User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Celtic Curmudgeon OP
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 274
Supermoto or Enduro

I'm thinking about getting a 250-400 sized thumper for occasional off road use, but the whole supermoto thing has piqued my interest, as there are more good places around me for urban hooliganism that for off-roading. For someone who rides say, 80-90% street, would a supermoto type bike be a more useful choice than an enduro? Seems to me that for occasional off-road (mostly light trail) use a supermoto would be ok, and yet be much more useful (and fun) on the road. I'm interested in hearing from those who've owned both, and what you prefer.

Thanks.

Celtic Curmudgeon screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 06:17 PM Reason: typing impaired
Celtic Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Do both. Get a KTM exc or similar and get sm wheels and front brake for street riding and dirt wheels for dirt riding. 1/2 hour swap out (wheels, front brake and fender). Less maintenance go with sxc,smc, dr650, xr650, etc...

Chris618 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,087
I had the same idea, and made a combo bike.

I put an 18" hoop on the front of my '83 Honda XL600R. I used Kenda K761 tires to keep it useable off road, and street handling was a blast. At the moment, I have DOT knobbies on it, for more off road capability. Front off road tire selection is limited, though. The only thing you lose is the ability to bomb through rough terrain. The gains on the pavement will be worth it for the amount street you plan to ride.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
I think most riders with an enduro/dual sport bike would appreciate having a separate supermoto wheelset. Same for owners of factory supermoto bikes, they'd all probably love having a separate dirt rim set. Putting street tires on dirt rims and dirt tires on supermoto rims is a compromise that works for many people...but having two different wheel-sets with the appropriate tires on each is like having two different bikes at your disposal. I can rail the trails with my WR450f on its dirt rims then half an hour later can embarrass street riders when hitting the pavement on the supermoto rims.

Based on what you said your riding opportunities/preferences are, I'd say be on the lookout for a DRZ400SM or a WR250X. Then get a set of dirt wheels if you decide you want to get more serious into offroad riding with that bike and you feel the Su'mo wheels aren't cutting it offroad. You'll still be able to get around offroad with supermoto wheels and tires but it'll never be a real offroad bike especially if you ride in any loose terrain...and putting aggressive/knobbie tires on the supermoto rims will improve the bike offroad to a point.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,836
Have a TE630 enduro that I really enjoy off road but also picked up these a few days ago to save the true offroad tires for dirt and have something better suited for pavement/hardpack

The WR250R or x might be the best starting point for your interest.

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
I rode a MuZ 660 Streetmoto for several years. It was one of the very first OEM supermoto products with shorter suspension and wide 17 inch wheels. It was a very fun bike because it had a wonderful motor, combined with dirtbike ergonomics. It was good in an urban environment like downtown Boston with it's cow path streets always in disrepair (like how a Jeep Wrangler is )

However, I eventually discovered this website and wanted to do more dirt riding and long distance trips. I would have kept it if I could have found a larger gas tank to go with a proper wheel set.

Today I have a KTM 690R in Boston and a Yamaha WR250R in Phoenix. Both use DOT knobby tires and I find them the most useful motorcycles I've ever owned. They are primarily used as street bikes, but I try and ride a lot of dirt roads and dirt oriented events too.

I vote enduro style dual-sport designs.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
Have a TE630 enduro that I really enjoy off road but also picked up these a few days ago to save the true offroad tires for dirt and have something better suited for pavement/hardpack

The WR250R or x might be the best starting point for your interest.
That looks like a real nice set of tires for the OP; excellent street manners, with a bit of tread depth for mild off road use.

I agree that a factory SM is a easy place to start, but just throwing a different rim hoop on the front of an enduro (dual sport) is a cheap way to go. Bigger brakes and suspension upgrades will cost you, though, should you decide to go all the way.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i vote for dot knobbies. you can absolutely rip on the twisties with the right dot knobbies. i have guys on sportbikes and supermoto bikes scratching their heads and looking at my knobbies after a fast ride with them.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Celtic Curmudgeon OP
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 274
Thanks for the replies. I bought an ADV bike as my re-entry into motorcycling and really like it, but it's such a compromise, particularly in the dirt, that I think two bikes are better if you can afford it. Probably a touring cruiser for slabbing it, and then a DRZ400 or similar for playing in the dirt and farting around town.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,275
Just get a dualsport and put more road oriented tires on it.
You can't really get too off road with 17s. I have shinko 705s on my street wheels for my xr but still have knobbies.

JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote