Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
I rode a honda 125 from Indonesia to Europe in 1976. In hind sight I would have been better off on a BMW. Dave
Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,221
are they? DR650 thread is the largest one on ADV.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135295
the GS layout at the top is original design from Baldy as i'm guessing he really liked the GS.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Could the answer be that thumpers are under-represented because of thumertalk.com?
no. thumpertalk leans heavily more towards dirtbikes not dual-sports.
bike specific thumper forums have more info than the thumper forums here however.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
Forrest39
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Why no BMW Thumpers here?

I notice that the boxers and parallel twins get their due attention in GSpot, and rightly so. But why do BMW thumpers have to go to a different section? Seems they get quite a bit of real world GS exposure (and maybe even more so than the boxers). Not trying to trigger a range war… I'm just sayin'….
-Kevin
Forrest39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,099
Well, I can't speak for the rest of them, but I'm not tall, not dark, not handsome and I have a small penis. I needed some way to look superior. I try to keep my mouth shut in order not to remove all doubt. It's actually my mom's GS but she lets me wash it at the end of the driveway on saturdays while wearing her Rallye 2 pro gear. After, I take it into the back yard and put mud cakes on it. I mail order stickers from far away places and slap those on the cases. I read all the ride reports so I can talk about places I've never been. Hell, sometimes I post contradictory opinions on tires, oil and suspension even tho ma won't let me ride. One day, when I'm man enough I'll get my own.

My name is Reaver, and I have a problem.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #21
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Well, I can't speak for the rest of them, but I'm not tall, not dark, not handsome and I have a small penis. I needed some way to look superior. I try to keep my mouth shut in order not to remove all doubt. It's actually my mom's GS but she lets me wash it at the end of the driveway on saturdays while wearing her Rallye 2 pro gear. After, I take it into the back yard and put mud cakes on it. I mail order stickers from far away places and slap those on the cases. I read all the ride reports so I can talk about places I've never been. Hell, sometimes I post contradictory opinions on tires, oil and suspension even tho ma won't let me ride. One day, when I'm man enough I'll get my own.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
wipe-out
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Old 11-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #23
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are BMW GS models so over represented on this site, followed closely by oilhead boxers?
Why? BMW bikes bemoan bounteous bullshit.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #24
qcridgerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Why ? For the secret code, dude !

BMW stands for Be My Woman. Only a handful of people know that, like George Cloney and Brad Pitt who are BMW owners. And look what happens to them ! Magnets, like the rest of us here...
Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
"Magnetic" for sure!

I need a fly-swatter to shoo people away from my bike at every pitstop.....ooooing....aaaing....and asking: Is that a dirt bike? How fast does it go? Golly, that thing is sooooo cool.

Oddly, my KLR never attracted gawkers like this, and mine was really well-sorted.

After two years of feeling like a public ambassador, I'm kind of yearning for more obscurity again. I mean...they never give it a rest. If you're in a hurry and just ignore the inquiries, you get labeled "another BMW snob". Maybe THAT is the source....hhhmmm.

Think I'll start wearing some (hunter's) skunk scent to repel the wannabes more discreetly.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #26
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
"Magnetic" for sure!

After two years of feeling like a public ambassador, I'm kind of yearning for more obscurity again. I mean...they never give it a rest. If you're in a hurry and just ignore the inquiries, you get labeled "another BMW snob". Maybe THAT is the source....hhhmmm.
Amen.

Somewhere in Quebec there are two guys that think I'm a BMW snob.

Their perspective: Oh look, a cute blonde girl on a fancy bike with a far away plate and an ugly guy on a dirty bike. I have all night........

Our perspective: We'd just completed a Gaspe Peninsula tour and needed to get some more miles in to reach our hotel. It was dusk, my headlight was blown and we'd just tore through a murder of deer crossing the highway sending cars in every direction including right at us. My bike is grey with no headlight and it was dusk remember......Stopped at the iconic Canadian coffee shop that was right there to swap my bulbs and check my undies. I had a flashlight in my mouth and was muttering bad words while trying to fiddle with the wires and clips. My GF was standing there with two cups in hand at her bike. They must've figured she was just eye candy and wanted to talk to me in their Franglish (that's the combo of french and english that requires full attention to understand). I did my best to be nice but............Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd. You can see where this is going.

When you work your butt off 50 wks a year and have just two left to go on an epic ride, there's not a lot of time to socialize. I don't get much attention when not fully packed at a local shop looking uninteresting but with time to kill.

So, the original Q Why BMW?

Because I've had my share of dirt bikes etc. I want a fuel injected bike for the changing elevations, lots of power, adventure potential with lots of accessory options, heated grips for cold mountain passes, a "real" fuel gauge with a computer, tire pressure monitoring for her bike cause I'm not always around to check, a smart bike that knows what's wrong with it. A 3 yr warranty. Etc etc. My research shows I need a GS.

And because I'm older and can afford it.

And deserve it.

So my cover is blown then (post # 20).
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #27
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I thought BMW meant Burning My Wallet!
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #28
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Amen.

So, the original Q Why BMW?

Because I've had my share of dirt bikes etc. I want a fuel injected bike for the changing elevations, lots of power, adventure potential with lots of accessory options, heated grips for cold mountain passes, a "real" fuel gauge with a computer, tire pressure monitoring for her bike cause I'm not always around to check, a smart bike that knows what's wrong with it. A 3 yr warranty. Etc etc. My research shows I need a GS.

Don't you know that the GS Fuel gauge is for enterntainment puposes only or are these quotation marks refering to it?

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #29
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,515
Nothing feels like a BMW when it is right. Noting frustrates more when it isn't. Then you fix it and Oh Yea.

Plus the Koolaid is so tasty..

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #30
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:

Maybe when she's finished with the bike she'll leave it to Reaver
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote