User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,675
Question Ute or 1 tonner?

As I get older, the options of the bikes I've got get wider. Good, or what? Now, there is this developing situation where I want to take multiple bikes to specific events. I may even find it desirable to load the sidecar and do a drive/ride tour. pharqmoi!

I've never had a ute or 1 tonner. Any time I've wanted to cart bikes it's been in the box trailer, which has been fitted with rather rudimentary channels for the front wheels. I can just fit two bikes, with difficulty. Sooner or later, I'll have to lash out on another trailer. That's not the current question.

From the experience of the many, what are the positives & negatives of a 'style side' ute against a drop sides, table top 1 tonner?

Most obvious for me is that the ute is lower but, how hard is it to fit 2 full size motorcycles into a ute?
Do I need a ladder to load bikes onto a 1 tonner?

Beyond that, I'm listening.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
As I get older, the options of the bikes I've got get wider. Good, or what? Now, there is this developing situation where I want to take multiple bikes to specific events. I may even find it desirable to load the sidecar and do a drive/ride tour. pharqmoi!

I've never had a ute or 1 tonner. Any time I've wanted to cart bikes it's been in the box trailer, which has been fitted with rather rudimentary channels for the front wheels. I can just fit two bikes, with difficulty. Sooner or later, I'll have to lash out on another trailer. That's not the current question.

From the experience of the many, what are the positives & negatives of a 'style side' ute against a drop sides, table top 1 tonner?

Most obvious for me is that the ute is lower but, how hard is it to fit 2 full size motorcycles into a ute?
Do I need a ladder to load bikes onto a 1 tonner?

Beyond that, I'm listening.
Got a ute at the moment Ray, and I've had flat trays. For carrying bikes, a flat tray is the way to go IMO. Most full sized bikes wont fit in the back of normal utes without having the tailgate down, or off. Take the sides off a flat bed and it doesn't matter if it's a bit long or wide, especially with an outfit. Get the right one and height isn't an issue either. My ute would be as high as most flat beds.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
vudu_52
Black Magic

Oddometer: 121
Ex Ambulance LWB Commodore

Hi I had the very same predicament quite a few years ago and came up with this solution for carrying two road bikes to classic rallies.

Tailgate can be closed even with a GL1000 Goldwing on board.

"Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own." Jubal Harshaw

vudu_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
As you say the ute is lower and has the wheel arches in the carry area. The table top is taller and has no wheel arches impinging on the goods area. Utes are only as wide as the cab. Where as the table top is wider than the cabin on 99.9% of table tops I see.

I know you are dealing with utes/table tops, but I caution that a good hot gal dipped trailer will last forever and each vehicle you have simply has to have a towbar and wiring. You can even have a trailer custom built to meet your needs and it just sits at home until you need it. There are many trailer builds on ADV to cover that side of things.

Slightly off topic but has anyone ever seen fork tube failure in bikes that are tied down like vudu's above? Mate, nothing against what you do but I always wonder (I'm no engineer) whether fork tubes are designed or capable of being tied off like that and not eventually fail... I've only ever seen tie downs attached to handlebars or attached to custom brackets on the triple clamps. I know the strength in a long tube is in the vertical axis or along the tube. The weakest part is across the tube.

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014

jtb screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 02:31 PM
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,542
Ute - One tonners are just that much higher and harder to load / unload
Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,057
I used to load my Ducketty up on the tray of a 2006 Rodeo 4WD to go to the drags sometimes (when I was looking forward to REALLY getting into it, rather than riding home again!). The flat bed was 950mm off the deck, and every time I used to get up there and roll it backwards down the ramp my mates used to cringe and look away.........

Utes are generally MUCH lower, makes it 10 times easier to ride the things up and roll them off, normally they're about 650mm off the ground.

Just to really confuse the issue, and your thought processes, might I suggest a van of some sort? Most of the guys at the drags take ther bikes in SWB Transits/Hiace/iLoad etc. Plenty of space for two bikes easily with change, lots of room left for tools and eskys, the load height is lower again (550-600mm), and the diesel vans use SFA fuel, so you can go to vintage meets twice as far away.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
I know you are dealing with utes/table tops, but I caution that a good hot gal dipped trailer will last forever and each vehicle you have simply has to have a towbar and wiring. You can even have a trailer custom built to meet your needs and it just sits at home until you need it. There are many trailer builds on ADV to cover that side of things.
+1 for this. Buy a car that you are happy to drive every day, every where and has the capacity to tow a purpose built trailer for that occaisional away trip. I've probably mentioned that I have happily towed around 2 x XS1100s in a 7x5 trailer behind my diesel Golf getting 7.5 l/100km. Had a few wagons and utes but much prefer the Golf for everyday use.

