ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #61
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523

Good post, thanks for your hard work.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #62
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,062
Thank you, but I sure can't take credit; I'm just as guilty for not doing enough or more as many others, but I see the heavy hitters working their butts off on this and it's a shame to see all the hours of meetings and strategizing and work they've put into this being trivialized.
Thanks again to all of you both here on the forum and off forum who are doing the real work in protecting the freedom to ride these trails!

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #63
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,093
ummm huh!!! someone has their panties in a knot.

Being a part of RMAR we donated $2,000 to Don (TPA). We also donated $5,000 to COHVCO. I estimate I probably donated $5,000 worth of my time, not to mention some hard cash at various rides, events and get together's. So what in the world are you talking about Wings that people were left in the wind...all I can think of is the trail maintenance day that Ned was doing is your beef!!!

In fact I was going to do that day but had family obligations that to me take president over any HOBBY I do in life. Sorry I don't read every post, every thread on here to know the up to date issues...you obviously do at 13,000 post count. The meeting with Don Riggle he let us with RMAR know. I'm more in the loop then you think.

If I was not passionate about this addiction I have for riding I would not donate my time, I would not of went to the CMTRA last meeting to warn about Wilderness plan for Rampart and make people aware. So again what you going ON ABOUT?

modette screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 03:34 PM
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #64
duct tape
Lost

Oddometer: 413
Rode by the lower Gold Camp parking lot today on my mtn bike at around 3PM. Huge crowd of trucks, dirt bikes, gawkers, etc. Lots of folks saying goodbye to an old friend. Hopefully temporarily until the TPA et al. can get the legal response going, which will cost $25K +.

Gonna need a lot more cash so if you love Jacks please help by giving whatever you can to the TPA. Anything will help.

http://coloradotpa.org/participate/donate.html

Trails Preservation Alliance www.coloradotpa.org
Colorado OHV Coalition www.cohvco.org
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #65
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
Rode by the lower Gold Camp parking lot today on my mtn bike at around 3PM. Huge crowd of trucks, dirt bikes, gawkers, etc. Lots of folks saying goodbye to an old friend. Hopefully temporarily until the TPA et al. can get the legal response going, which will cost $25K +.

Gonna need a lot more cash so if you love Jacks please help by giving whatever you can to the TPA. Anything will help.

http://coloradotpa.org/participate/donate.html
It's suppose to be a temporary closure over this winter so they can do a study. Lets hope a re-route works...which no reason why it should not if the trail's don't go near the sensitive area.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #66
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
ummm huh!!! someone has their panties in a knot.

Being a part of RMAR we donated $2,000 to Don (TPA). We also donated $5,000 to COHVCO. I estimate I probably donated $5,000 worth of my time, not to mention some hard cash at various rides, events and get together's. So what int he world are you talking about Wings that people were left...trail maintenance that Ned was doing!!!

In fact I was going to do that day but had family obligations that to me take president over any HOBBY I do in life. Sorry I don't read every post, every thread on here...you obviously do at 13,000 post count.

If I was not passionate about this addiction I have for riding I would not donate my time, I would not of went to the CMTRA last meeting to warn about Wilderness plan for Rampart and make people aware. So again what you going ON ABOUT?
We all share the same passion, it's the reason I posted it despite the fact I knew I'd make some folks very defensive and angry and would be receiving childish comments; this was obviously very predictable and I expected nothing less.

I tried to point out pretty clear what my concern was, maybe you should read the post again? Or maybe I did not communicate clearly enough, the pot sure got stirred, it seemed like you understood I didn't think riding a whole bunch of big bikes down a now closed single track due to allegedly placing sediment in the creek an endangered species of trout inhabits wasn't a good approach in achieving the goal of this "temporary" closure really being temporary.

It's about riding the closed single track trail as an organized bunch to protest the closure in an effort to stand up for your freedom and thus effect the decision of closure in a positive way (in your opinion, or at least that's the way it's come across to me).

It's also about the lack of public info and knowledge regarding this, as you pointed out yourself, which I found curious especially because of the sudden outburst of interest by some (obviously when this thread was posted), again, including yourself, in protecting this trail now that a closure has been affected, whereas months on end have gone by during which a group of people have tirelessly worked on preventing said trail closure in numerous ways including endless meetings, surveying the area, writing proposals, meeting with legal staff, and yes, doing trail maintenance too. You went to the last meeting and through your club, have made some contributions, which is great and greatly appreciated, so you should have an interest in protecting your investment and your passion.

I generally try to avoid doing more damage than good, both on the trail and when it comes to the legal fights. Some folks don't, no matter what, as long as they get their word in, which is why some battles won't be won.

Cheers

Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #67
modette
RMAR

You need to re-read my post. Its not closed yet. (as far as I know) So why shouldn't i ride Captain Jacks in a group or myself or whatever...its legal to ride still.

