ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #271
Dozer Dillon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Ned,

Thanks for the update. I'll post it over on KTMTalk for you.
Blue Ribbon
COHVCO
Dozer Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #272
Toby-CO
Noob is accurate

Oddometer: 117
Which is the best map to buy to ride this trial network?
Toby-CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #273
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
There is some great news in the air- Basically, we can access pipeline from the top/ Frostys (NOT from the bottom/ Jones!), cross over and go up "Runs down fast", and come back out to Frosty's (or the reverse of this loop). When combined with the Rosa saddle, there's at least something worthwhile to ride up there.
Is there an on-line map available that shows the area/loop that's been re-opened?

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #274
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Yes. Follow the link that Ned posted to see a trail map.
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #275
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,750
Here's the map. Ned, thanks for all your ongoing efforts with this project.

Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #276
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
How hard is this single track?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #277
no2tracks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Hard

This is not a trail system for beginners. It has difficult climbs that can result in the area being torn to sheet by inexperienced riders getting stuck and trying to roost their way out. The only easy trails are 701 and 626. The others have difficult hillclimbs.
no2tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #278
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhollamby View Post
How hard is this single track?
668 = Pipeline:
Heading down/North is the easiest, but there is exposure that might freak some out. And the one part that is steep, is VEEERRRY steep.

Heading up, south - This would be an extreme trail. The exposure side on your left, with some rock ledges that are diagonal. Then the STEEP part, you might be pushing, pulling and dragging up.

Yeah there is some up's heading West, ones a huge boulder but its like slick rock just don't panic. I would say this trail is moderate

Heading East is easy to Moderate, just a few moderately steep parts.

Going south, I give it Moderate to Hard

Going North, I would say Moderate

672 - Mt Rosa
Going East, this is a VEEERY extreme trail, switch backs with ledges that are on steep climbs and in a rock field. When you get to the top you have to come down, and down is STEEP, tight switch backs with ledges on the switch backs...even once you think your clear its steep steep and more steep heading down. Not a trail for a NEW riders at all. Extreme TRAIL

Going West, LOL Good luck is all I will say. Very steep, very rocky, some boulder hop ups, and then you get to the exposed switch backs with ledges on the switch backs. Good luck.

This is EASY and short, this be a good one for a new rider to hit. If you have trouble here then stay off all the other stuff.

The Jeep roads in the area are fun too, and you can also be challenged. It's a good place for newer riders to practice.

FR379, except down to Seven Lakes Rd...VERY STEEP so your return will be extreme up that one bit.

FR370.C - Eagle Rock (Popular Jeep Trail)
Going down not that bad, going up its Jeep size boulders so this can become Extreme. Up would be North.

If your plated, lots of Jeep Trails to explore from easy to Moderate to Extreme in the area. Have fun.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #279
BBooch
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I'm very excited to hear about the new opening of this loop! 720 uphill has always been my favorite section of the whole system.
Keep in mind, there is still potential of an entire new trail system being built over the next few years so let's show everyone we are a responsible group and stay off closed sections!

And like Modette said, nothing in here is really for beginners, unless you're naturally good at this stuff. Mountain bike experience would help. Maybe practice the jeep roads above Frosty's first.
BBooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #280
modette
RMAR

I'm going to hit Mt Rosa Monday (tomorrow) from East to West the most difficult direction. As stated not a beginner route at all. Any interest from experienced riders as you are welcome to join.

If a few newer riders want to come, you guys can play on 626 and the Jeep Roads...lots to explore we can then meet back up and I can show you around, and do what I can to give you pointers.

I got a 52 Tooth rear sprocket I need to go out and put on, and also mount the new GPS unit. See how this sprocket will work for 5MoH for next month.

No time set yet, I was thinking early just to avoid any bad weather. I plan to hitch carry up to FR379...probably Unload there at Gold Camp and FR379.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #281
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
668 = Pipeline:
Heading down/North is the easiest, but there is exposure that might freak some out. And the one part that is steep, is VEEERRRY steep.

Thanks for the great description.

I wanted to join you today, but was nervous about difficulty level and didn't want to hold you up (I'm newer to off road bikes). I found your descriptions spot on. I road my house-->old stage-->379-->701-->720-->668-->379--> 379A-->back . 668 was certainly a climb but made it without being dismounted/hung up/permanently stuck. 701 and 720 are a blast, 668 rocky/steep for sure but the mt-43's helped me a ton.

Trying 672 next.

Thanks again for all the info. We need to link up sometime.

------

FYI the fresh cut trees across the trail at the intersection 720/668 were moved, and saw dirt bikes down the trail. I pulled the cut trees back across the trail.

Anyone know when the "No Motorized Vehicle" signs will be removed on the now legal trails? A couple mountain bikers gave me shit about being on 701- but i printed the forest service notice and had it with me ...they were upset

Ryan
Old 09-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #282
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Thanks for the great description.

I wanted to join you today, but was nervous about difficulty level and didn't want to hold you up (I'm newer to off road bikes). I found your descriptions spot on. I road my house-->old stage-->379-->701-->720-->668-->379--> 379A-->back . 668 was certainly a climb but made it without being dismounted/hung up/permanently stuck. 701 and 720 are a blast, 668 rocky/steep for sure but the mt-43's helped me a ton.

Trying 672 next.

Thanks again for all the info. We need to link up sometime.

------

FYI the fresh cut trees across the trail at the intersection 720/668 were moved, and saw dirt bikes down the trail. I pulled the cut trees back across the trail.

Anyone know when the "No Motorized Vehicle" signs will be removed on the now legal trails? A couple mountain bikers gave me shit about being on 701- but i printed the forest service notice and had it with me ...they were upset

Ryan
Thank you....

I saw no one, but was waiting to have to stop to educate in a nice way. They also forget we have maintained the trail, will they should we be shut out for good...I'm guessing NO.

Yep that sign on 720 needs to be removed...I was low on time or I would have wrenched it off. I bet the Forest Service did not even put it there.

Yeah we can hook up and ride sometime....
Old 09-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #283
modette
RMAR

And here is the video:
Old 09-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #284
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
And here is the video:
Don't you hate how go-pro never shows the steepness. Good ride, going to hit it this week sometime after work.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #285
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Don't you hate how go-pro never shows the steepness. Good ride, going to hit it this week sometime after work.
Yeah it does stink it looks so flat in the video...on the way down I did some talking. The way up I stopped to catch my breath a lot...dang 10,000 - 11,000 feet.