Trailer is also lower for loading.

We can debate this tomorrow
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu_52 View Post
Hi I had the very same predicament quite a few years ago and came up with this solution for carrying two road bikes to classic rallies.

Tailgate can be closed even with a GL1000 Goldwing on board.
How can anyone trust the opinion of someone who has 2 CX Hondas?

And I suppose you made all the effort to restore them too?

Good to see that the two bikes do fit into a ute. I should clarify that the 1 tonner is the first preference, but there are so many more utes around.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,845
Did you see my trailer on Tuesdy...7' x 4'.6 " and I get my Kato in frontwards in the middle and the boys Hondas in backwards...it does need some better extra anchor points though....you can borrow it and try it if you like...no charge...you can fit the new anchor points and I wont charge for that either..
Old 11-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Tripod I've had both styles over the years, both in 2 and 4 wheel drive,s and some of these started life as tubs but ended as trays. All my utes end up as tray-back,s

The advantages of a tray for me are its width for things like sheet metal & wide delivery's like the horse drawn carriages I build. Nothing getting in the way. No narrow openings at the rear door.

Funny these are things inly now being addressed by the likes of VW.

On a tray you get access from three sides when loading and tying down. With drop sides your gear isn't going to roll off.
The down side is for some designs the floor is built too high particularly on the 4x4,s.When it doesn't need to be.

Even a tub will have a higher floor than a trailer when it comes to loading up a ramp. This could be a problem with a bigger bike and a shorter person.

I know of no musterers or cocky,s round here with tubs. They all have quads or 250dys on board loaded by ramp and all on 4x4,s so I guess its not too big a problem getting on or off. YouTubes full of fails though.

Thats my thoughts.

gateman screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 04:19 PM
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGra View Post
and I get my Kato in frontwards in the middle
Have to trailer it a lot Unc?
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
Old 11-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,481
I have a 91 2wd Hilux, and the wife has a 02 Falcon ute.

Ute is easier to load because it is lower, but the bike has to be loaded diagonally or the tail gate has to be down (I have a feeling hers is a space cab or something like that).

My drop side really isn't that much worse to load (I load and unload by myself), I can fit two bikes easily with room behind them, and have had three bikes on at times.
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
Just to really confuse the issue, and your thought processes, might I suggest a van of some sort? Most of the guys at the drags take ther bikes in SWB Transits/Hiace/iLoad etc. Plenty of space for two bikes easily with change, lots of room left for tools and eskys, the load height is lower again (550-600mm), and the diesel vans use SFA fuel, so you can go to vintage meets twice as far away.
You can sleep in them and lock your gear up. Currently considering a Hyundai iLoad or a VW Transporter for non bike reasons. Drive like a car with the advantage of carrying a shitload of stuff. Maybe the Golf will fit in the back
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayeslane View Post
You can sleep in them and lock your gear up.
........and if you get an old Kombi like I had for a while, easy-peasy to roll the Ducati drag bike out the side door, roll out the side canvas and set up the little Weber and the kettle, then lounge in comfort in the back in a beanbag, much to your drag mates envy!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Slightly off topic but has anyone ever seen fork tube failure in bikes that are tied down like vudu's above? Mate, nothing against what you do but I always wonder (I'm no engineer) whether fork tubes are designed or capable of being tied off like that and not eventually fail... I've only ever seen tie downs attached to handlebars or attached to custom brackets on the triple clamps. I know the strength in a long tube is in the vertical axis or along the tube. The weakest part is across the tube.

I blew a set of fork seals on my transalp...all I did was jump the ute off a cattle grid at about 140, got a little crossed up and shredded the utes tyres.... you'd think a 15 yo set of fork seals would cope ...

Back on topic, I use a twin cab triton ute (98 model), it's JUST possible to get the tailgate up if you put the front wheel up on the wheel arch and park the bike diagonally (transalp or ktm 640). Most of the time I just leave the tailgate a little down (held in place with tie downs). Getting the bike on the back is a PITA. I use 2 of the alloy folding ramps and walk it up under motor. I expect one day it or I will fall over in the process. A trailer is much easier to load, but then it's also harder to park when you're going shopping but dropping the bike off at the shop at the same time

A 4 wd ute gives you the flexibility of retrieving a bike out of the bush ...only done it a few times , but nice when you need it.
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote