Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
ScubaStevieG OP
2wheeledadventurer

Oddometer: 15
Should I be terrified of Sandy's salt water?

Hey GSers,

I live and ride year round in Hoboken NJ. During Sandy, my bike was parked on the ground floor and had water just below the axles, but not much higher for less than 8 hours. I did a bit of exploring the next couple of days in waters well over the pegs. I did my best to wash the bike down with fresh water, degreaser, and car wash soap after each ride (mainly to get rid of the baking poop smell)

(Don't laugh) I caught a few minutes of American Chopper where they tear down the 9/11 bike that was submerged at WTC and the thing was thoroughly thrashed...

How concerned should I be about my bolts and moving parts in the front end and rear wheel? How about the bearing seals and caliper seals/boots. ABS Sensors? I had waxed my chain about 100 miles before the storm rolled through and plan to degrease and do it all over again.

I ride all winter on salty/wet roads and wonder how this could be much different. ( I keep my bike well lubed and clean it regularly through the winter)Basically I think it would be wise to make an insurance claim now if I think that things are going to slowly go haywire in the future.

What say you wise gentlemen?
ScubaStevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Roadscum
Banned

Oddometer: 2,299
If it were me, I'd pull the wheels, remove the tires and clean the rims, bearings, and chain. It's been said that I' a bit anal.

Regards, Paul
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,875
Well, you could go all anal on it (sorry ) and do all of the above and then some like I do with the GF's bike cause she rides alone- then have her write it off 20 kms after I spent the weekend doing major service!

Well consider the following:

When are your tires due?
Fork oil change?
Valve check or major service?
Do you do the work or pay shop rate?

Hard to make a claim based on "maybe". Maybe you should've pushed it over and have it all under?

I'd say take a weekend, pick up some grease, anti-seize and beer to show it how much you care. An ounce of prevention. Here in Winterland, I do a full service in the late fall. Just did tires/valve check/steering brgs/wheel brgs etc. That way I can ride all summer with little concern.

YMMV

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
ScubaStevieG OP
2wheeledadventurer

Thanks Reaver -

I do basic maintenance myself (wheels, oil, farkles and electrics, bearings, chain tension) I leave the inner bits to the pros ( valve adjustments, clutch etc).

I was thinking of taking it to the BMW shop for a full service and attempting to make a claim on anything that they said needed replaced or repaired based on water damage. Of course, I'd check with my agent first...

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Well, you could go all anal on it (sorry ) and do all of the above and then some like I do with the GF's bike cause she rides alone- then have her write it off 20 kms after I spent the weekend doing major service!

Well consider the following:

When are your tires due?
Fork oil change?
Valve check or major service?
Do you do the work or pay shop rate?

Hard to make a claim based on "maybe". Maybe you should've pushed it over and have it all under?

I'd say take a weekend, pick up some grease, anti-seize and beer to show it how much you care. An ounce of prevention. Here in Winterland, I do a full service in the late fall. Just did tires/valve check/steering brgs/wheel brgs etc. That way I can ride all summer with little concern.

YMMV
Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
ScubaStevieG OP
2wheeledadventurer

Thanks Paul - That makes sense to me and was exactly how I was thinking I would spend my time this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
If it were me, I'd pull the wheels, remove the tires and clean the rims, bearings, and chain. It's been said that I' a bit anal.

Regards, Paul
Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,475
just put some WD40 on it and off you go (don't forget the chain)

No just kidding. I'd wash it from the inside out like suggested and wouldn't play lottery with a bike. Since wheel bearings tempt to disintegrate I really wouldn't like to accelerate this project with salt water. Maybe it'll cost you several hours of work but will give you several more miles to ride after that and you'll safe a lot of money. And don't forget that loctite when you're bolding it up all over again.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
If the water level was below the axels what are u worring about, seriously ? Wash the bike with a high-pressure cleaner, rinse the chain, then soak it with WD 40 and then blow all the dirt off with compressed air, lubricate it. Done.
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
+1 on what steveman said.

You can do more for the fun of it...of if paying some one is no issue.

doing a deep stream crossing or riding on salty roads here in New England is more hazardous that what you have been exposed to.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
ScubaStevieG OP
2wheeledadventurer

Thanks All! One last detail which I briefly touched on. I rode around in salty, oily, shit filled floodwaters for a total of about an hour. Does that change your opinions? I did cleanup up afterwards. I suppose bearings and most other items need to be sealed because they are external and often exposed during trail riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
+1 on what steveman said.

You can do more for the fun of it...of if paying some one is no issue.

doing a deep stream crossing or riding on salty roads here in New England is more hazardous that what you have been exposed to.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Jamm
Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaStevieG View Post
Thanks All! One last detail which I briefly touched on. I rode around in salty, oily, shit filled floodwaters for a total of about an hour. Does that change your opinions? I did cleanup up afterwards. I suppose bearings and most other items need to be sealed because they are external and often exposed during trail riding...
So now you own a nasty tasting, slimy, turd of a bike (your description, different words). You used her for what she's made for. Unless it was submerged scrub'r down, rinse her off, lube the exterior moving parts and get back into the saddle.
Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamm View Post
scrub'r down, rinse her off, lube the exterior moving parts and get back into the saddle.
Good advice for several situations....
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,018
Everything is sealed, waters not going to get into the bearings, engine, forks, etc. Unless a seal is bad, then any water (fresh or salt) is going to cause the same problem.

Now if you submerse the bike (meaning the whole bike goes under water), water can get into your engine thorough the exhaust, intake, crank case vents, etc and that will make a mess of the inside.

Just wash it off, and oil the chain. And don't high pressure spray it, that can cause damage even if you live in the desert. High pressure water can and will be forced past orings, seals, gaskets, etc.