And if your upset with me then direct your anger at Raul Duke, and others that are also riding it *shrug*
Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #68
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
I'll be there Sunday. Looking forward to riding with whoever can make it.
I wonder how long it will take the these crazies to try and keep us off of 717 because of the elk...or squirrels even
It be good to ride with you again...I'm looking at riding down.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #69
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Uhh, it looks like THIS is what the supposed "enviro-nazis" wanted:

"The Center for Biological Diversity has proposed rerouting the ORV trail out of Bear Creek — something the national forest has admitted would be relatively easy "

Just ("just") get the trail out of the creek. THAT is what the enviro group asked for and THAT is what the FS didn't do?????
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #70
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
You need to re-read my post. Its not closed yet. (as far as I know) So why shouldn't i ride Captain Jacks in a group or myself or whatever...its legal to ride still.

And if your upset with me then direct your anger at Raul Duke, and others that are also riding it *shrug*
Wow, you really don't get it, do you?

And of course it's always best when you don't have a valid point to make to point the finger at others instead, that works really well and puts you in such a great light. Classy.

It's obviously a waste of breath to discuss this any further with you since attempting to clarify or pointing out the actual issue continues to make you drag this into a different direction that has nothing to do with the point I made, so go for it, try and put your head through the wall.

Or, you could just as well publicly join the opposition, they're laughing behind your back and having a field day when they see folks like you roll up to help their cause.

Take care, it's all you, congrats.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #71
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Uhh, it looks like THIS is what the supposed "enviro-nazis" wanted:

"The Center for Biological Diversity has proposed rerouting the ORV trail out of Bear Creek — something the national forest has admitted would be relatively easy "

Just ("just") get the trail out of the creek. THAT is what the enviro group asked for and THAT is what the FS didn't do?????
The context of this quote does not sound right. Can you post a link to the rest of this text? This has been one fight where the rider community and FS have been, for the most part, working together. Moving any trail anywhere these days would not be considered "relatively easy".
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #72
modette
RMAR

I will apologies for Wings as he keeps taking this off topic with his BS...

So anyways I was thinking I have some goodies (sponsor stuff leftovers)...so whoever shows tomorrow at noon and donates money ($20 minimum) to Raul Duke or Myself will get a 50% off coupon to pitposse (while supplies last, 36 cards left). All money will go to Don Riggle with the TPA.

So come out and join us for what might be the last ride of the Captain.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #73
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,755
DO NOT misconstrue my riding Jacks this last weekend as anything related to a show of force or any other crap like that.

Jacks has a very near and dear place in my heart. I think Duct Tape stated it very well – “Lots of folks saying goodbye to an old friend.” Jacks was the very first true Colorado singletrack I rode all those years ago (Thank you Papa and Indy) – that was longer ago than I care to admit these days. I saw riders today that I don’t think I have seen on that trail in 15 years. I have to say it really got to me.

This weekend is a bit of closure for me. If I cannot ride that trail again in the future (I hope and pray that is not the case), at least I was able to revisit the memories that I have made there over the years.

I give what I can, volunteer when I can, I preach the riders gospel every chance I get.
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #74
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
The context of this quote does not sound right. Can you post a link to the rest of this text? This has been one fight where the rider community and FS have been, for the most part, working together. Moving any trail anywhere these days would not be considered "relatively easy".
Paul - Post #15 2nd 1/2. Straight from the CBD press release/website.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/n...9-13-2012.html
COHVCO
TPA

Raul Duke screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 08:43 PM
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #75
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
Yes along with it's partnership organization the TPA. For this particular fight TPA is taking the lead.

I know nobody wants to hear this and I hope it does not start a pissing match.

But here we have yet another lawsuit to deal with, and that costs money.

Both the TPA http://coloradotpa.org and COHVCO http://COHVCO.org NEEEEEED help financially. Those that will see us gone from the woods have MUCH deeper pockets.

We belong to a group that will spend $100 on a tire and much more on "farkles" but usually won't send a lot to these organizations.

I'll say it again, there are over 150,000 registered OHV in Colorado and less than 3,000 COHVCO members.

It's estimated that we'll need at least 100k just to fight the lawsuits that are underway right now....so if you do the math, it does not add up.

Rodzilla is absolutely correct. Both the TPA and COHVCO are in the center of this fight and have been for months. Rest assured that your COHVCO membership dues are being well used. Also consider a contribution to the TPA....the organization is a 501c3 are you will receive a tax deduction for your contribution.

As for RMAR, we are waiting on direction from Riggle. RMAR will not do anything to harm the work that needs to be done over the next few months. Everyone needs to understand that this will be an ugly fight and the public perception is critical. We cannot put a foot forward where we will be viewed as a rebellious outlaw bunch.

I am guessing that a reroute will be an answer......but yes, this is a fight we cannot loose......or it will be Ginny bar the Door on every trail in the mountain west. Remember that the CBD is out of Oregon and will fight everywhere.

I beg everyone to be sensible, thoughtful, professional and don't let your emotions cause damage to the efforts.

Thanks to you all for your passion and your willingness to fight. Let's just do it smart.

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote