Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Would you trade your Strom for a KTM 990?

So I'm on the fence right now. Sold my 08 GSA to rid myself of some debt and am now back in the market for another bike. I want to pay cash for a bike so I wanna stay under 10k. Lower if possible. I have narrowed my choiced down to either a 9X0 or a Strom. I am a big guy at 6'4 240lbs and ride mostly slab. We relocated to Southern Utah though and I know there is alot of dirt to explore out there. I have a 360 mile commute to work each way and would ride the GSA once in awhile to give myself a break from the Honda Civic and just to get out and ride. I have ambitions of Alaska someday with my oldest son who will be 16 in a year and a half. Not 2 up but each of us on our own bikes. I would also love to ride the TAT someday. Is the Strom capable of those duties or is the KTM my better bike of choice. I know these are 2 entirely different bikes. I know the KTM can do both but at the moment I am more of a slab rider than offroad. I would however like to start doing more offroad stuff. Not sure how to go on this purchase. Things I do know. The Strom is bulletproof, has FI and better fuel mileage and will most likely be better on the road and can be bought used for around $5-6k for a well farkeled bike. The KTM will destroy the Wee in the dirt, I hear they are not to bad on the road but fuel mileage suffers and maintenance is high. Also earlier years that are more affordable are most likely carberated and not Fuel Injected. Not sure how big a deal that is though.

I'm really hoping to get some insite from some inmates that have spent time on both. Money is an issue but I want to buy the right one. I have owned 3 08 GSA's and while they where the best bikes I have ever owned I am in a different financial position than I was back then and don't want to pony up the money for one. And did I mention that every trip to the BMW Dealership was "EXPENSIVE"

Any insite would be appreciated..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I have a 360 mile commute to work each way
If this is not a typo I just want to say that is insane!
Anyway, I'm sort of in the same position so I'll be watching this thread.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,628
If you're comfortable doing your own maintenance and are a decent mechanic (with an Awesome set of tools...), get the used KTM. The sheer grin factor is off the charts. But you WILL be involved with that bike and you've got to enjoy doing it or you'll soon hate it.

However, if you're looking to keep things inexpensive and pile a lot of miles on the slab, the Strom would be a better choice, IMO, and will do many good things off road as long as you aren't trying to get all "Dakar" on yer bad self.

Edit: I don't have any saddle time on a Strom of any vintage but do have lots of miles on an Adventure. I used to ride with a guy on a Strom who could kick my ass off road...it's not the bike.

Chuckracer screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 06:57 PM
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,806
Apples!

And Oranges! One is an appliance and the other is a real motorcycle.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Rethy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Suzuki

The slab definately leans to the Strom. KTM light years better in the dirt. The Strom is more for gravel roads not single track. For 10K you can have the Strom for asphalt and a Honda XR650L for the real dirt there in Utah. The strom motors are bullet proof but the bikes suck at anything more than a gravel road when you leave the asphalt. And the 650L would be better than either one for TAT. Anything that will comfortably handle your daily 720 mile round trip is not going to get your far off road. You need 2 bikes :)
Rethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
maxjett
maxjett

Oddometer: 516
If you consider the grin factor then KTM.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I have a 360 mile commute to work each way

1 x NC700X + seat for Commute.
1 x KTM 6xx + tool set for Fun TAT etc.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 08:21 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Yes you did read it right I have a 360 mile commute. I am a Fireman and work 24hr shifts. I usually trade my days around so I come to work for 5 days straight then take off a week or 2. I only make 2-3 trips a month so it's really not that bad. Plus I get to live where I was born and raised and St. George is a beautiful area.

I'm leaning KTM but know I will be doing more slab than dirt. Maybe I can pick up an older KTM 990 for around $7k and find a CRF or WR 450 for around $3k for dirt fun. Oh the options... I actually bought an 04 VStrom DL1000 about 6 months ago. Owned if for a total of about 3 weeks. I bought it from a guy who was going through some financial trouble and needed a quick $1500 with full intentions of selling it. It had been wrecked before but was still a great deal for the price. It did not put a smile on my face and would head shake if you let go of the bars and dive to the left. Ended up selling for $2500. The bike was actually fairly comfortable but this one had issues I was convinced.. I think if I did get another Strom it would be the Wee for the fuel mileage etc. They seem to have a better following also.
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Globetrottin.com up in Salt Lake makes a windshield that isn't on their site that goes up and down very easily for on road/off road. Most important is that it's the only adventure windshield that I've ridden that has *zero* buffeting, and also importantly looks good. I'm 6'5 and was wearing a dual sport helmet when I was riding it, so it really says a lot I think.. If you email the owner he might send you some pics. It's nearly ingenious... If you had one of those I wouldn't hesitate to have a 990 at all, they are great on the freeway and most importantly are the best performing bike in the dirt of anything over 800ccs, period...

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,493
Couple of comments, I wouldn't. The 990 is simply too tall for me :). They are more capable bikes than the DL's but ....

Fuel consumption on the 990 will be a problem, A DL 650 will do 400k's on one tank of gas, a 990 won't. If that's 360 miles RETURN, filling the DL at each end will work, you may have to make an extra stop each way on a 990. If that's the case, the DL will likely be quicker on that commute A-B.

A DL 650 will also do 100,000k's with just normal maintenance (oil/filters/ valve shims maybe once), I doubt the 990 will.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 881
No...

Never.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
With the 990 you will be lucky to get more than 38 mpg's
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,799
Eek

Move closer to work.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
If I had your commute, I'd do the DL650 and buy a KTM dirt bike. The mileage on the KTM isn't good at all (but the bike is FUN).

I've rode both. Stroms are okay, but not exciting... KTM was exciting, but expensive and a gas hog. I recently bought a Tiger 800xc, which seems to be a great mix of fun, reliability and decent mileage.

Ride both, your heart will tell you what to do...
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,594
Find yourself a DL1000.

Its only 40lbs heavier than the 650, same ergos and a twist of the throttle will put an ear to ear grin on your face. If you ride conservatively you should be able to make the 360 mile commute on one tank of gas...

I love my Vee. I'm currently very torn because I've got the Vee and the F800. I'm having a hard time justifying two very similar, but very different bikes that do almost the same thing. I think what is going to happen in my house is the Vee will get a nice pair of Michelin Pilot Road 3s, and become my on-road Sport Tourer and the F800 will be my Adventure Touring machine.

Would I trade the Vee for a 900? Not a chance. The KTM is labour intensive (ask anyone that's done an oil change or fiddled with that screen thingy that needs to be cleaned once a year). I've done oil changes, the valves, plugs and the Yosh Box mod on my DL1000 and its hitting 40000 miles. I just can't imagine parting with it right now...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote