Erik Buell turned that powertrain into a rocket ship.
Sporties are a nice combination of light handling and decent power.

I think a lot of the hate they receive is because HD couldn't do what Erik did with it.

In these unenlightened times, if you can't beat 'em, ridicule still works if you talk loudly enough.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #92
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh Togo View Post
Sporties are a nice combination of light handling and decent power.
Relative to the brand, of course!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #93
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
My little contribution to popular culture and motorcycles dates back to the Early 90s when my girlfriend at the time worked for a company that published books featuring a well known secret agent.
She was sent a manuscript to assess before publication and showed me a part which described how the well known secret agent was in a chase riding a motorcycle and how he "revelled in the excellent handling of the Harley Davidson..."

"Is that right?" She asked " Harley's don't handle well do they?" ( I had taught her well obviously)
"Nah, they're shite" I replied, "The spy's British and he should ride a Triumph Daytona"

She sent the manuscript back and told the author to change it to a Triumph.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #94
Bigfeet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykill View Post
Relative to the brand, of course!
One word..... Buell
You are correct though sportsters don't have stellar handling or light weight.
Bigfeet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #95
elite1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
My little contribution to popular culture and motorcycles dates back to the Early 90s when my girlfriend at the time worked for a company that published books featuring a well known secret agent.
She was sent a manuscript to assess before publication and showed me a part which described how the well known secret agent was in a chase riding a motorcycle and how he "revelled in the excellent handling of the Harley Davidson..."

"Is that right?" She asked " Harley's don't handle well do they?" ( I had taught her well obviously)
"Nah, they're shite" I replied, "The spy's British and he should ride a Triumph Daytona"

She sent the manuscript back and told the author to change it to a Triumph.
Now that is cool. I'm always really particular about that kind of stuff. The first thing I would have thought of if I read that book would have been, "WTF! Harleys arent known for handling!!!"
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #96
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
My favourite - in one of those big blockbuster US spy books of the late 70's - was the hero riding the Harley with the foot throttle pushed all the way down...
Scrivens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #97
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
Now that is cool. I'm always really particular about that kind of stuff. The first thing I would have thought of if I read that book would have been, "WTF! Harleys arent known for handling!!!"
Yeah, I just read an otherwise good novel where the bad guy put easy-start in the fuel tank and then "turned the steering wheel" on a Cat D6. It made me cringe...
Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #98
elite1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Yeah, I just read an otherwise good novel where the bad guy put easy-start in the fuel tank and then "turned the steering wheel" on a Cat D6. It made me cringe...
Ouch. How can the editor be so clueless?
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #99
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There's worse: I read a novel by Alistair McClean about Formula 1 and on the first page it described a F1 car going down the straight, and its brake lights came on!!
Brake lights on a Formula 1 car???
Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #100
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
There's worse: I read a novel by Alistair McClean about Formula 1 and on the first page it described a F1 car going down the straight, and its brake lights came on!!
Brake lights on a Formula 1 car???
Yup. If it's wet...
Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #101
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Yeah, yeah I know it sounds petty, but it's my area of knowledge. I wonder how many other professionals get their trades mangled by authors who don't do their research?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #102
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
I have a cousin that still talks about the ride I gave her on my "Harley" years ago every time I see her. I am not sure how my old BMW turned into a Harley, but I didn't think it worth the effort to correct her. I still have the Beemer, but maybe I should give her a ride on my Ducati one of these days to see what it turns into.
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #103
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Yup. If it's wet...

Nope. Not even if it's wet. That's a rear light that stays on, not a brake light that comes on with the brakes.

Have you been a researcher for Alistair McLean?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #104
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Nope. Not even if it's wet. That's a rear light that stays on, not a brake light that comes on with the brakes.

Have you been a researcher for Alistair McLean?
You're absolutely right. I think they used to flash continuously though... It had me and McLean fooled. I have no excuse. He must be 172 years old now. He gets a pass.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #105
davidb21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenthdfan View Post
See what I mean?? The stereotype just keeps on giving...

I give up.
In my personal experience ive never been waved at by a harley rider and i see them ALOT living 10 mins from cooks corner...i used to try to wave at them only to be met with a "hard" look, whereas like 80% of dualsport,sportbike and even jap cruiser riders wave at me. Maybe thats just my area though.
davidb21 is offline   Reply With Quote